PDA

View Full Version : Walker Mower Steering Problem?

Blmtlandscapes
06-01-2010, 03:00 PM
I have the walker model MC and love the machine. But one thing that I've noticed for awhile is that when I'm riding on pavement the steering becomes very odd. It will pull to one side and then when I adjust it will pull to the side that I just turned to. The odd part is when Im mowing it seems that the steering is fine, it only occurs on paved areas. I was just wondering if anyone has had this happen to them? thanks

AzLawnMan
06-02-2010, 12:47 PM
Does it give you an problems when going up hill or any type of incline/decline? What about when oyu go to load it on the trailer, does it give oyu any problems then? Does it do it to either side or just one side in particular?

Blmtlandscapes
06-02-2010, 07:04 PM
my worker said he notices it on an incline/decline as well... It is occuring on both sides. If it was pulling to one side It would make sense but this one I can't figure out, thanks

AzLawnMan
06-02-2010, 08:43 PM
The hydros could be going out, I just replaced one and it cost me $800! But if its happening only on pavement then you got me on this one. Only thing I can think of is that it is happening on the turf but since the tires are not grabbing you may not notice it. I would check the drive belt and the hydro oil. What year is the Walker?

Blmtlandscapes
06-02-2010, 08:55 PM
the mower has about 500 hrs on it and I got it new in 2008. The drive belt looks ok, its still the original one. Also all oil levels are good too. I might have to have the guys at the dealer take a look at. Thanks for the replies, ill let you know if I get it figured out.

AzLawnMan
06-02-2010, 09:10 PM
Are the gears greased? Sometimes when there not greased the gears will get stuck in the turning position. It should be the grease zerts on the handles underneath the seat. I am leaning towards something that may not be greased properly, my mechanic said if they go awhile without grease then they will start to rust nd wear from the inside. Just thought I'd give it another shot.

Springmeadows
06-02-2010, 09:51 PM
My older walker does the same thing. My dealer said to replace the springs on the hydro levers. I will post if this corrects it.

Blmtlandscapes
06-03-2010, 07:59 PM
Last night I made sure that I did an extra good job greasing the steering points and it definitely helped. Lack of grease was definitely the problem, thanks for the responses.

dobe
06-04-2010, 01:10 AM
i have one that does this also.

Fawcett
06-05-2010, 05:59 PM
Mine does it too, 390hrs+ on it. Sometimes it feels like its the hydro-other times the front right wheel on the deck seems to pull the machine to the right. I will be greasing the snot out of the whole machine in hopes of improvement. Maybe I'll do a spring swap if that doesn't help. To get straight lines I'm constantlly pulling back on the left handle. Not a big deal. Even if it never goes away, and even if I have to double cut lawns to get it right; this is by far the best mower I've ever used.

AzLawnMan
06-05-2010, 08:39 PM
Mine does it too, 390hrs+ on it. Sometimes it feels like its the hydro-other times the front right wheel on the deck seems to pull the machine to the right. I will be greasing the snot out of the whole machine in hopes of improvement. Maybe I'll do a spring swap if that doesn't help. To get straight lines I'm constantlly pulling back on the left handle. Not a big deal. Even if it never goes away, and even if I have to double cut lawns to get it right; this is by far the best mower I've ever used.

I think when this starts to happen you need to adjust the bolts below the sterring handles. There are two small bolts that you can adjust to either make it tighter or looser. If the left is pulling while you are driving then tighten or loosen that bolt up until you dont hear the gear making noise, then you know its neutral. Its not for major correction, just to fine tune. Very often when hauling in your trailer the walker will move and little by little those sterring leavers will move one way or the other, so you just have to fine tune them every now and again.

Firefighter337
06-06-2010, 11:52 PM
What ^ ^ said. Also, I believe there is a 3 year warranty on the gear boxes. I would check into it.

Springmeadows
06-09-2010, 06:13 PM
I greased mine and replaced the springs going back on those adjustment rods for the hydros. Mine is fixed now and tracks straight and running great. Also replaced the main engine to pto belt and put on new blades. I decided to take off the GHS box to see if it makes a difference on where I can go on a slope. Holy Cow what a difference. I put the machine where my walk behind used to go and mowed while doing it. Saved huge trimming time today.

Luke Reedy
04-25-2011, 11:50 PM
Check with your dealer but the hydros in my 08 come with a 3 yr warranty and both were replaced in 2010. The hydro manufacturer knows there is a problem with the newer ones and replacing them was no problem. The ease of replacement probably was due to #1--dealer being honest with me #2--dealer knows what he is talking about #3--he communicated the problem eloquently enough to the distributor and hydro manufacturer. Good luck-- my dealer is Theriot's Outdoor Power Equipment

Fawcett
04-26-2011, 10:30 AM
+1 on Luke Reedy's comment. My Walker kept acting funny so I took it to the dealer and asked one of the guys to ride it around in the parking lot. It didn't act up for them but they believed me and replaced the hydro. While on the job I'd be traveling straight with my left hand on the hydro levers and the left lever would pull back on its own. When the guys at the shop looked at it they noticed that the reservoir was low on fluid-though still sealed. Once the hydro was replaced she ran like a champ.

Just on a side note: Always keep an eye on your tire pressures. One under pressurized tire can skew your lines. Sometimes I de-bead a rear tire. They get hooked on a manhole cover at my house no less (better here than at a customers right?) Between jobs I give the ole' Walker the tire kick test to make sure they're aired up.

Hope this helps, GO WALKER GO!!!

jplawnmaint
04-26-2011, 10:44 PM
Tire pressure and lack of grease. We have late 90's walkers and grease is key to keeping them straight. Its usually the deck wheels that stick that cause it to track funny.
Posted via Mobile Device