PDA

View Full Version : Z-turns make me sick as a dog!

SLGLawnServer
05-31-2010, 11:42 PM
Am I alone on this one? The center of rotation is what kills me like being spun around in place. I'll feel fine until I stand up then the whole world starts spinning and I wanna puke! Takes an hour for me to recover, but until then, I'm out of commission. I hate taking motion sickness pills because they make me feel like I shouldn't drive while I'm on them. I've had to resort to a walk behind, but I'm considering a good quality tractor. I'm getting too old to walk behind a mower all day since I'm a stand alone operator/owner and have to do the work of a crew (not big enough to hire by no means). Just wondering if I was the only strange one here.

sdk1959
05-31-2010, 11:53 PM
Am I alone on this one? The center of rotation is what kills me like being spun around in place. I'll feel fine until I stand up then the whole world starts spinning and I wanna puke! Takes an hour for me to recover, but until then, I'm out of commission. I hate taking motion sickness pills because they make me feel like I shouldn't drive while I'm on them. I've had to resort to a walk behind, but I'm considering a good quality tractor. I'm getting too old to walk behind a mower all day since I'm a stand alone operator/owner and have to do the work of a crew (not big enough to hire by no means). Just wondering if I was the only strange one here.

If all that turning is from doing stripes then stop and mow in a circle pattern. If your customers don't care if the lawns are striped then why should you and no more dizziness.:dizzy: If they do care about stripes then your S.O.L.

ToroLandscaper
06-01-2010, 12:03 AM

I have never had this problem, however have you thought about not taking such "extreme" turns? For instance instead of doing a "zero degree turn" doing three point turns?

Also, I find myself almost looking ahead when I do zero turns...its kind of hard to explain but my eyes are not looking in my immediate areas or down at the ground when I am doing turns but are looking up and further out (this may prevent getting sick because of your eyes focusing)...I think this might be what helps me...however I am by no mean and optometrist

SLGLawnServer
06-01-2010, 12:03 AM
If all that turning is from doing stripes then stop and mow in a circle pattern. If your customers don't care if the lawns are striped then why should you and no more dizziness.:dizzy: If they do care about stripes then your S.O.L.

OH, NO, not from doing any particular pattern, just constant motion of just maneuvering around obstacles, I'm SOL in any case with the z-turn. Just wondering if anyone else experiencing this too.

topsites
06-01-2010, 01:23 AM
I don't think I have ever experienced motion sickness when I'm at the controls...
You sure it's not heat stress?

Coastal Lawn Maintenance
06-01-2010, 07:51 AM
i agree with topsites about i think it some sort of heat stress and then when u get up after sitting for a while things do get fuzzy. but if it the turning from a zturn i don't see how a walk behind will be any different

SLGLawnServer
06-01-2010, 07:53 AM
I don't think I have ever experienced motion sickness when I'm at the controls...
You sure it's not heat stress?

No, I'm sure it's not or I would be even worse behind the walk behind. I have a history of motion sickness. As long as I'm behind the center of rotation, I'm fine. Don't know anything about riding in front of the center of rotation since I've never used a machine that required it.

SLGLawnServer
06-01-2010, 07:55 AM
i agree with topsites about i think it some sort of heat stress and then when u get up after sitting for a while things do get fuzzy. but if it the turning from a zturn i don't see how a walk behind will be any different

Center of rotation, think about being spun around like a top same as when you were a kid, you have done that before I'm assuming. :dizzy:

Darryl G
06-01-2010, 07:57 AM
I get a little dizzy on one property I mow but that's on the riding platform of my walk behind from spinning around the rocks and other obstacles. It's a commercial property with lots of ledge outcrops and poles and such so I cut in with the WB before getting on the Z. Just wondering, do you keep you head up or are you staring down.

mowisme
06-01-2010, 08:25 AM
eating enough?..not drinking enough, or blood pressure out of wack? Don't know ..but I'd be seeing a doctor. I get that way if I get dehydrated. You might have a imbalance of something..I'd get checked out.

coxslawncare
06-01-2010, 08:37 AM
Have you tried a stander? It would move you behind the center slightly, though not much, and is about as productive as a Z on residentials

br549oicu8
06-01-2010, 08:38 AM
eating enough?..not drinking enough, or blood pressure out of wack? Don't know ..but I'd be seeing a doctor. I get that way if I get dehydrated. You might have a imbalance of something..I'd get checked out.

I recently experienced a couple of rounds of Vertigo (dizziness to the point of extreme nausea). A friend is in the medical field and advised similar to above quoted post. She advised to check blood pressure standing, sitting and laying down. Also, she advised me to slightly increase salt intake. I have been ok since. Might be something to ask the doc about.
Hope all goes well.

ToroLandscaper
06-01-2010, 11:38 PM
I recently experienced a couple of rounds of Vertigo (dizziness to the point of extreme nausea). A friend is in the medical field and advised similar to above quoted post. She advised to check blood pressure standing, sitting and laying down. Also, she advised me to slightly increase salt intake. I have been ok since. Might be something to ask the doc about.
Hope all goes well.

I have had Vertigo a couple of times but not from mowing, I think it was an ear infection/sinus infection type deal or something of that nature. The doctor told me that your ears help you balance and if they get "off track," so to speak, that it will cause extreme dizziness. And the doctor also advised me of little things to do from time to time to prevent it, and also when I think I am about to get really dizzy.

Sammy
06-02-2010, 12:32 AM
.......... As long as I'm behind the center of rotation, I'm fine. .......

What about a outfront mower ?

GrassIsGreenerLawnCare
06-02-2010, 01:03 AM
you said ur getting too old to walk behind your "walk behind" lol but have u tried a velke/sulky?? this might be a little easier on the turning since u control the speed the whole way around your turns plus u wont have to walk around all day. man that sux tho i wish u luck.