PDA

View Full Version : Wish Me Luck!

MOturkey
06-01-2010, 12:01 AM
Well, today was my last day on the milk route after 27 years. I had intended to work at least another year, but a friend of mine with a mowing business called a week ago and said he was having some health problems, and needed to get out of the business pronto. At one time, he was one of the largest solo operators around here, but sold off about half his business a few years ago. I went over to talk to him, and he offered me quite reasonable terms to take over the rest of his accounts.

Adding his accounts (approximately 50% of what I was already mowing, dollar wise), kind of put me over the top to the point trying to run the business and work 40 hours plus on the milk route was going to be nearly impossible, so I made the decision to just turn in my retirement and go for it. It will probably take me a couple of weeks to get the schedule, now a nightmare, straightened out, but it will, I hope, eventually come together. Depending upon how much my wife helps, me, I may be mowing as much as 50 hours, but that is a lot better than 25-30 hours plus the job, and I no longer have to work for a big company that would rather look for something small and insignificant that you are doing wrong, than reward you for doing all the big stuff right.

Anyway, I got some cardboard and onion sacks at my last stop the other day. Needed the cardboard to make some "Will work for food" signs, and the onion sacks work great for picking up aluminum cans! :)

rickyg
06-01-2010, 12:07 AM
You will do fine, just stay positive.

Something my wife always tells me:

You have to believe it before you receive it!

T.M. LAWNS
06-01-2010, 12:08 AM
Good luck Neill. :drinkup:

Lawnut101
06-01-2010, 12:16 AM
Sounds like a pretty good opportunity! Wish you the best. Work hard.

Razorblades
06-01-2010, 01:40 AM
Good luck with the new job. Enjoy it as much as possible, don't get stressed about it and the schedule will eventually come together! then you'll be hauling your money to the bank by the wheelbarrow load!:)

Seriously, good luck with this new endeavour. It can't be easy to leave the somewhat "safe" company job like that. But in the long run you'll probably be more satisfied with your full time mowing service.

Lehighlawnpros
06-02-2010, 07:46 PM
Congratulations Neill,
I'm confident that you'll do very well.
And yes, being your own boss can be a wonderful thing!

Definitely get your wife to help if she will, female operators are capable of the highest quality work, my mother works with me full time and does all of the mowing (Grasshopper 722D 52")
she's 80 years young and is one of the best ztr operators around with 6,000 hours+ experience. We make a great team and it's very rewarding to work together in a stress/strife-free environment.

Remember to keep the quality high and the blades sharp :-)

cbkc
06-03-2010, 02:02 AM
Working for yourself will feel great. If you work as hard doing grass as you do doing milk you will be fine!!

topsites
06-03-2010, 02:04 AM
I think you'll do fine.

grassman177
06-03-2010, 08:24 AM
you will be ok, but wow the dude with an over 80 yo mom mowing grass, i bet that is one awesome sight!

rain man
06-03-2010, 09:06 AM
Nothing like pulling in a little easy money.

SLMGT
06-04-2010, 09:41 PM
Good Luck, Neil. Enjoy working for yourself instead of making money for someone else.:usflag:

clean_cut
06-04-2010, 11:10 PM
Trust in the Lord and do good; so you will live in the land, and enjoy security. Take delight in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart. Commit your way to the Lord; trust in him, and he will act. Be still before the Lord, and wait patiently for him. (Psalm 37:3-5, 7a)

I'm sure you'll do great! Keep us informed on how the business goes!

MOturkey
06-05-2010, 12:32 AM
Thanks, guys, for all the well-wishes and words of encouragement. So far, so good. We actually finished mowing the last of the new accounts today (several are bi-weekly). We've lost 3 of the "new" accounts, which I expected. One I wouldn't have minded keeping, but the other two I really didn't care.

A few of the new accounts are underpriced pretty badly, but I figure I can live with them at least through the remainder of this season, then, depending upon our financial situation, either drop them, or attempt to raise them to where they need to be. We actually picked up a couple of new accounts since I made the transition, and I bid both of them about right, so they actually more than make up for the lost accounts.

I'm still a bit nervous, wondering if I did the right thing, but know things generally seem to work out if you just keep on plugging along. As with many other Americans, health care was is the biggest issue. I went from insurance being company paid, to paying about $430 a month, for coverage which is not as good as I had when I was working. Adding that to the reduction in income of my pension vs salary, and I now suispect I'll need the mowing income, rather than have it for extra money as in the past, which is a bit disconcerting, to say the least.