PDA

View Full Version : Employee PDA

lawnangel1
06-01-2010, 02:27 PM
I see a lot of landscape software companies starting to come out with "mobile Software" to load onto a PDA and give your employees. Instead of getting a route sheet they get a PDA with there schedule loaded on there. Some even have gps and navigate your employees to the job site. Some are now even in Spainish. What I want to know is how have your employees adapted to using this technology. As an owner I see this as a great benefit, however I know my employees are extremely reluctant to change.(Its hard to even get them to use a new brand of equipment) So what are your experiences with giving employees these PDA devices?

bohiaa
06-01-2010, 11:11 PM
Just another way to market something that's NOT needed.

I remember running routes with a map. and NO we didn't have cell phones then.
we simply knew our job, and did it.....

I get around 2 to 3 hundres sales call's a year.
no one, and I mean no one has sold me anything to benifit me, it's always the other way around.

many salesmen and women have been trying to reenvent the wheel, but it just cant be done.

Teach your crew leaders where they need to be, show them how to read a map, keep your money in YOUR pocket and you will be fine

mikey.hill
06-04-2010, 08:23 PM
@bohiaa While you may not find some of these software apps useful, others might. TBO, I had aspirations of creating one but have since detoured and have been creating similar applications for closely related industries. I've even got a customer right now who's biggest complaint is that he has too much time to spare b/c of the software that I wrote for him. Not saying this is the truth in all cases, just that viewing things one dimensionally may work for some while others may find that they are more comfortable and effective using a piece of software to help them do their job.

@lawnangel1 - I wouldn't really look at software that 'loads' up on a phone, but rather software that is considered SaaS(Software as a service). This implies that it should be accessible via web, phone or pretty much anything that has internet capabilities. Many of your workers probably have this capability already if they have a cell phone, so the rest is trivial. As to what's provided in the LC industry I haven't really looked around much but there did seem to be several that had promise last time I checked, although I get the feeling that they were heading in the wrong direction and were more likely to be as much a hindrance to work as not using them.

I still lurk around here despite deciding not to develop software for the LC industry, mostly because I have 3 brothers who each own their own LC companies. Maybe one of these days when the iron's not so hot I'll sit down and write something because it definitely feels like the lawncare industry has been shafted on quality software that other industries are able to utilize to cut costs and decrease time spent doing tasks that could easily be automated.

Az Gardener
06-05-2010, 07:40 PM
We used the Hindsight program for a full year. We looked at several and tried Q-xpress briefly before settling on Hindsite. The PDA's in my opinion were not up to the task. They were too delicate, I had 3 and none of them lasted the year without problems. Also I didn't like being tied to the computer to review the days work and the format was difficult for me to read. Since we have canceled it has caused more problems as we still are not able to access information from while we were using the program.

When those big pads become more common we might give something a try but for now we are content with our daily worksheets.

bohiaa
06-06-2010, 11:25 AM
We used the Hindsight program for a full year. We looked at several and tried Q-xpress briefly before settling on Hindsite. The PDA's in my opinion were not up to the task. They were too delicate, I had 3 and none of them lasted the year without problems. Also I didn't like being tied to the computer to review the days work and the format was difficult for me to read. Since we have canceled it has caused more problems as we still are not able to access information from while we were using the program.

When those big pads become more common we might give something a try but for now we are content with our daily worksheets.

and the final cost issssss ?

this is my point to the tee. lets face it, most employees dont know how to use this software, the devices are way to expensive and if you drop one.
" well there goes 500.00 "

Plus a montly charge of 100.00 Plus.

guys, Belive it or not the landscaping business survied with out all this pda, note pad, cell phone gps.

I dont even own a pda. WHY ? I cant understand it's use. other than making money for the provider.

if your NOT doing work your NOT making money. all these gadgets are impressive. I seen a guy take 45 minutes to text someone send him the info. when a simple phone call would have taken 2 to 3 minutes.

belive it or NOT you too can read a map. the key map I purchased cost 25.00 and there is NO monthly fee.

mikey.hill please explane to me " a computer enginner of 12 yrs" how this will cut grass ?