PDA

View Full Version : Scag factory tour!

TheOctagon
06-02-2010, 12:31 AM
So i just wanted to throw it out there that i am going to Mayville WI tomorrow for a Scag factory tour. I am probably too freakin excited haha. I dunno what to expect but i know they build a lot of other cool stuff besides probably the toughest mower out there. Anyone else ever taken the tour?

bohiaa
06-02-2010, 12:36 AM
too busy.... they would have to pay me

TheOctagon
06-02-2010, 12:41 AM
haha i hear ya but i love stuff like this. Im only 6 hours away and it just rained like crazy today so its all good.

bohiaa
06-02-2010, 09:40 AM
haha i hear ya but i love stuff like this. Im only 6 hours away and it just rained like crazy today so its all good.

Good for you, if one was close to me and I had the time I too would be interested in this...

Hope it works out for ya.

go teach them a thing or two.... hehe

MOHUSTLER
06-02-2010, 09:49 AM
Do me a favor and get out your camera and bust into thier R&D department and take as many pictures as possible then run out the door really fast.

TheOctagon
06-03-2010, 01:09 AM
Do me a favor and get out your camera and bust into thier R&D department and take as many pictures as possible then run out the door really fast.

HAHA believe me i had every intention of doing so! Turns out before the tour even started we got name tags that turn from normal to a big VOID after 24 hours and NO cameras of any kind. Didnt even want camera phones really. I think this is due to the Military contracts they have.

It was more than i ever imagined though and the R&D department was the first place we went. Lots of projects goin on in there. They have their own basically machine shop where then can fab up whatever they want without messing with anything in production its pretty cool. Best part about the R&D room may have been the 4 Cheetah's in there though!!!!!!:weightlifter: I gotta tell ya we are all in for a treat when that machine comes out cuz WOW!!! I was satisfied stopping the tour right there but good god they crank out a lot of stuff in that place. I dont even know if i have enough time in the day to type everything i saw.
Caught wind of a 61" V-Ride in testing right now also but didnt get to see one of those.

Ill keep bringin up more and more as this thread progresses

TheOctagon
06-03-2010, 01:23 AM
They also Had two Cheetah's on Jigs. One was twisting the frame to see how much it could take and the other was working the suspension up and down repeatedly w/ 750 lbs of force! I got to talk to they brain behind the machine and the cool thing about him and the other engineering guys i met was that they all had shop clothes on. Not just desk jockeys they build and test and torture stuff themselves which i thought was really cool.

They have a room with HUGE electric motors that can run up to 4 machines at a time cycling the electric clutches under load and running the blades to test belts and clutches for i believe he said upwards of 400 hours. To see all of this really impressed me i mean i can see where these machines last the way they do. I can also see why they demand a premium price and this was all within the first 30 minutes.

JoeHop6299
06-03-2010, 01:45 AM
That's bad-ass, I love the Scags wish I could go.

MOHUSTLER
06-03-2010, 10:20 AM
Im excited to put some time on the cheeta. The thing I love about scag is how they test machines before they hit the market. They really are a top knotch company.

scagmanjosh
06-03-2010, 10:34 AM
Very cool, I'd like to see that as well. BTW, you get any info on when the Cheetah is coming out or why it seems to be taking so long? Didnt they have a prototype on display like last summer or something?

JB1
06-03-2010, 10:44 AM
it really is neat to do a factory tour and see all the things that go into it, I got to do a john deere factory tour in north carolina where the make the zero turns, was very impressive.

TheOctagon
06-03-2010, 01:25 PM
Very cool, I'd like to see that as well. BTW, you get any info on when the Cheetah is coming out or why it seems to be taking so long? Didnt they have a prototype on display like last summer or something?

They have been designing and testing this machine for almost 2 years now and from what i hear they are doing a test batch to get to territory reps to get interest peaked at dealers and then hopefully this coming spring we can be purchasing them.

JoeHop6299
06-07-2010, 04:27 AM
What is the Scag Cheetah, what's it look like?

MikeKle
06-07-2010, 09:11 AM
Yeah,. take some pictures and tell them you want to see the r & d department and see what they are coming out with soon! Maybe they will give you all some freebies too?! Probably just a Tshirt or sticker though. I would also ask them why they even make the chrome wheel covers for their mowers!!!!

Tall Rider
06-07-2010, 01:15 PM
What is the Scag Cheetah, what's it look like?

Look at this thread-
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=293783&highlight=scag+cheetah

Pics on Page 4. Looks to me like some competition for Exmark, Toro and Hustler in the form of a faster more nimble Scag, with better ride qualities than a TT. Hope it comes out soon, its been in the works for quite sometime now.

TheOctagon
06-07-2010, 01:42 PM
Look at this thread-
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=293783&highlight=scag+cheetah

Pics on Page 4. Looks to me like some competition for Exmark, Toro and Hustler in the form of a faster more nimble Scag, with better ride qualities than a TT. Hope it comes out soon, its been in the works for quite sometime now.

It sounded to me like we should be able to get them this winter/spring.