PDA

View Full Version : Best Exposure

Tufa
05-30-2010, 11:24 PM
We are a sculpting company that has a concentration in Millstones. How have you gotten your business noticed? Have you gone to shows? Rented property for displays? Gave away freebies? Thanks for your answers.

www.R-U-Stoned.com

tadpole
05-31-2010, 10:13 AM
Not an answer to your question, but I like your products, especially the leaf and acorns. Your millstones would make great Bubbler bases.

PaperCutter
05-31-2010, 10:20 AM
Shoot, if you're offering freebies...

Let me put you in touch with my brother, who has a water garden business in New England. He sells to contractors and homeowners through his retail store and definitely has a need for competitively priced natural stone products. You don't have enough posts to PM me, so shoot me an email at david [at] revolutionarygardens [d o t ] com and I'll do an email introduction.

PaperCutter
05-31-2010, 10:21 AM
oh yeah, and to echo tadpole- nice pieces!

DVS Hardscaper
05-31-2010, 11:40 AM
One way yto get noticed is to become a paying vender here at Lawnsite.

For those of us with loved ones and friends with addiction problems - the "R U Stoned" phrase doesn't sit well, as we do not find that cute, clever, or funny in anyway.......

2low4NH
06-01-2010, 12:09 AM
Agreed its a "fun" name for say a teenager but it puts a label on the company right away. I can understand where you were going as we have a huge natural stone portfolio so to speak but not a name i would ever pick.

DVS Hardscaper
06-01-2010, 12:28 AM
Mr/Ms Stoner -

Ok, I'm meeting with a potential client in Potomac MD (google potomac MD to have an understanding of the demographics there). They say "oh, can you provide and install a millstone?"

Well, as I'm sitting inside their 2.17 million dollar home, that is 3/4 of a mile away from Dan Snyder's estate - there is NO way I would say "oh, of course, go to R-U-Stoned dot com and pick out a millstone". Just imagine the look on their faces when they hear that.

Lordy, I hope you're just jokin about that name...........

First thing you need to do in relation to "exposure" is change that name.

Bru75
06-01-2010, 12:54 AM
I agree with 2low and DVS, but I think the "R U" part bothers me more. I hate text message type shorthand and intentional misspellings in company names and advertising.
It gives a bad first impression, which is a shame because Tufa's company seems to do really nice, professional work.
Reminds me of a few years ago when I was given a t-shirt from a Brickstop (I think) salesman. It had "We get laid in all the right places" printed on it. Kinda funny, but do you think I would wear that in front of a customer?
Maybe I'm just old and grouchy beyond my years.

jabbo
06-01-2010, 07:34 AM
For those of us with loved ones and friends with addiction problems - the "R U Stoned" phrase doesn't sit well, as we do not find that cute, clever, or funny in anyway.......

Your kidding right????

Tufa
06-01-2010, 10:39 AM
Our company's name is Muddle Sculpting Company. Our main website is Muddle Art dot com. We use the R U Stoned domain name for the marketing value. We had MuddleArt.com tshirts and had a trickle of visitors to our website. We changed the tshirts to R U Stoned and the website is swamped and we have received additional business. "stoned" is only used to drive people to the website and it works. I don't know anyone who hasn't been touched through friends or family in regards to someone dealing with an addiction. I personally have dealt with it. We discussed using this as a marketing tool and understood some people would react negatively.

DVS Hardscaper
06-01-2010, 06:11 PM
But the name is not what will bring in visitors.

Correct search engine optimization is what will bring visitors.

I just glanced at the home page to the link you provided. There IS NOT ONE bit of S.E.O. on that page. NOT ONE. And in ALL due respect, I ASSURE you that is why you are not getting visitors.

A properly optimized site will draw visitors from the INTERNET.....not from shirts.

For a small fee, I'd be more than happy to help you get the SEO up to par.......

zedosix
06-02-2010, 12:56 PM
I like the catch phrase and I've also had to deal with loved ones with addiction, but I don't see the connection. Its catchy but maybe not for everyone.

DVS Hardscaper
06-02-2010, 07:56 PM
I'm a believer in publicity stunts.

But, a catch phrase should be something that will bring a smile to everyone's faces. Not a phrase that could upset 50% and make the other 50% laugh.