PDA

View Full Version : Ever mow the wrong yard?

rjh4758
05-31-2010, 10:53 PM
I mowed the wrong yard today. Had new customer contact me this week to start mowing 4 rentals they have. They gave me directions to 3 of them and an address to the forth. There happened to be 2 red homes with cream shutters on the same street.

I just unloaded and made the first pass when a car pulled in. I could tell he wanted to talk so I stopped. That's when he told me I was at the wrong place. Then he asked me how much to mow his yard so I told him the price and said to just finish mowing because he didn't have the time to do it. So I picked up an extra yard.

Thankfully the right home had the same size yard so my estimate was OK.

Ever happen to anyone else?

CowboysLawnCare
05-31-2010, 10:55 PM
Haha, no, it hasn't happened yet but I always worry about it.

unkownfl
05-31-2010, 10:56 PM
Maybe I should just drive around and mow yards that need it lol. I had a friend help me on busy day he edged the wrong yard guess he didn't see me go through the gate lol. This is why OSHA requires pre-job briefings.

bobhardt
05-31-2010, 10:57 PM
No but it has crossed my mind before when Im on a new property for the first time. " Am I at the right address?" :laugh:

FiveOJoe
05-31-2010, 11:00 PM
No, but I know a lady who came home one day and a roofer was just finishing her new roof, which she didn't order.

He was on a "Lane" when he should have been around the corner on a "Court".

rjh4758
05-31-2010, 11:10 PM
No, but I know a lady who came home one day and a roofer was just finishing her new roof, which she didn't order.

He was on a "Lane" when he should have been around the corner on a "Court".

ouch!!!! That one cost$$$

Turf Dawg
05-31-2010, 11:10 PM
Not personally, but yes some of my employees [when I had them] have mowed the wrong place before. One time they mowed a small apartment when they were supposed to mow the duplexes beside them and to make matters worse one had a trash bag in his back pocket which got sucked into a backpack blower.

coxslawncare
05-31-2010, 11:16 PM
pulled up to a rental property at the begining of this year, there were 2 houses on the street. One yard was calf high the other had a guy just finishing the yard. I didnt pay any attention, talked to the tenant and cut the tall yard. The next week I get a call asking if I had cut the property I had been asked about. Turns out the one I was supposed to cut was the one getting cut, the girls dad had come over to cut it and we just happened to be there at the same time. Still got paid for it though so it was ok

DJJS
05-31-2010, 11:24 PM
it's crossed my mind a few times but haven't done it yet, I've had my guys plow the wrong driveways though :hammerhead:

nepatsfan
05-31-2010, 11:29 PM
Years ago a friend of mine asked me to mow some of his lawns for him. He was a part time landscaper and didnt have time that week. He gave me the wrong address. I went up and knocked on the door and no one answered so I unloaded, started mowing and a guy came out yelling at me that he just seeded his lawn. The lawn was high but I saw the seed which is why I knocked and called my buddy. He said the guy called him the other day saying it really needed to be mowed, I described the house and he said go ahead. What a pita...the guy freaked a little. Thats what I get for trying to do favors for people. It was in a cookie cutter neighborhood and it just so happened that the houses looked very similar, same color and everything.

Last year one of my customers had guys start to demo her deck. Set up tools and sawzalled her railings off before she noticed. I ended up building her a new deck.

dwlah
05-31-2010, 11:43 PM
Havent mowed the wrong one but have done an estimate for the wrong house

tjlco
05-31-2010, 11:56 PM
wow, I guess I'm an idiot....I've mowed the wrong yard more than once...I have mostly all groups of 3 -12 lawns at a time. Just last week i was going across the backs, 4 in a row skip 2 do 2 skip one do 3.....yeah....it was Friday and hot, and lets say one got a free cutting, but just the back, as one of the guys was doing fronts and sides...

My trimmer guy looked at me....and said...wooohooo the boss is buyin lunch on monday...

lol thats an ongoing rule with me.....you do the wrong house you gotta buy everyone lunch....and thats the way it goes

SLGLawnServer
06-01-2010, 12:23 AM
Haahhahahah! maybe I shouldn't laugh, it may happen to me!

