PDA

View Full Version : rolling bobcat

scott's turf
07-15-2002, 05:26 PM
Has anyone here rolled a skidsteer? I rent one usually a few times a year and the last time I used one I started getting a little cocky with it. I was spreading loam on the side of a slight hill headed slightly downward (not smart) and the over loaded bobcat started to tip forward and my inexperience caused me to pull back on the levers which resulted in the cat tipping over forward. Luckily for me there was a tree there and it stoped me from going more than a vertical position. I was hanging from the restraints and nearly fell out of the machine. I was fine and had to use my truck and a few good pulls to get it back on the wheels. After that I slowed it down a bit and took smaller loads.

ProMo
07-15-2002, 05:29 PM
my redneck scrub neihbor walks them on two wheel all the way down the street even lets his 10 yr old klid drive it on jobsites

ipm
07-15-2002, 10:10 PM
Keep your bucket down if your are loaded going down a hill and you will be fine. Going up a hill keep some material in the bucket so you don't flip backwards.

CT18fireman
07-16-2002, 12:06 AM
If you tipped forward why not use the bucket to right yourself? Most of the time I see people tipping back when the arms are too high. Usually they rock onto the back wheels and frame. Need to be carefull because of the short wheelbase. Best course of action IMO if you start to tip is to stop moving and lower you arm.

scott's turf
07-16-2002, 09:14 AM
there was no tipping my self back on the wheels. The arm or bucket would not budge. It was operator error and I new it right when it happened. I didn't have too many hours on the machine and I started feeling too comfortable. Luckily I didn't go over. Probably could have been hurt pretty badly.

Hawkeye5
07-16-2002, 09:54 AM
It is fairly easy to roll a bobcat, so you have to be careful. When I first started operating one I was taught to always carry the load low, and always dump into the truck from the uphill side. The one I used had a tendency to "buck" alot (tire pressure?). Just let go the controls and it would stop. JD

get rich
07-16-2002, 09:23 PM
i've always had pretty good luck and never tipped them backwards,but have fell forward alot, i ran a bob cat loading firewood onto a conveyer belt.but it was always cause of to heavy of a load.if i had trouble goin up a hill in the summer doing dirt work, i aleays could back up a hill with an empty bucket.when i needed to though the bucket shoved into the ground leveled straight up and down,i could propell myself backwards by leveling the bucket.you just basically have to just play with it to get comfortable with it.thats what insurance on rented equipment is for right? learn by trial and error before you buy your own,just be careful out there. good luck!!

kris
07-16-2002, 11:27 PM
From what I can figure from the post... the tree was stopping you from lowering the bucket ? This would have set you back on your wheels.

If you are loading a truck and you happen to have a heavy load in the bucket and the machine is not strong enough, it may tip forward.. you have to be quick with the foot petals and dump the load.

Tipping backwards is no big deal ... it will just sit on the belly ...lower your bucket and you will come upright. Of course if you had a load in the bucket you will probably wear half the load.

I still find some time to jump on a machine once and a while . Last week we started a commercial job doing 6m wide road median's eight blocks long. plenty of street light and other obstacles.
I managed to spread and grade 960 yards in 2 days with a 863. The 34c heat and heavy dust slowed me down quite a bit.

It really is just like anything... practise makes you better.

ps. have you ever seen a bunch of a Bobcats square dancing ? It is quite a sight... I saw them at a rodeo many years ago ...very entertaining.

Pelican
07-16-2002, 11:35 PM
I was taught to always carry the load low
This rule applies to any loader one should operate, the vehicle is much more stable with the load low, this lowers the center of gravity.

dan deutekom
07-17-2002, 07:37 PM
Practice makes it better. When things go wrong with skidsteers instinct dictates that you do the WRONG thing with the controls. It you are tipping forward drop the load and move the sticks forward. If tipping back drop the load and move the sticks back. Goes against the natural feeling but it works. When I load lockstone with our Case 45c it is always to heavy with a full pallet. I can do it as long as I keep the machine moving forward until I reach the truck. If I stop it does the big nose dive. Fun but scarey the first few times:D