PDA

View Full Version : Rear belt on Z

topcat2006
05-31-2010, 10:26 AM
I need to replace the rear, or drive belt on my commercial toro z. It is the 2001 model with the 44in deck, 17hp kaw eng. and model number 74176. I've replaced the drive belt several times but have never had to replace the rear belt. Any advice would be helpful from my lawnsite brothers and sisters. Happy Memorial Day!:usflag:

topsites
05-31-2010, 10:40 AM
The owner's manual might be of some assistance, definitely worth a look see in my book.

Mowbizz
05-31-2010, 11:33 AM
I need to replace the rear, or drive belt on my commercial toro z. It is the 2001 model with the 44in deck, 17hp kaw eng. and model number 74176. I've replaced the drive belt several times but have never had to replace the rear belt. Any advice would be helpful from my lawnsite brothers and sisters. Happy Memorial Day!:usflag:

You mean the "mule belt"?
My 2007 Exmark Lazer HP has been running the original belt since new...I was underneath greasing and noticed cracks in between the belt "teeth" or cogs...had a brand new spare in the truck and decided to tackle it. Pretty straightforward but there were a couple of things I had to work through to get the job completed. Mind you, I only have basic hand tools, although good quality ones.
The two problems I encountered were:
1. The pigtail from the clutch needs to be disconnected to allow the belt to be removed...simple enough, right? Not! I could not, for the life of me, get the connector to come apart...had to cut away the connector housing until it separated! What a PITA!! Put it back and used elec. tape to hold it together.

2. Taking the idler pulley spring off was easy enough...just undo the bolt that goes through the bottom (which simply holds one end of the spring in place...the other, of course is attached to the indent on the idler arm itself)
Anyway...got the new belt in place...now it's time to stretch that monster spring back over the bolt...after about an hour of trial and error with various screwdrivers trying to leverage the spring back into place, I discovered that there were "extra holes" in the metal above the pulleys...finally got the screwdriver through the spring-end and into one of those holes and leveraged it over the bolt...now the screwdriver is held in place by the force of the spring...okay...almost there...trying to pull the screwdriver free dislodged the spring and had to start over...went to my grinding wheel and ground off the extra metal of the screwdriver tip (so it was almost cylindrical, like the shaft itself) then stretched the spring over the bolt once more...voila! the screwdriver now was able to be twisted out from between the spring and the bolt while leaving the spring in place! Done!
There are probably custom tools for this job but now I know how it's done and next time will be a piece of cake! Just working through the little things that seem insurmountable at the time...by trial and error.
Or...go to your dealer and let them do it and pay big $$ and lose your machine for 2 weeks because of the backup in the service dept!
(one of my string trimmers has been there over 2 weeks for a tuneup!)
Not sure if your mower has the same setup but I can't imagine it being much different than mine...good luck!

topcat2006
05-31-2010, 11:49 PM
The owner's manual might be of some assistance, definitely worth a look see in my book.I bought the unit from a gentleman that didn't have the owner's manual. But thanx anyway.

topcat2006
05-31-2010, 11:50 PM
You mean the "mule belt"?
My 2007 Exmark Lazer HP has been running the original belt since new...I was underneath greasing and noticed cracks in between the belt "teeth" or cogs...had a brand new spare in the truck and decided to tackle it. Pretty straightforward but there were a couple of things I had to work through to get the job completed. Mind you, I only have basic hand tools, although good quality ones.
The two problems I encountered were:
1. The pigtail from the clutch needs to be disconnected to allow the belt to be removed...simple enough, right? Not! I could not, for the life of me, get the connector to come apart...had to cut away the connector housing until it separated! What a PITA!! Put it back and used elec. tape to hold it together.

2. Taking the idler pulley spring off was easy enough...just undo the bolt that goes through the bottom (which simply holds one end of the spring in place...the other, of course is attached to the indent on the idler arm itself)
Anyway...got the new belt in place...now it's time to stretch that monster spring back over the bolt...after about an hour of trial and error with various screwdrivers trying to leverage the spring back into place, I discovered that there were "extra holes" in the metal above the pulleys...finally got the screwdriver through the spring-end and into one of those holes and leveraged it over the bolt...now the screwdriver is held in place by the force of the spring...okay...almost there...trying to pull the screwdriver free dislodged the spring and had to start over...went to my grinding wheel and ground off the extra metal of the screwdriver tip (so it was almost cylindrical, like the shaft itself) then stretched the spring over the bolt once more...voila! the screwdriver now was able to be twisted out from between the spring and the bolt while leaving the spring in place! Done!
There are probably custom tools for this job but now I know how it's done and next time will be a piece of cake! Just working through the little things that seem insurmountable at the time...by trial and error.
Or...go to your dealer and let them do it and pay big $$ and lose your machine for 2 weeks because of the backup in the service dept!
(one of my string trimmers has been there over 2 weeks for a tuneup!)
Not sure if your mower has the same setup but I can't imagine it being much different than mine...good luck!

Thank you for your reply, I will be tackling this problem within the next few days.

chesterlawn
06-01-2010, 06:21 AM
When you put the new belt on, put it around the clutch pully first. Then put the other end of the belt around the deck pully, then around the spring pully. Now you only have the one pully left, the stationary pully across from the spring pully. Grab hold of the belt with two hands and pull the belt, the spring pully will start to move, and stretch the belt to get it started on the last pully.When you have it part way on, roll the pully to get it all the way on.

chesterlawn
06-01-2010, 06:23 AM
Ment to write pulley.

topcat2006
06-05-2010, 10:56 AM
Ment to write pulley.

Thanks guys, I whooped it LOL!, it was a little difficult for the first time, but mission accomplished.