PDA

View Full Version : Getting new customers this late in the season

lawnsaspire
06-01-2010, 01:42 AM
Best way to get new customers this late? Other than refferals of course. I put out some flyers with the estimates right on them, never tried it before, didn't get a single call. What's the best way you've found?

Tinkerer
06-01-2010, 04:15 AM
I found that it was very hard to get new customers after about july 4th. By then they have hired someone or bought a new mower.

MOturkey
06-01-2010, 10:55 PM
I'm not sure there is any particular "method" for picking up new accounts well into the season, but it seems that every year we do (got two new ones this week). One had personal issues with the person who was mowing, and the other just moved to town.

It is about this time that some guys starting a business get disillusioned, and quit showing up. Seems like every year I get a couple of those calls. Good luck.

sfddelta1
06-01-2010, 11:10 PM
well i am about to open a whole can of worms here but we are throwing 800 flyers a week. I have tweaked my flyer over the last 3 years we are closing accounts left and right. We closed 5 new mowing customers last week and 4 spring clean ups. We have been averaging about 3 new mowing customers a week.

LouisianaLawnboy
06-01-2010, 11:43 PM
I'm not sure there is any particular "method" for picking up new accounts well into the season, but it seems that every year we do (got two new ones this week). One had personal issues with the person who was mowing, and the other just moved to town.

It is about this time that some guys starting a business get disillusioned, and quit showing up. Seems like every year I get a couple of those calls. Good luck.

I agree with that, and here in LA the heat really starts going so customers are ready to get a LCO to do it.

Ron's TLL
06-01-2010, 11:53 PM
well i am about to open a whole can of worms here but we are throwing 800 flyers a week. I have tweaked my flyer over the last 3 years we are closing accounts left and right. We closed 5 new mowing customers last week and 4 spring clean ups. We have been averaging about 3 new mowing customers a week.

how about posting your flier for all to see? I am always looking for new ideas.

4 seasons lawn&land
06-02-2010, 12:01 AM
heres mine... print on 100# glossy stock and looks good to me.

I have 3000+ left.

Woody82986
06-02-2010, 12:05 AM
This time of year I start getting calls and emails with people who are unhappy with the job their current LCO is providing. I got three of these calls today. All pretty much the same. I only advertize online so it's just a pretty steady stream all year long. Sometimes I get bursts of a lot of calls and some weeks its slow, but it normally evens out.

lawnsaspire
06-02-2010, 12:33 AM
This time of year I start getting calls and emails with people who are unhappy with the job their current LCO is providing. I got three of these calls today. All pretty much the same. I only advertize online so it's just a pretty steady stream all year long. Sometimes I get bursts of a lot of calls and some weeks its slow, but it normally evens out.

How do you advertise online, is there a specific site that a lot of people in your area use?
I got a new customer today b/c the guy who was mowing for her never trimmed and only mowed the perimeter of the back yard and then left she was cursing left and right just telling me about it. I hope she's not mean and was just mad about his negligence.

bohiaa
06-02-2010, 12:34 AM
we get them all year long

dhunterd08
06-02-2010, 01:02 AM
I agree with that, and here in LA the heat really starts going so customers are ready to get a LCO to do it.

I think I am gonna embark on last ditch marketing effort the next couple of weeks for that reason right there, but you have excellent taste in equipment/vehicles lol

mowerbrad
06-02-2010, 01:10 AM
I really don't find flyers to be that effective. I passed out about 500 to a couple neighborhoods within a mile of my house, and I got ZERO calls from them.

Honestly, referrals are the best way to get work. Just in the past week, I picked up one job from someone who walked up to me while I was at a job, one was a referral from a neighbor of mine and one was a referral from a current customer. Two of the jobs are residentials and one is a large apartment complex (about 6 acres of mowing on a 20+ acre property). I landed one job, I already gave an estimate to one and the apartment complex will be bid on tomorrow.

There truely is no better way to gain business than referrals.

Golfpro21
06-02-2010, 08:21 AM
heres mine... print on 100# glossy stock and looks good to me.

I have 3000+ left.

that's a very good flyer

topsites
06-02-2010, 11:00 AM
How do you know what kind of work the customer wants done?

delphied
06-02-2010, 11:24 AM

And you are prolly closing accounts because your prices are very very low. That is the true secret to having alot of customers if that is what you want.

lawnsaspire
06-02-2010, 11:44 AM
And you are prolly closing accounts because your prices are very very low. That is the true secret to having alot of customers if that is what you want.

What's better, not having the new customers, or having new customers at a lower price that is still reasonable and turns you a profit. Some times people on here make me sick with their constant accusations of lowballing. I mean, some people on here act like if you charge $30 for a small yard you're lowballing.

delphied
06-02-2010, 09:51 PM
What's better, not having the new customers, or having new customers at a lower price that is still reasonable and turns you a profit. Some times people on here make me sick with their constant accusations of lowballing. I mean, some people on here act like if you charge $30 for a small yard you're lowballing.

You sure read alot in my comment. If people on here want to mow any yard for $22 like the Craiglist ads I see, that is their business. I would rather play golf myself. You would save money by playing golf in most cases if you are a legitimate business. Maybe you would rather I didnt say that for fear of getting sick. The guys that used to comment on this site a few years ago that wouldnt drop their gate for under $35 are gone. I have a feeling it is because they knew it was pointless to mow a lawn for less. If you just plain enjoy riding a mower, hey, go for it.