PDA

View Full Version : Pest Control For Wasps nesting in ground

JeremySkrocki
07-15-2002, 01:52 PM
A couple of my clients have asked me about how to get rid of wasps that are nesting in the ground. Is there a treatment that I can do or do I have to look to a pest control company for this problem? I would like to try and resolve the problem internally, to make some addition money, but ultimatly want the best for the client. Any suggestions would be great.

Thanks In Advance
Jeremy

crawdad
07-15-2002, 02:32 PM
Go to Wal-Mart, get some spray (hurry, they'll run out soon), and go early(about sunrise) in the morning and spray the hole. Profusely. Repeat if neccesary.
Buy some extra spray now, as Wal-mart will run out and not re-order. They'll be ordering Christmas stuff soon, they won't reorder summer stuff. I have to remember to follow my own advice and get some next time I'm there. I got my first sting yesterday. On the ankle, so I know the buggers are in the ground, just can't find the nest-hole yet. I guess they're just getting started. In my own lawn yet.
Crawdad
Hey, just did a search, this website says sevin will work...
http://www.uky.edu/Agriculture/Entomology/entfacts/struct/ef620.htm

geogunn
07-15-2002, 04:24 PM
they sound like yellow jackets to me. they hit you like a ball-peen hammer and the pain lasts for more than a day or two.

the best way to get them is after dark, pour about a pint of old gas down the hole. they're dead. it isn't the most environmentaly friendly way however.

as for sevin--if it kills them it does it too slow. these babies need to be knocked down fast!

GEO

ProMo
07-15-2002, 04:38 PM
2 years ago my wife stepped in a yellow jacket nest she got hit 24 times and i got stung about 8 times getting them off of her there was a couple thousand flying around after that. i used the wal mart spray after they chilled

dr grass
07-15-2002, 06:48 PM
jeremy .. the spray is gonna be your best bet. wait til around dusk when their all tucked into the nest for the night and give em about a half - can dousing. Than call er' a day!

Shep :alien:

GreenQuest Lawn
07-16-2002, 12:02 AM
I use Demon WP works good. It does not have the "knock down" of sprays but has a great residual effect.

Heres the website.

http://www.pestproducts.com/demonwp.htm

ipm
07-16-2002, 12:17 AM
they sound like yellow jackets to me. they hit you like a ball-peen hammer and the pain lasts for more than a day or two.

the best way to get them is after dark, pour about a pint of old gas down the hole. they're dead. it isn't the most environmentaly friendly way however.

as for sevin--if it kills them it does it too slow. these babies need to be knocked down fast!

GEO

I am with you all the way my man. I've been popped several times and it is no fun. Gas has always worked for me.

Be careful not to spill it all over the place. It will kill the exisiting turf and please, don't light it on fire. That is not necessary.:blob2:

Richard Martin
07-16-2002, 05:14 AM
A Yellow Jacket is a wasp.

Tony Harrell
07-16-2002, 05:40 AM
Pest control is my full time job. If you're doing your own yard, buy some wasp freeze. It comes in a can and is designed to shoot the whole can out fast and long distance in less than 5 seconds. Don't worry about Wal-mart, you can get it at home depot or lowes or probably even lesco. Buy at least two cans per application, you may need it. Just as everyone says, do it after DUSK. It's probably yellow jackets (which are very aggressive) but can be several other species as well. Check with your state to see if you need a turf and ornamental license to apply for profit. Our company has one bee guy, he always wears the bee suit when making applications, even at night just as a precaution.

geogunn
07-16-2002, 08:45 AM
Originally posted by Richard Martin
A Yellow Jacket is a wasp.

thanks richard.

taxonomically speaking is that like a doberman is a dog?

GEO

Richard Martin
07-16-2002, 02:54 PM
Well, bees get blamed for a lot of stuff that they don't do so I thought I would point out that interesting fact! :D

ProMo
07-16-2002, 03:17 PM
i like bees especially that big fat one thats been coming to my garden for years dont see how that guy flys

LAWNGODFATHER
07-16-2002, 06:30 PM
I got hit 3 times on my eye lid Saturday.

Gasoline does good.

geogunn
07-18-2002, 01:08 AM
Originally posted by Richard Martin
Well, bees get blamed for a lot of stuff that they don't do so I thought I would point out that interesting fact! :D

point missed richard, but I am glad you explained:) !

a honey bee doesn't bother me at all. I just try not to let them get pinched in my collar or cuff.

they don't like getting pinched.

now the wasp, hornet, yellow jacket types of the stinging class I have a problem with because they don't always hang out a shingle saying where they reside!:cry:

back in the glorious disco '70's, I did landscaping for a guy that had a trimmer that blew 2-cycle smoke into the bush you were trimming. this cleared out all the stinging residents.

I wish I had that trimmer now except that it was a cast iron block and weighed a ton!

GEO