PDA

View Full Version : A Real Gator Blades Thread

BleedingGreen
05-31-2010, 02:31 AM
It's been a while since I've bought any gator blades. When I did, I usually got them online, but the site I used to get them from is gone. I love gator blades. I've had a set for every mower my business and I have ever had. I bought a new mower and now I'm looking to buy another set. After looking around for them all I have to say is what the h#ll happened? Maybe it's just me but since when were there so many options? And what do they all mean? I thought gator blades were made by a private company. Then I see Oregon sells them (same manufacturer all along????) Then I hear something about silver streak?

There used to be 2 options: Gator mulchers OR Gator Magnum mulchers (thinner/thicker respectively)

Now I see Gator 3-in-1 blades which I can only assume means BAG, MULCH, DISCHARGE. Call me crazy but isn't that what they were all along?!?! I mean they are called a "mulcher" blade but they are not a muching blade in the sense that they are used for a true mulch kit (baffles, wavy blades). I mean you can use them in a mulching kit, well I'm not getting into that! That was a huge misconception that I bet many still have to this day. They were only called that because they "mulch" clippings finer than a standard blade used for discharging/bagging not because they are a TRUE mulching blade in their movement of clippings, air flow, etc.

Then I see a T4 and a G6 gator. What is that? Who makes these? I see they are cheaper, but are these a gator knockoff or made by the same company as true gators.

Then I see Gator Magnum Mulcher Fusion, which I guess a fusion version of a gator blade. Fusion meaning heat treated cutting edge that I think Oregon makes.

I also see Mamba blades which I remember as being a Gator knockoff blade. I know there were a few out there before (don't recall any names or know any of the new ones)

Basically I want to know what are the true Gator blades out there? What are the knockoffs? I did a search and couldn't find any threads about the actual blades. Just a bunch of threads about people who love or hate them, what mowers do they fit, etc etc etc. Nothing about who actually made them, who makes them now, and what if any are the differences between them other than the names. The part numbers alone are enough to blow one's mind. They are all different even though the specs look the same. Some are different, some are no longer available or "replaced". From my experience knockoff versions of the original gators are NOT the same as the old true gators I've used in the past in terms of cut quality, which is what I want to buy. I don't know if it's the angle of the blade wings, the tooth design, whatever, but there IS a difference between gator blades and "gator" blades. So hopefully anyone who knows anything about the history and the actual differences in the blades can chime in an make this a useful thread for everyone to reference from, not just another "what blades r gud" thread.

ronmowers
05-31-2010, 02:55 AM
Gator blades and fusion are both names used to apply to Oregon blades. As far as I know this is company called Blount International offering products for forestry and lawn care. In my experience of selling blades Oregon seems to have a more dependable reputation both in chain saw bar/chain and blades of different types. We sell both and are satisfied we are providing a quality product to our customers at a reasonable price. Hope this helps. You can see all the products Oregon has on our web site under parts lookup-Oregon. Ron

inHaliburton
05-31-2010, 11:57 AM
Ron, I'm having difficulty locating the Gator Fusion blades for a JD zero turn, 737 with the 54" deck.

I've got a JD part number of M144652 which is supposed to be an Oregon PN 92-118.

An mower place up here in Canada is an Oregon dealer. He looked up 92-118 and sez it's a $350. seat!

Can you help me out with this?

Thanks, Paul.

BleedingGreen
05-31-2010, 10:38 PM
Gator blades and fusion are both names used to apply to Oregon blades. As far as I know this is company called Blount International offering products for forestry and lawn care. In my experience of selling blades Oregon seems to have a more dependable reputation both in chain saw bar/chain and blades of different types. We sell both and are satisfied we are providing a quality product to our customers at a reasonable price. Hope this helps. You can see all the products Oregon has on our web site under parts lookup-Oregon. Ron

Ron what is your website? Also so is Oregon/Blount International the original makers of gator blades then?

inHaliburton
05-31-2010, 11:18 PM
I found out what happened. The JD dealer near here looked up the PN in the Toro catalog. Seems that PN is also a Toro number for a seat for one of their mowers.

Life is ever thus...

BleedingGreen
06-02-2010, 10:03 PM
come on guys! surely someone can tell us more

Turf Dawg
06-02-2010, 11:21 PM
I personally like the Gator 3 in 1 blades. They have just a slight bit more lift than the standard. I hope they start making the G6 3 in 1 blades for my Hustler because of the thicker design. There are alot of MFG's making noched blades but Oregon makes the true Gator blades.

BleedingGreen
06-02-2010, 11:52 PM
I personally like the Gator 3 in 1 blades. They have just a slight bit more lift than the standard. I hope they start making the G6 3 in 1 blades for my Hustler because of the thicker design. There are alot of MFG's making noched blades but Oregon makes the true Gator blades.

THANKS TURF DAWG! So has Oregon always made the true gator blades or was it a different company first? So what are G6 blades? Magnum blades are thicker so whats the difference between Magnums and G6?

