PDA

View Full Version : How low will you mow?

fredmullegun
06-01-2010, 01:52 PM
If mowing a grass like St. Aug which needs to be mowed high and a customer requests you mow lower, how low will you mow before you refuse.

assume they want to mow low just to extend mowing times.

Knight511
06-01-2010, 03:09 PM
I usually explain to them why I don't mow lower and caution them that their grass will likely die without an ungodly amount of watering. If they still want me down low, I will mow low and ignore how bad it looks. Some people just don't have any concept of saving water... most of the people that I have had this issue with were 60+ years old or former military (the combination of those two is really bad).

MarcSmith
06-01-2010, 03:18 PM
in reality mowing low won't extend the mowing times. it needs to me mowed more often to safely maintain that height. if they keep with the same schedule or try to extend it, ie form 7 to 14 days, it means you'll be cutting more grass off the plant each week and putting it under more stress (chinch bugs love stressed lawns) not to mention the double cutting you may have to endure and charge for...

DA Quality Lawn & YS
06-01-2010, 04:17 PM
Don't have southern turfgrass here obviously, BUT

make sure you spell out your mowing agreement CLEARLY (in writing preferred) before you start on any lawn. I have had customers that try and extend you out to save a buck (i.e. "can you skip me this week?" or "can we go biweekly" or "gee, it just doesn't seem long enough for a cut this week". Advise them you will get xx amount of cuts per season and they can PLAN on paying that amount, spread throughout the season. Then there is no expectation that they can get by with a few skips and pinch pennies on your back.

macgyver_GA
06-01-2010, 04:47 PM
One of my customers has tried on numerous occassions to get me to basically scalp her bermuda down and have me come biweekly. I still have to bring her back in line sometimes and explain to her how bermuda grows, even pulling a few sprigs to show her what happens when I cut it that low (no green left). I have to explain that it won't help at all and it will promote shallow roots, more weeds, worse drought tollerance, etc. She can be a know-it-all sometimes when she's in her "bad moods" but other days she is a very sweet lady. When shes in her "good moods" she will come out to my truck and re-fill my water jug with ice-water and sometimes bakes me brownies. I basically tell her that she pays me a monthly rate and I will mow the grass as I see fit. If that means weekly, then it will be mowed it weekly.
Posted via Mobile Device