PDA

View Full Version : New To The Biz!!!

bettern'goats
07-15-2002, 04:36 PM
After mowing for a few months we decided to drop the Jphn Deere lawn tractor and purchase a commercial mower. The problem is, we dont know how to bid commercial businesses. We don't know wether it's an hourly thing, or a cost per acre, or any of that. I like doing residentials, but would like to unload and mow for several hours rather than run all over creation. We are located in western Tennessee if that helps.

dr grass
07-15-2002, 06:42 PM
estimate how long your gonna be at the job. than multiply the time amount by 1$. you wanna get at least 60/hr to make good money. good luck!

Shep

:alien:

65hoss
07-15-2002, 07:43 PM
Check your email.

Nelson
07-15-2002, 09:17 PM
Originally posted by dr grass
estimate how long your gonna be at the job. than multiply the time amount by 1$. you wanna get at least 60/hr to make good money. good luck!

Shep

:alien:

I average $35.00 an Hour here in Florida Solo. That is pretty
good 4 me........

The $60.00/hr thing will make me have no accounts...Go with
what the going price is in your area.......My $ .03 cents :sleeping:

The Mowerdude
07-17-2002, 02:30 AM
You need a combination of both residential and commercials if you're new.

You need the commercials because you can "sell" on customer and make a good peice of change. However, if you get that really big one, you may end up concentrating all of your efforts taking care of it only to get underbid the following season. Then you've lost way too much. That's where the residentials come in. It's true, that you have to meet a lot more customers and "sell" a lot more for less return on each winning bid, but when you lose one, recovery is much, much easier.

Also, I've found, that for me, the residentials are much higher in profit for the amount of time spent, whereas the commercials are very hip to the idea of playing one company against another in a bidding war. It's very common for them to take the very lowest bidder and then constantly complain and fuss their way to a good job. Then the following season, they repeat the process and all of your efforts to build customer loyalty were wasted time.

Also, check some of the other threads on this BBS and see what kind of problems CVS has caused for some of our fellow lawncare professionals. If you don't get paid, you may not have the fortitude to stand up to corporate lawyers who's job is to save money for the company even if it means screwing the subcontracters. Caveat Emptor.

I say, if you can find commercial contracts that you feel good about and they seem to be strait up, go for it. Then fill in the rest of the time with as many residentials as you can handle comfortably.

But DO NOT put all your eggs in one basket.

bettern'goats
07-17-2002, 10:12 AM
I truly appreciate each comment. If ever I may help just call or e-mail.