PDA

View Full Version : Looking for opinions on a couple mowers!Exmark or Toro

4curbappeal
05-30-2010, 11:17 PM
First of all, I am a fairly small operation with 65 residentials and 3 commercial accounts. I recently picked up a church that is right at 6 acres. I am looking to buy a NEW 60" ztr on tuesday. We have done it all year with Hustler wb's. A 54" and a 48" as well as a 61" Wright Sentar. I sold the Sentar last week and wasnt quite prepared for how much longer it would take to do thischurch. Not to mention some of my newer res accts are pretty good size and would like a ztr.

I have it narrowed down to the new Toro G3 with the 29 hp kawasaki and 60" deck or the Exmark ASX 26 HP LIQUID COOLED Kawaski which also has a 60" deck. My dealer carries both Exmark and Toro and is the only dealer in town that I want to use. I come from a mid-size town where every LCO's trailer has either a Ferris ZTR or a Dixie chopper. Nothing against Ferris or Dixie, but I like the cut that Exmark and Toro gives better.

As far as price goes, I think both mowers will be about the same $. I will be keeping both Hustlers, but am ready to start riding instead of standing all day!

All opinons as well as pro's and cons are welcomed! I am def going Exmark or Toro, so let me know what you think!
Thanks,
Tim

rcslawncare
05-30-2010, 11:38 PM
I demoed the Toro G3 and it was a great mower, thats the one I would pick, but both are good machines...

newz7151
05-31-2010, 12:17 AM
Have your dealer order you in a LPG powered unit. They are on a 6 week build time from order (why Toro is behind on this i have no idea, they should alreayd be working on WAW mowers and 21" mowers powered by a screw on LPG cylinder) but it should equate to a much longer engine life since you won't have to be running all this new ethanol injected fuel that we're all going to have to start buying.

4curbappeal
05-31-2010, 11:03 AM
Have your dealer order you in a LPG powered unit. They are on a 6 week build time from order (why Toro is behind on this i have no idea, they should alreayd be working on WAW mowers and 21" mowers powered by a screw on LPG cylinder) but it should equate to a much longer engine life since you won't have to be running all this new ethanol injected fuel that we're all going to have to start buying.

I have considered this. I wanted to buy the Exmark propane, but i gueas they are a month out as well. The only problem I see is the 6 hour run time per tank + the extra tanks being $200 each. This is all info that my dealer gave me. Not sure if it is accurate. Please let me know if this is the same info you have heard.

Tall Rider
05-31-2010, 12:34 PM
See if the dealer will let you try both of them to decide for yourself whether you like the Turbo Force on the Toro or the Ultracut on the Lazer better. Both are good but I personally consider the Turbo Force better in the erea that I live in to be more flexible in wetter and poor conditions. Seems to me the Exmarks are only good in perfect conditions, but if it is look out that deck is sweet!

So my vote is G3

FastMan
05-31-2010, 01:22 PM
You've narrowed your choice down to two excellent machines. I just purchased a Toro G3 60" with a kohler 29EFI, and love it. It and the Exmark are virtually the same machines, so your choice is about engine and deck.

You really should demo both decks, to see which one works better for you in your cutting conditions. The reason we see people both liking and disliking the same deck here on Lawnsite is because performance varies depending on cutting conditions, which differ across the country. In that respect, the opinions you receive here can be a bit misleading. You need to judge for yourself.

As far as engine, that 29 kaw on the G3 has great power, but is thirsty. I ran it last summer and was impressed with it. I never wanted for more ponies, even here at 8500 feet. Will the 26 provide you with adequate power, and save you fuel dollars to boot? That's the question, isn't it? If it were me I'd want to demo the engine in some of the tougher cutting situations I encounter and see how it performs.

Something to keep in mind is that the ultra cut draws more power than the turbo force does, so the noticeable power loss of a smaller engine will be amplified. The turbo force cuts the grass and spits it out. The ultra cut keeps the clippings around awhile, repeatedly slicing them into nothingness before finally spitting the resultant miniscule particles out. That extra cutting draws extra power.