PDA

View Full Version : How do you handle hurricanes?

greenchoppers
05-31-2010, 06:50 PM
Hello forum,

Scenario: Hurricane XYZ just pummeled your area. Most gas stations are closed due to the destruction of electrical utility grids and/or physical damage to the gas station itself. There is plenty of post-hurricane clean up work out there and you want to capitalize on it. But there is one problem: getting fuel for equipment and trucks.

I was wandering how those of you prone to hurricanes handle getting gas and other needed supplies in a post-hurricane era?

For those of you not prone to hurricanes but may be susceptible to other natural disasters (i.e, tornadoes, ice storms, etc), how do you handle getting gasoline for your equipment?

AmGreen
05-31-2010, 06:56 PM
Have enough gas on hand to make it through a week. If nothing is back up and running at the end of that week, road trip to find an open station...

jkingrph
05-31-2010, 07:43 PM
Grew up in N. Louisiana, now in E. Texas so have been through a few 'cains, including on on the coast when I was in the USAF at Eglin AFB. Currently I have a big 12KW Honda generator that is a bit of a gas hog, so I make sure it is filled( about 5 gal) the Scag is filled (9 gal) and an old jd lawn tractor ( About 5 there) the car is filled( 19) and 8 5 gal gas cans. That's about 78 gal, can always sipon out for generator if needed, although I never had to run it over 8 hours. Diesel truck is also ful at39 gal.

ffemt1271
05-31-2010, 08:00 PM
got enough gas to run a week, and enough diesel to run a month, plus a generator to ron necessities in the shop.

ajslands
05-31-2010, 09:06 PM
Usually you can't mow right after a hurricane, so your using chainsaws, so if you were realy in need of gas, you could siphon it out of your mowers and add oil to it it for saws, same with trimmers, you might want to use your blowers though, diesel on the other hand, that'd be a little harder to obtain unles you had a tank or diesel mowers, bt if you were in need of it, you could steel it from semi trucks.
Posted via Mobile Device

greenchoppers
05-31-2010, 09:12 PM
Usually you can't mow right after a hurricane, so your using chainsaws, so if you were realy in need of gas, you could siphon it out of your mowers and add oil to it it for saws, same with trimmers, you might want to use your blowers though, diesel on the other hand, that'd be a little harder to obtain unles you had a tank or diesel mowers, bt if you were in need of it, you could steel it from semi trucks.
Posted via Mobile Device

There are a few different options we may entertain in order to keep our equipment running. However, no matter how bad we are in need, theft will not be an option.

nepatsfan
05-31-2010, 09:13 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

LOL...Whenever you have a natural disaster people just start looting. I didnt know that people planned it in advance.:laugh:

ajslands
05-31-2010, 09:46 PM
There are a few different options we may entertain in order to keep our equipment running. However, no matter how bad we are in need, theft will not be an option.

I personally wouldn't steel, unless I had to save my family or someone else,
Posted via Mobile Device

ajslands
05-31-2010, 09:47 PM
LOL...Whenever you have a natural disaster people just start looting. I didnt know that people planned it in advance.:laugh:

I didn't say anything about planning
Posted via Mobile Device

greenchoppers
05-31-2010, 09:56 PM
I personally wouldn't steel, unless I had to save my family or someone else,
Posted via Mobile Device

Around here in South Louisiana in post-hurricane periods, marshal law is declared. You would probably get shot even trespassing or being too close to someone's property. You don't want to violate anyones personality, rights, space or anything else for that matter.

unkownfl
05-31-2010, 09:59 PM
I have 20 5 gallon cans. I fill them when gas is cheap and use them when it goes up. I have a fuel transfer pump so its pretty easy for me. I usually start to use them up at least every three months I put dates on with masking tape.

CowboysLawnCare
05-31-2010, 10:02 PM
Around here in South Louisiana in post-hurricane periods, marshal law is declared. You would probably get shot even trespassing or being too close to someone's property. You don't want to violate anyones personality, rights, space or anything else for that matter.

There has been cases around my town of generators being stolen while they were running in the middle of the night. I have a couple of 55 gallon barrells that I fill up with gas and diesel. They have hand pumps on the top.

