PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on walk behind ride on attachment.

A1Lawns
05-31-2010, 02:07 AM
For 15 years now I have used my walk behind mower without much thought in using the optional walk behind ride on attachment. I have seen others use it, have been asked why I don't use it, but have never thought to buy it.

I have always for some reason thought it would be a big problem as far as manueverability goes...in tight spots..hills..small lawns..etc. It just always seemed better to just walk the mower and be in better control than to deal with this attachment. I don't mind the walking at all, but this year I have gotten about 5 pretty good sized lawns and all the walking can get tiring after awhile, especially on a hot day. (like last week!)
Any input would be greatly appreciated.

LALawnboy
05-31-2010, 02:53 AM
I originally bought a set of Jungle Wheels and used them for about three months before selling them. They provided a nice ride and all, but maneuverability was non-existent (at least for me). The only way I could get them work easily was to simply cut yards in the racetrack pattern. I haven't done that since I started mowing grass when I kid, so that idea was out of the question.

After selling them, I spent God only knows how many hours reading about all the different sulkies out there. I settled on the Wright Velke Pro-1 Sulky (one wheel). What I like about it is how compact and much easier it is to maneuver vs. the Jungle Wheels. At the end of a pass, I simply step off the sulky and swing the mower back around to the next row as I would if I was walking behind the mower. Plus, if I need to go in reverse, the sulky will spin around and allow me to easily pull the mower backwards.

If you don't like one-wheel sulkies (many people on here don't), you can also check out Wrights Velke X2, which is a two-wheel sulky similar to the Jungle Wheels, but still is able to swing around 360 degrees like the one wheel.

MikeKle
05-31-2010, 07:44 AM
I love my velke X2s! have them on the 2 big WBs, and can put them on the tthp and metro, but those are only used on smaller yards. I dont know how I would get thru all my yards without riding, it would take much longer and it would wear me out more, so there is no other option in my book, as far as manuvering it around, I never had any problems getting it into tight spots, just back out??? I have thought about the fixed type but I think the trailering type is best, that way you can go around obstacles. Ive always thought sulkies are way overpriced,since they are basically a metal plate with wheels, but they are worth every penny on those long days!

cgaengineer
05-31-2010, 10:00 AM
Depending on what mower you have take a look at the TruTrak. If you are good at modifying the brackets it could be made to fit on just about any walk behind...Toro has the Velke nailed, great design, comes off easy, folds up and you can backup.

A1Lawns
06-01-2010, 12:59 AM
Depending on what mower you have take a look at the TruTrak. If you are good at modifying the brackets it could be made to fit on just about any walk behind...Toro has the Velke nailed, great design, comes off easy, folds up and you can backup.

I was looking at the Scag one of their site because I have a Scag already. Here's the link...
http://www.knightsinc.com/scaghydrodrivewalkmoweraccessories.htm

The one on the right looks much more maneuverable.

cgaengineer
06-01-2010, 06:29 AM
I was looking at the Scag one of their site because I have a Scag already. Here's the link...
http://www.knightsinc.com/scaghydrodrivewalkmoweraccessories.htm

The one on the right looks much more maneuverable.

More maneuverable than the trutrak? Try backing up with that thing. Also removal requires removing bolts, quick pins on the trutrak.
Posted via Mobile Device

Robert Pruitt
06-01-2010, 07:19 AM
have the single wheel velke on Toro w/b. worth every penny for my aching knees.

slawn
06-01-2010, 01:57 PM
I have the velke X2 on my Viking, and I love it. On the the real small yards I just take it off and leave it on the trailer, takes only a minute to remove it, one pin.

BINKY1902
06-01-2010, 02:02 PM
Havener Enterprises makes a one wheel, two wheel, and a two wheel swivel wheel. They also have a sit down sulky. I use the two wheel. It will cut your time way down from walking. Mine has a quick release that can be took off in two seconds. They are powder coated and good quality. They can be bought on the scratch and dent specials on ebay for really cheap. I never have to take mine off for any of my properties.

A1Lawns
06-01-2010, 11:48 PM
I was just in a Scag dealer today and was told these have weight limits...oh boy. Well, immediately the single wheel one is out. I was even over the limit for the 2 wheel one.

C'mon now, these are'nt heavy duty enough to handle even the heavier guys like myself?

cgaengineer
06-01-2010, 11:50 PM
The TruTrak can handle some extra weight...
Posted via Mobile Device

lifetree
06-02-2010, 12:19 AM
... C'mon now, these are'nt heavy duty enough to handle even the heavier guys like myself ?

How heavy is "heavier guys" ??

GrassIsGreenerLawnCare
06-02-2010, 01:10 AM
man im 210-220 and even my little 32" toro proline w. a 13hp kohler pulled my asss around without any hesistation. the weight limit is just to save the companies butt in case of a lawsuit. i now use velke x2's on both my gravely and exmark and wouldnt ever consider getting rid of them. it makes mowing fun and easy. on the smaller yards i dont bother using them, but i only have a couple i dont use em on. the only place where sulkys suck is near curbs/high walkways. but other than that if u know how to manuever ur mower you shouldnt have ANY problem. you can whip right around trees, poles, and anything else. also you can slap that baby into 5th gear on straight aways and just cruise thru the lawn. saves a bunch of time and gets my lawns done at least 25% faster. if u do a lap around the lawn, you have plenty of room to do ur stripes and turn around at the end with ease. i dont think i would want to mow my big lawns without a sulky! i dont know how u have gone 15years w/out even considering a sulky. the velke x2's can be mounted on about any WB mower and they clip and unclip with the pull of a cotter pin! plus they actually fold up into the mower and u clip it onto a carabiner for easy traveling/space so u dont even have to take it off

GrassIsGreenerLawnCare
06-02-2010, 01:22 AM
the x2 velke on my 32 toro proline.......if this thing can pull ya, anything can

LALawnboy
06-02-2010, 02:30 AM
the x2 velke on my 32 toro proline.......if this thing can pull ya, anything can

GrassisGreener, did you cut the gear shifter down some on your Toro? It looks shorter than the standard shifter handle. I've thought about doing this as it would make it easier to shift when I had my Velke hanging.