Turf Dawg
06-03-2010, 12:26 AM
Yes I do believe that Oregon has always made the Gator blades. If I remember right the G6 is a thicker version and it also might be a Fusion also. The Fusion is also a Oregon product that if you seen the bottom part of the cutting edge you could tell because it is rough looking. It is something that is impregnated and not just hardened. If I remember right they used to [or still do] have the standard Gator, Magnum Gator and High lift Gator which all had the notches all the way to the end. This is where the 3in1 is different because it is has a solid lift for a couple of inches [approximate] before the notches start.

BleedingGreen
06-03-2010, 01:34 AM
\ If I remember right they used to [or still do] have the standard Gator, Magnum Gator and High lift Gator which all had the notches all the way to the end. This is where the 3in1 is different because it is has a solid lift for a couple of inches [approximate] before the notches start.

Hmmm I wonder which one I'd like best the High lift Gator or the 3in1. I've always liked the suction created by high lifts because it really lifts up the grass blades that have been smashed down by foot prints or tires and also leaves a clean even looking cut after one pass. However I hated the large size of the clippings from standard high lifts. It's like the grass is just hacked off and whatever is cut off flies out the discharge. Even after going over the lawn a second time, most of the clippings are still on top just slightly smaller and dispersed a little better. That is where the gators excelled. The clippings were much smaller. What came out of the deck with standard gators vs. high lifts is night and day. I'd say maybe half the volume of clippings come out the discharge with gators in comparision to high lifts, probably just because of the smaller size makes it look like less. However the standard gators don't have much lift so you would get a few stragglers every once and a while so you'd have to go over the lawn again. The clippings would be so small and dispersed so well after two passes with the standard gators that you couldn't see anything left on top so it was worth it. Either way I was making 2 passes so standard gators were the better choice. A high lift gator might be the ticket. I just don't know which would be better (high lift gator or 3in1). Reason being is High lifts create SO much lift that it is almost too much lift. For example on smaller lawns with high lifts, when clippings are discharged 2-3 passes over and with the large size of the clippings, high lifts can create big messes of landscape beds. With the gators creating smaller clippings and not throwing them as far you could help minimize this or at least make cleanup faster due to there being less in the beds.

I know you cut warm season grasses in the south, but any opinion on which gator to go with after what I described (3in1 or high lift gator)?

Groh's Mows
06-03-2010, 02:37 AM
I have been using Oregon brand gators for years and have always been happy with them. I went to get a new set for my Scag two weeks ago and the blades I have used this whole time 90-418 (I think) is no longer made. It is replaced by a blade with quite a bit more lift to the back of the air foil and different shape to the serrations. Just from looking at the new blades I could see they would probably use more horsepower. I asked the guy at the parts counter about it and he said Oregon had reworked their entire catalog and that quite a few cutters were not liking the new blades as well.

Took them out and tried them and they do not mulch up the discharge nearly as well. They may have a little more lift but so what? If I just wanted good lift and more discharge I would be runnning the factory high lifts. For me it is just another example of a company not leaving well enough alone. For now I'v got the old blades back on and not looking forward to wearing them out. Two sets that were going to the scrap yard will stay in rotation a little longer.

BleedingGreen
06-03-2010, 03:02 AM
I have been using Oregon brand gators for years and have always been happy with them. I went to get a new set for my Scag two weeks ago and the blades I have used this whole time 90-418 (I think) is no longer made. It is replaced by a blade with quite a bit more lift to the back of the air foil and different shape to the serrations. Just from looking at the new blades I could see they would probably use more horsepower. I asked the guy at the parts counter about it and he said Oregon had reworked their entire catalog and that quite a few cutters were not liking the new blades as well.

Took them out and tried them and they do not mulch up the discharge nearly as well. They may have a little more lift but so what? If I just wanted good lift and more discharge I would be runnning the factory high lifts. For me it is just another example of a company not leaving well enough alone. For now I'v got the old blades back on and not looking forward to wearing them out. Two sets that were going to the scrap yard will stay in rotation a little longer.

Looking around on the Oregon site right now. From what I gather there are about 12x combinations of gator blades if I'm not mistaken :wall

Any idea what what "new" gator blade you bought? But see this is what I'm talkng about a billion part # and styles and NOTHING is organized!

Green-Man
08-15-2012, 10:45 PM
sorry i'm late into this topic but you guys have really peaked my interest because i just bought a new mower and I have the factory blades on them as of now, but will definitely be buying gator blades soon, I didn't know there were so many types, it has been a few years now since anyone has posted on here have any of you come to a conclusion? :dizzy:

Snapper Jack
08-15-2012, 11:38 PM
sorry i'm late into this topic but you guys have really peaked my interest because i just bought a new mower and I have the factory blades on them as of now, but will definitely be buying gator blades soon, I didn't know there were so many types, it has been a few years now since anyone has posted on here have any of you come to a conclusion? :dizzy:

You might need a spiritual seance for this one :laugh:

Green-Man
08-15-2012, 11:51 PM
You might need a spiritual seance for this one :laugh:

You may just be right hahah
Posted via Mobile Device

Ridin' Green
08-16-2012, 12:05 AM
Take a look at this thread. It'll answer a lot of questions for you. There are posts by the Oregon rep here on LS too-

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=355237&highlight=is+anyone+using+the+new+G6+blades%3F

inHaliburton
08-16-2012, 10:50 AM
Good to see this Gator thread.