Jay Ray
05-31-2010, 11:09 PM
After a serious storm the gas goes first to FEMA, the military, law enforcement, civil defense, the power companies, and large gov. contractors who clear the roads and load & haul out the debris.

Whatever is left you might wait in line 12 to 16 hours for, and hand push your vehicle to the station a little at a time. If the station is out, but a tanker truck is due in 8 hours most people will stay in line.

It takes a lot of fuel to keep a home barely running (with no AC) until the utilities are restored. Just turn on a coffee pot and hear that load change the sound of a 5000w generator. Sure you'd like a bigger unit, but you're lucky to have fuel for a 5000w when it is 3 or 4 weeks to get electricity back. We keep a lot of propane on hand also for the grill.

I'm out in the country, but only about 8 miles north of the coast, and hope I won't have to power wash crude off the house (hurled by the wind) this storm season.

ajslands
05-31-2010, 11:14 PM
You guys remember the blackout of 2003 or 2004?
Posted via Mobile Device

ShooterK2
05-31-2010, 11:49 PM
For those of you not prone to hurricanes but may be susceptible to other natural disasters (i.e, tornadoes, ice storms, etc), how do you handle getting gasoline for your equipment?

We have tornadoes here, but getting fuel is not a problem, as a tornado is small in comparison to a hurricane, and will usually only destroy a narrow swath. So, while one or two stations may not be open (or even still standing....), there are others that will not have been touched at all. Power may go out for a short while, but, unless the storm was huge (very rare), the power companies will have it back on within a day.

Of course there have been worse cases (May 3rd, 1999, for instance), but I've never had to deal with that personally.

KingImprovements
06-01-2010, 12:18 AM
We stock up before hand. It's just something we all grew up doing. But worst case scenario I can usually get fuel easily being that I work for the fire department. I ave an agreement with the guy that delivers fuel to our station generators, that if need be he will drop off a skid tank of fuel at my house
Posted via Mobile Device

ajslands
06-01-2010, 12:27 AM
We stock up before hand. It's just something we all grew up doing. But worst case scenario I can usually get fuel easily being that I work for the fire department. I ave an agreement with the guy that delivers fuel to our station generators, that if need be he will drop off a skid tank of fuel at my house
Posted via Mobile Device

Just sneak up to one of the pumps at your station, I'm sure your chief wouldn't mind. :laughing:
Posted via Mobile Device

KingImprovements
06-01-2010, 01:37 AM
After reading my post. I think it makes me sound like I would be "stealing" the fuel. I pay for the fuel that is getting dropped off but I just have first right of refusal when a storm comes. But we are usually ushered into a station bcause it is pretty imperative that we be able to get to work. We don't have pumps at or stations for the trucks so we have to go to the gas station like everyone else but we do skip ahead.
Posted via Mobile Device

ajslands
06-01-2010, 01:58 AM
I think our station is one of the few that have there own pumps, but it is a police and fire dept. Because we're only a town of about 10,000 ppl on a little island only about 7 miles long and 2 miles wide at it's greatest width,
Posted via Mobile Device

topsites
06-01-2010, 02:34 AM
I'm guessing you haven't been through the experience lately?

Around where I live we don't handle hurricanes, they handle us.
First it ain't no free-for-all grab bag of loot.

Once martial law takes effect I don't think I would want to be caught trying to
capitalize on much of anything, now if it's that bad there's no fuel anywhere
maybe the best thing to do is stay home.

You'll want to see about getting a radio working so you can listen to what they
have to say, usually there are important announcements concerning the situation
and what to do, and all of that.

