PDA

View Full Version : Oil leak on fc420v kawasaki in JD rider

leighj
06-02-2010, 05:14 AM
I have an oil leak on one of my mowers, the mower is a JD LX172 with a kawasaki FC420V 14hp engine, the mower runs fine, I checked the crankshaft seal and it is dry, pressure washed the engine area, started it up and looked for leaks, oil is coming from what appears to be the breather area on the bottom side, am taking the sheild off to look, any suggestions? Is this a problem with the FC420V?, I have 3 others with no problem. This is a vertical shaft engine.
Thanks,
Leighj

Richard Martin
06-02-2010, 05:37 AM
There's a crankcase breather tube that runs from the crankcase (duh) to the airfilter housing. Your engine may be having more bypass than the system can handle or the bypass assembly may be getting old and leaking.

leighj
06-02-2010, 05:59 AM
Is this repairable without pulling the engine?

1993lx172
06-02-2010, 12:48 PM
I have the same mower and the only time it has ever leaked oil is the two times when the oil pan seal went bad. I'd call your dealer and ask them.

Richard Martin
06-02-2010, 05:47 PM
Is this repairable without pulling the engine?

More than likely, no. Too much bypass pressure is a result of too much cylinder bypass. It's a fancy way of saying you may need rings. Do a compression test of all 4 of your engines. Take the numbers from the 3 good engines and average it out. Take the compression from the fourth engine and compare it to the average. If it's more than 15% lower you have a problem.

leighj
06-03-2010, 05:15 AM
Thanks guys, I ended up pulling the engine, it was the crankcase cover gasket, not a real hard job once you get going, I replaced the crank oil seal while it was apart. It's back together and running fine now. If anyone knows where I could get a shop manual for the FC420V please let me know. Thanks,
Leighj