I see that the Oregon Rep follows the Gator thread. Hopefully, he can help me.

I need a part number for G6 Gator blades for a John Deere Zero Turn 737 with 54" 7-Iron deck.

Last year I tried ordering locally I live near Belleville, Ontario) from an Oregon dealer who said they had to get from the States. What I got was a regular blade with no ribs. I've used Gator blade before, and these certainly weren't the right ones.

Thank you!

Green-Man
08-16-2012, 11:04 AM
Take a look at this thread. It'll answer a lot of questions for you. There are posts by the Oregon rep here on LS too-

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=355237&highlight=is+anyone+using+the+new+G6+blades%3F

Thanks a lot!! that thread helped me out a ton! :weightlifter:

TriCountyLawn
08-16-2012, 12:23 PM
I like gator blades , but unfortunately they no longer make them for my Hustler walk behind, I use one set on my mow n goes I really like them. They do lack vacuum compared to the high lift blades I use for days when I have to bag. The catcher wont even fill half way with gators on it. Have not been able to try any version besides the reg gators yet.

Ridin' Green
08-16-2012, 12:52 PM
Good to see this Gator thread.

I see that the Oregon Rep follows the Gator thread. Hopefully, he can help me.

I need a part number for G6 Gator blades for a John Deere Zero Turn 737 with 54" 7-Iron deck.

Last year I tried ordering locally I live near Belleville, Ontario) from an Oregon dealer who said they had to get from the States. What I got was a regular blade with no ribs. I've used Gator blade before, and these certainly weren't the right ones.

Thank you!

You need part number 396-769 G6 for 54" 7 Iron. That's according to Oregon's website.

inHaliburton
08-16-2012, 01:06 PM
You need part number 396-769 G6 for 54" 7 Iron. That's according to Oregon's website.

Gee, thanks Ridin' Green. Very much appreciated!

Ridin' Green
08-16-2012, 01:14 PM
Gee, thanks Ridin' Green. Very much appreciated!

Their website can be confusing sometimes. Since Deere makes the 7 Iron in both the std deck (for machines like their CUT's and X series garden tractors which use a flat version of the G6), and for the Z Trac (which use a humped version of the G6), you need to make sure that the blades for your Z have the center hump. You can't tell from the pics on the site either, but the one I gave you is listed with the other blades for the Z Trac's, so I'm sure it's the right one. The G6's for the std 7 Iron don't have that center hump, but instead are flat all the way across the blade. They would work, but would either require an adjustment to your HOC knob, or the use of a spacer between the blade and the bottom of the spindle to keep from altering you HOC.
Hope that helps.:)

luxurylawnsbyJB
08-26-2012, 03:10 PM
This whole blade thing has had me confused too... I got a JD about a month ago and put a mulch kit on it. It is a 900 series mower the the 7Iron and I've looked at blades for a month now and still am confused. The blade that I am using is the M135334 that came with the mulch kit and was curious about the G6 blades.. I cut a lot of Bahia grass. anybody out there that also cuts Bahia and mulches with the JD? What blade do you use?
thanks

Ridin' Green
08-26-2012, 03:40 PM
This whole blade thing has had me confused too... I got a JD about a month ago and put a mulch kit on it. It is a 900 series mower the the 7Iron and I've looked at blades for a month now and still am confused. The blade that I am using is the M135334 that came with the mulch kit and was curious about the G6 blades.. I cut a lot of Bahia grass. anybody out there that also cuts Bahia and mulches with the JD? What blade do you use?
thanks

The G6's are not designed to be used with a mulch kit. The rep here has posted that several times now, so you'd be better off with the wavy mulchers from Deere.

Florida Gardener
08-26-2012, 03:49 PM
Mulching and Bahia do not go together...take the kit off and discharge
Posted via Mobile Device

luxurylawnsbyJB
08-31-2012, 06:00 AM
I may do that. I ordered the g6 blades and should have them in a couple days. I cut bahia 3 days a week and St Aug 1 day. I don't mind pulling the mulch kit off 1 day a week if it makes cutting Bahia easier. The problem I am having is that a couple customers think Bahia is to look like other grasses. They just keep watering and watering and I see grass weekly that is 2 feet tall... the thatch is getting built up and it refuse to rake a whole lawn because the customer doesn't't understand. And the same customers keep feeding the lawns every week because the think bahia is to look like St. Aug.:cry:

luxurylawnsbyJB
08-31-2012, 06:04 AM
Mulching and Bahia do not go together...take the kit off and discharge
Posted via Mobile Device

I've had good luck with using the m135334 blade and mulching the bahia with just one pass, but would like to try the g6.... I can get them for $46 shipped a set for the 54" where the stock JD blades are $80..... I like the JD much better than my Exmark with a mulch kit on.. I tried to remove it on the Exmark, but when I bought the mower new, they welded the mulch kit in place.