PDA

View Full Version : Questions for Those With Fixed Deck Standers

LALawnboy
05-31-2010, 04:28 PM
I've been looking at finally making the switch over to Standers after using WB's the past couple of years. After reading through a lot of past threads, a lot of guys still prefer the fixed deck to the rapid height. I don't change heights that often, but my fixed deck walk behinds have been easy enough for the small number of changes I do make.

For those with fixed deck Standers, do you have trouble loading the mower onto your trailer? With my WB's, I simply pop a wheelie when I get to the top of the ramp and then lower it down onto the trailer. I've seen guys easily pop wheelies on Standers, but I'm not sure if that would be easy to do when loading it on the trailer.

Also, in my area, the ground is slowly sinking. Because of this, many properties that I service have situations where the grass/dirt area may be 5-8 inches higher than the sidewalk. Like when loading my mowers on the trailer, I simply pop a wheelie with the WB's to get up onto these difficult areas. What would be the easiest way to do this with the Standers?

And anyone who has been in a situation like myself (switching from using only walkbehinds to standers) could you discuss your productivity numbers after switching?

Thanks ahead of time,

Todd

grassman177
05-31-2010, 04:42 PM
it is not that hard to ride wheelies with them to hop curbs, just a little know how and trial and error. same with the ramp, much easier than you think. fixed is the way to go imo

C4chris70
05-31-2010, 06:25 PM
it is not that hard to ride wheelies with them to hop curbs, just a little know how and trial and error. same with the ramp, much easier than you think. fixed is the way to go imo

Good luck riding a wheelie with a Gravely Pro stance.

LALawnboy
05-31-2010, 07:33 PM
Grassman, in loading the trailer do you ever have situations where you scrape the deck? And how steady is it to pop a wheelie while going up a ramp?
Posted via Mobile Device

clinicalengineer
05-31-2010, 08:02 PM
I usually pull a slight wheelie with my wright as i am cresting the trailer gate. Just enough to make sure i don't catch the deck or spindles on the transition from ramp to deck. And to answer your question, my 36" fixed deck is pretty steady when you do wheelie.

yardguy28
05-31-2010, 09:13 PM
before i switched to the toro grandstand i was running an exmark tthp with stand on.

productivity is better in my opinion. both in loading/unloading the machine and in mowing.

as for the fixed deck vs. floating deck. i still prefer a floating deck. scalping is greatly reduced with a floating deck. the grandstand is what you call "rapid height" adjusting though. there is a lever on the console and a pin on the side with holes for the different heights. stick the pin in the hole you want and put the lever down.

when loading on the trailer you have what they call a "transport" mode for the deck which raises it all the way up. loading and unloading isn't an issue.

the only time i have any problems getting my grandstand anywhere is large curbs. i have to yet to learn how to pop wheelies on the mower and really prefert to avoid wheelies. most lawns have some access somewhere where there aren't any curbs to worry about.

LALawnboy
05-31-2010, 09:23 PM
before i switched to the toro grandstand i was running an exmark tthp with stand on.

productivity is better in my opinion. both in loading/unloading the machine and in mowing.

as for the fixed deck vs. floating deck. i still prefer a floating deck. scalping is greatly reduced with a floating deck. the grandstand is what you call "rapid height" adjusting though. there is a lever on the console and a pin on the side with holes for the different heights. stick the pin in the hole you want and put the lever down.

when loading on the trailer you have what they call a "transport" mode for the deck which raises it all the way up. loading and unloading isn't an issue.

the only time i have any problems getting my grandstand anywhere is large curbs. i have to yet to learn how to pop wheelies on the mower and really prefert to avoid wheelies. most lawns have some access somewhere where there aren't any curbs to worry about.

How do you like the Grandstand by the way? The reason I'm looking at the fixed deck is I was quoted $4700 for a 36" fixed deck Stander with the 15hp Kawi. Plus, I've heard from many people that the cut is better on the fixed decks. I was at my Toro dealer the other day and he quoted me $7200 for a 36" model Grandstand.

yardguy28
05-31-2010, 09:30 PM
How do you like the Grandstand by the way? The reason I'm looking at the fixed deck is I was quoted $4700 for a 36" fixed deck Stander with the 15hp Kawi. Plus, I've heard from many people that the cut is better on the fixed decks. I was at my Toro dealer the other day and he quoted me $7200 for a 36" model Grandstand.

i love the grandstand. out of all the standers i've demo'd this is by far the best one i've come across.

i didn't look to see where your from but $7200 for a 36" seems a little high if you ask me. i paid about that for my 52".

i think you get quality cuts from both fixed and floating decks. when i was running my tthp, i was also running a 36" metro. i got quality cuts from both of them. and the tthp was a floating deck.

now i'm running the toro grandstand and i still have the metro. both fixed decks, both quality cuts. i think the toro cuts a little better than the metro and it does cut better than the tthp did but i don't think it's all because i went from a floating deck to a fixed deck. and i know when i first got my grandstand i did way more scalping than i ever did with the tthp.