Merkava_4
06-01-2010, 02:39 AM
There happened to be 2 red homes with cream shutters on the same street.

LMAO!!!! :laugh:

BadRancher
06-01-2010, 02:52 AM
It happened to me almost 2 weeks ago. I was at 131 Woodgate Dr. and I was supposed to be at 131 Woodgate Pl. It was a first time account. I was running out of day light and it was the 1st house I saw when I got to the intersection.The lady there didn't stop me because she has a guy that cuts her yard. I felt like an idiot, I explained what happened to the lady and she paid me. I insisted that she didn't have to, but she did anyway. 7/8 of the way through, it dawned on me that there was supposed to be a pool, and I didn't see it.

Anyways, you are not alone.

rustyj
06-01-2010, 02:52 AM
When I was crew leader we sometimes did clean ups on some rental properties for a company I went to the adress I was given to by my boss. Infact about ten min after we were there he came by and checked up on us. Hour later the people came out and said did john send u over here to do a clean up I was like no dale did the property company she's like that's not our company. I ended up calling the boss and he got another. Address which was the right one. Needless to say we ragged on him awhile about that screw up
Posted via Mobile Device

ajslands
06-01-2010, 03:11 AM
I don't think I've ever mowed the wrong yard but I've snow plowed the wrong lot!

But I was helping a buddy one day and he hadn't told his client I was going to mow their lawn, so the lady pulls up and wants to talk to me and I told her what was going on and she was all cool with it and she told me she was wondering how to tell someone they are mowin the wrong yard, I replied "don't tell them 'till they're done" but now I regret saying that because ppl make mistakes and ppl have quoatas they have to make, so why have them waste there money on a lawn they don't get paid for.
Posted via Mobile Device

topsites
06-01-2010, 03:28 AM
I've changed the oil on the wrong engine before, can't say I've ever cut the wrong yard but I have cut a yard
where the customer and I did not have a clear agreement and it turned out they didn't want it, twice on that.

Hell on Blades
06-01-2010, 04:39 AM
Had a helper edge the wrong yard -- even waived at me as I started into the proper yard. Thanks DAD!!!

poncho62
06-01-2010, 08:49 AM
Snowplowed the wrong driveway once.....never did get paid.....lol

Darryl G
06-01-2010, 08:59 AM
Interesting marketing strategy, lol.

topsites
06-01-2010, 09:16 AM
Interesting marketing strategy, lol.

Especially since it is accidental.

txgrassguy
06-01-2010, 01:25 PM
Me personally - No, my crew though has several times.
After the first wrong address cut I told them when questions arise to call me FIRST then mow second. If I am not available then pass on it till they speak with me.
Well, I had one crew leader who thought he could make global decisions without me which resulted in his getting fired. Dude kept mowing the "wrong" properties so after the eleventh one I had enough.

MarcSmith
06-01-2010, 01:47 PM
so after the eleventh one I had enough.11 yards @ 30 bucks a pop plus the lost time/fuel .... I doubt he would have made it past 3-4 mistakes...

Ive done the whole sting of back yards and forget to skip one. IT happens...

STIHL GUY
06-01-2010, 03:02 PM
No but it has crossed my mind before when Im on a new property for the first time. " Am I at the right address?" :laugh:

yeah i also hate when mowing a lawn for the first time and you cant figure out where the property line is

BadRancher
06-01-2010, 09:25 PM
yeah i also hate when mowing a lawn for the first time and you cant figure out where the property line is

Me too. I just try to look for the neighbors cut line and go from there. If thats not the case, then I just make an extra pass around where I presume the property line is.

coxslawncare
06-01-2010, 10:00 PM
I did land surveying for a summer in high school, never thought it would be useful later on but I am pretty good at picking out property lines now. Around here they always fall between 2 water meters on one side. Then the neighbors cut line is always a good sign, there is usually some difference that you can pick out that shows you the line though.

kocur26
06-01-2010, 10:04 PM
no but i plowed the wrong driveway and the backed over a small apple tree.don't plow when your hungover

rm25x
06-01-2010, 10:16 PM
wow some good stories guys