PDA

View Full Version : dont no what to buy

just in time
06-01-2010, 01:39 PM
Can any one tell me if the FS 90 R Trimmer is any good? I m 15 and i m looking for a walk behind. How much does and scag belt drive 36" goes for?

pics http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=318434 on page 1 and 3 tell me what u think thanks

cherharr503
06-01-2010, 02:07 PM
i am also 15, i bought a used fs 90 r trimmer, it works great, would not buy anything else, put the biggest line you can get on it and dont take off the guard, thats how i do it just watch when your trimming around pots or decorative lights, my brother broke a decorative pot this year, just dont revv it too high when you are working around delicate stuff like that, other than that, it is perfect, lightweight its so powerful you can even establish edges with it ( it takes a few months to get that good though) i like our work, idk how much the mower costs though

biggziff
06-01-2010, 02:09 PM
You might try here:

http://www.ego4u.com/

just in time
06-01-2010, 02:15 PM
hahah real funny

SchnabelLawnCare
06-01-2010, 03:38 PM
1. What does your age have to do with ANY of this?
2. You should pay a little more attention in grammar class.
3. Look on craigslist and see if you find a 36" mower. Decent belt drive units will likely run from 900-1800.

GrassIsGreenerLawnCare
06-01-2010, 04:10 PM
fs90r works awesome. plenty power and great throttle response. and i agree.....what does ur age have to do with this question?? weird

mowisme
06-01-2010, 04:20 PM
agree with Schnabell on look on CL for a good used belt drive. 36" is a good all-around mower to average lawns. hydro can come later unless you get a great deal. Belts are less cost to maintain thou. If you don't know a 'good' one verses a wore out one..best to bring a mechanical inclined friend along when looking. Cheap mower could end up being very expensive. If in good shape thou- best way to go this early in game is used. Don't start financing with co-signers..big mistake. (not sure can even do that at 15) as far as Scag- #1 in my book. on second note: listen..but don't take the critical comments personally- critic's seems to be the second job for many here. They have some valid points- but majority is un called for. Some stuff comes only with age and experience. Some put one thing with more value than another thing ..and so on and so on. If your working and have a plan to get somewhere at 15 in life..your A+ as far as I'm concerned..I know some 21 year olds that are walking in circles yet, or think life is just one big party. May God bless you in your mowing buisness.

just in time
06-01-2010, 05:06 PM
thanks mowisme they are all talk over the computer

BigGreen1
06-01-2010, 05:22 PM
Just in Time,

It's good that you are sticking with commercial walkbehinds. I wouldn't be afraid of a belt drive unit to get you started. My Toro got me started for 13 years. It still had the original drive belts when I sold it. A 36 will give you good flexibility with gates. I would avoid very large yards. I helped a relative purchase a 36 Bunton for $1200. It was in excellent condition.

Good Luck,
Tim

jbt79
06-01-2010, 06:59 PM
I bought my 36" Scag Walk Behind with a sulky on it for $1000. Check CL and some pawn shops. I got mine from a pawn shop. As for trimmers the FS 90 is great, I like the FS 110 Better and thats what I run. AND DON'T BUY A USED TRIMMER!!!!!! They are only a few hundred bucks and not worth the few dollars you save. I bought my trimmer and edger used a few months back and have already had to replace both. You never know what kinda life they had in the past. Mine looked practically brand new and started right up, but didnt last long at all, like 2 months tops. As for mowers, there's alot of good used ones out there, I wouldnt hesitate to buy another used mower,

SchnabelLawnCare
06-01-2010, 07:16 PM
Hey Just In Time, I'm sending you a PM.

EDIT. Not sure why you don't have PM yet, but I put my contact info in your visitors page.

clean_cut
06-01-2010, 09:55 PM
Yeah, some guys have given some good advice, don't forget to use the search feature on the forum, there are TONS of threads of people in your same situation.

DaytonBioLawns
06-02-2010, 04:12 AM
Yeah, the age is irrelevant. But, to answer your question, my FS 90R is more than enough trimmer for me. I run all kinds of different account routes in Dayton, Ohio. Commercial, residential, industrial, and everything in between. I bought an Exmark Metro 36" belt drive. It was probably 10 years old when I got it and that was 5 years ago. It runs like a top, I'd estimate 3,000 hours on the machine (it was personal use for my father, and his buddy before that). Now it is my main machine (I just refurbished it for $300). Scag, exmark, some of the others...they're all the same pretty much. Buy for utility not all the bells and whistles of a muscle mower (you don't need huge hp ratings). Search used, but if you are not mechanically inclined, find a shop that might teach you a little about a new mower you buy from them, and for those things over your head go to the professionals. Be ahead of the curve, and sell yourself as what you are; become a professional despite your age. Take the time to make every customer happy, always show up, go the extra mile...yada yada...but don't get used. As a contractor, you set what you and your employees do, and how they do it. If a customer says cut down my tree (given you are insured and know how to do so safely, lol) don't let them tell you how to swing the ax or operate your saw. Don't let anyone choose for you. Choose the equipment, employees, and customers based on what you think. Get real insurance and a real business license. If you are starting and you are under pricing (lowballing), you are leaving money on the table and probably haven't figured out the difference between working for wage, and earning/growing a business. If you ever need help on how to improve your services as a teen in business, ask me any question (pertaining to business) you want. my email is gpav3@aol.com if you can't PM (idk if i can this is a new account for my new branch).

Good luck,
Gregg