LALawnboy
06-01-2010, 12:16 AM
I agree. That price seemed way too high for me. My Toro dealer usually gives me great deals and service, so I doubt he was trying to screw me over. I'm a Toro guy all the way, it just seems that they're awfully proud of their prices.
Posted via Mobile Device

SNAPPER MAN
06-01-2010, 12:20 AM
Get the fixed deck stander. I have a 32" stander and it is an awesome machine. Cuts beautifully and I have had nomproblems with it so far. I was concerned about weight but that ended up not being a issue at all. Wright makes one helluva machine.
Posted via Mobile Device

SNAPPER MAN
06-01-2010, 12:32 AM
Get the fixed deck stander. I have a 32" stander and it is an awesome machine. Cuts beautifully and I have had nomproblems with it so far. I was concerned about weight but that ended up not being a issue at all. Wright makes one helluva machine.
Posted via Mobile Device

Jimslawncareservice
06-01-2010, 12:38 AM
i have 2 fixed deck standers. they are set at 3'' to 3 1/2'' they never scrape the trailer in or out. i have a 8'x20' enclosed. i have a 52 and 61. i can do circles in there if i want to. i had a deere 657 which road better had about the same cut but if i left the deck below 4'' going up the same trailer it would catch. and i could not do a full circle in there either.

just like any other mower you will get used to what you can and cant do

LALawnboy
06-01-2010, 01:25 AM
Jimslawncareservice, I focus on yards around 1/4th acre or smaller and have stuck with my 5x10 trailer due to space constraints. If I had anything much bigger, I would have a very diffcult time parking in front of these houses. I know enclosed trailers usually have a longer ramp length than open trailers. I'm wondering if I would encounter any problems with the ramp angle with the fixed deck. Like I said in my first post, I can easily lift the deck on my walkbehinds to prevent the deck/spindles from getting hung up.
Posted via Mobile Device

grassman177
06-01-2010, 08:45 AM
yes, the deck can scrape and that is why i pop a slight wheelie. depends on where i let the ramps down to if there is an issue, it is all too easy to do this though

Jimslawncareservice
06-01-2010, 09:09 AM
Jimslawncareservice, I focus on yards around 1/4th acre or smaller and have stuck with my 5x10 trailer due to space constraints. If I had anything much bigger, I would have a very diffcult time parking in front of these houses. I know enclosed trailers usually have a longer ramp length than open trailers. I'm wondering if I would encounter any problems with the ramp angle with the fixed deck. Like I said in my first post, I can easily lift the deck on my walkbehinds to prevent the deck/spindles from getting hung up.
Posted via Mobile Device

i see. you could always have a metel shop extent your gates. i happened to buy a used 18' open trailer with special order long ramps. there is hardly any incline to it at all. but you might have to get a gorrilla lift. just an idea.

Alpha Property
06-01-2010, 09:22 AM
the wright standers are wheelie machines, they have wheelie bars buit into them from factory!!!!!!! i can go up and down the street, even make a sweeping turn in the middle of a standard 2 lane suburb street while still holding a wheelie. And its easy to change the deck by swapping out the spacers under the front casters, and i can spin mine rite around inside of my 6.5ft wide trailer no prob:weightlifter::weightlifter::weightlifter:

Josh32RVP
06-01-2010, 12:58 PM
I own an Exmark 52" Vantage and have never run into a problem with scraping the deck, like the GS, you can raise the deck into a loading position. It's at 4-5"s and no where near the top of the ramp. As for the cutting ability, I love the machine!! It's hard to compare any mower to it!! With the grass that your having to deal with in Kenner, just raise the deck to the loading position, get up on the grass, lower the deck to whatever cutting height you want and start mowing. Why it's so easy is, the hand lever is on the console and you never have to leave the standing platform. The ergonomics of the mower is fantastic.
On another note, I was born in Metarie and grew up in Slidell. Good to see southern LA represented on here. Good luck on your decision!!

LALawnboy
06-01-2010, 11:15 PM
I'll throw another question into the mix. I've been reading more about the Rapid Height Standers and noticed you can get either the 17hp Kawi, or for just over $200 more you can upgrade to the 19hp. I know a lot of people always go for the biggest and baddest they can get, but is the extra power really needed?
Posted via Mobile Device

turftracerhp
06-01-2010, 11:37 PM
i have a fixed deck stander and it does hit the gate on my trailer so i built it up with some 2x10 but the tthp does cut a lot better and i think they are easy on the grass.i struggled with the same decision about going to stander or using walkbehind and so i got both and found myself always wanting to use the tthp.much better cut imo and all around a great machine.i sold one of my standers and am trying to sell the other one to buy another tthp.you might have to figure it out on your own im just telling you about my experience.tthp is easier to get over curbs and such as well.

Josh32RVP
06-01-2010, 11:48 PM
I don't know about the Wright standers but I'm glad I got the 24hp Kawasaki on my Vantage. I know it's only 4 or 5 more horsepower more but when I was cutting a field the other day where the grass was knee deep, it didn't bog down one time. I know that's not the primary use of a finish mower but the brush mower I rented made one pass and died. My Vantage has got to be my best purchases so far!! Can't wait to grow and get another one!!

LALawnboy
06-02-2010, 12:09 AM
i have a fixed deck stander and it does hit the gate on my trailer so i built it up with some 2x10 but the tthp does cut a lot better and i think they are easy on the grass.i struggled with the same decision about going to stander or using walkbehind and so i got both and found myself always wanting to use the tthp.much better cut imo and all around a great machine.i sold one of my standers and am trying to sell the other one to buy another tthp.you might have to figure it out on your own im just telling you about my experience.tthp is easier to get over curbs and such as well.

This is what I'm worried about ^. You seemed to have been in the same boat I'm in right now. As far as fixed deck/rapid height deck goes, I believe if I did decide to switch to a Stander, I'm only going to go with the Rapid Height. I won't make a decision on that till I get some more time with a demo. Thanks for your insight though.

Lawn Pawn
06-02-2010, 12:32 AM
Have a 36 Wright fixed deck......

If I take a diagonal line up the ramp gate, short wheel low side, eliminates the spindle bolts catching. Can spin around to unload, and same thing works.

Or.... just hang my butt far enough back and its backwheels only for a clean load and departure.

Or..... use my 12 foot tilt.