KingImprovements
06-01-2010, 05:52 AM
Nope, sure haven't! We haven't had a memorable hurricane since Gustav, and it sure hurts the family fence business. Ajslands and topsites, where are y'all from?
Posted via Mobile Device

Richard Martin
06-01-2010, 05:58 AM
Fiil up my truck (37 gal)
Wife's car (18 gal)
Mustang (15 gal)
All of the mowers (20+ gal)
All of the "extra" lawn equip. (7 gal)
generator (5 gal)
7 -5 gallon cans (35 gal)

That's 137 gallons. That should hold us for a day or 2.

jkingrph
06-01-2010, 03:27 PM
Quote:

There has been cases around my town of generators being stolen while they were running in the middle of the night. I have a couple of 55 gallon barrells that I fill up with gas and diesel. They have hand pumps on the top.
__________________Quote:

When I get my generator out it is locked to a column supporting either the house or carport with one of those heavy tow type chains and a big strong lock. It might not keep it from being stolen but shure would slow down a thief, and he best not let me catch him in the act.

C & T Landscaping
06-01-2010, 03:58 PM
We have a box with a propane grill (a little camping one) with the propane. Matches and everything you need for a week. As for gas I would go while there still talking about where it's going to hit and but a bunch of 5gal tanks. Then fill them up. If the 'cane misses you oh well right? Better to be safe than sorry.

milkie62
06-01-2010, 11:15 PM
I am in the Northeast.Usually by Thanksgiving I have 25 gallons of fuel in the shed,Atv is usually full as is all 4 snowmobiles.I have a diesel Kubota that can run my 25kw generator.I also have a 1kw honda and a 6.5 kw generator.I also have a wood stove in the house and a Outdoor wood boiler.Always have plenty of batteries for the radio and TV.I can cook on the wood stove and get water from a spring for drinking and toilet flushing.I am always pretty set for winter should a monster blizzard come through. Do not care about mowing lawns or plowing snow during a disaster.Do have a big collection of chainsaws that can handle anything short of a giant redwood.

ajslands
06-01-2010, 11:28 PM
Nope, sure haven't! We haven't had a memorable hurricane since Gustav, and it sure hurts the family fence business. Ajslands and topsites, where are y'all from?
Posted via Mobile Device

I'm just south of Detroit and on the water too! But the great lakes don't produce many hurricanes.

I fact I live on a little island called grosse ile, which is is the middle of the detroit river, and the most we've had is a microburst, Mayer a samll tornado back in 05? Idk some where around their.
But I've never been through a hurricane,
Posted via Mobile Device

Coastal Lawn Maintenance
06-01-2010, 11:46 PM
like everyone else just fill up every car and truck tank 10 5 gallon gas cans mowers, 21k generator runs on lp so can keep shop running and keep working

topsites
06-02-2010, 01:03 AM
Posted via Mobile Device

I'm from Richmond, we went through Hurricane Isabelle about 8 years ago, also
I was stationed in Charleston when Hurricane Hugo came through that town.

It's just not a pretty picture and I'm sure most gather as much but when it
comes down to making money there's yet another line that's drawn.

It is not like regular yard work at all.
It's not like when a regular customer or even a new customer calls wanting or
needing some work done, like lets say I want a new paint job on my car, no.
It's more like I was just minding my own business when somebody PLOWED into
my vehicle and destroyed it and now I'm stuck with the bill.
There's a feeling of loss associated with that, then there can be, and there usually is
at least some trouble getting insurance companies to pay as well, checks can and do bounce
during times like these, folks get desperate and can and will stiff you as well.
Best way to say it is it's just not a pretty situation.

The rates are generally cut throat because most locals are just trying to help restore the town
to something that resembles order, then they usually pass a law that makes 'gouging' a crime
meaning we don't even want to THINK about charging a lot plus in most cases it's our own customers,
we really don't want to take advantage of the folks.

Last but not least there can be some animosity towards out of towners coming around,
it's one thing if they came to truly help but when they want money it tends
to raise hairs on people's necks.

Which...
Help is appreciated, but a lot of it does depend on how it comes about.

Hawg City Lawns
06-02-2010, 01:14 AM
we have some major ice storms here i keep 5 5gal cans filled up when theres a storm on the way mostly for the generators but always keep some for the cars and trucks just in case theres an emergency but on the other end my fam is from the fort walton beach fl area and we head down there every year sometimes we get caught in a hurricane or a tropical storm everywhere is usually out of gas 2 days before one hits so my advice in either situation is be like everyone else and just fill up a ton of cans and keep the cars and trucks topped off and wait its pretty much the only thing you can do