PDA

View Full Version : 5-6" Aeration

csm_274
06-02-2010, 09:27 AM
Is there a piece of equipment, or tool, that aerates a lawn deeper than the standard 2-3 inch aerators? I've never seen one, but it seems like a great idea - especially for soil that's heavily compacted.

Has anyone seem an aerator, or hand tool, that performs this type of deep aeration?

Deltacare, LLC
06-02-2010, 12:51 PM
this company makes them

they are pretty expensive and most need a tractor. do have a ride on type on the website.

Deltacare, LLC
06-02-2010, 12:52 PM
link www.redeximturfproducts.com

lawn king
06-03-2010, 05:05 AM
The verti-drain machines are awesome, unfortunately they cost BIG BIG bucks!

AI Inc
06-03-2010, 05:08 AM
Sounds like an irrigation system destroyer.

RABBITMAN11
06-03-2010, 08:49 AM
Depending on soil moisture, the lawn solutions ride will go that deep. I know because I hit a irrigation system. If you want serious depth on plugs the ride on lawn solutions is your machine.

jnt412
06-03-2010, 12:03 PM
Why do you need to aerate to China?

karlgrooms
06-03-2010, 12:51 PM
How big of an area are you talking about??? I have used a spading fork on small areas. It works great and you can control your depth to about eight inches. The down side is it does not pull plugs and is labor intensive.

csm_274
06-03-2010, 01:49 PM
I have 3-4 areas about 10'x20' in size...along with a handful of smaller areas (i.e. 5'x5'). I have highly compacted soil that's virtually all clay (in some areas...next to no thatch/soil...even on the top). I want to go as deep as possible to loosen things up and to get topdressed soil/compost down in the soil - hoping nature can do it's thing and loosen things up further.

I've used my handheld aerator on these areas - unfortunately, they only go about 3" deep. I may try to create my own handheld aerator with small pipes and a welder and so on.

I had hope there was a handheld aerator like this already in existence. Perhaps I was wrong.

jnt412
06-07-2010, 02:43 PM
This reminds me of my yard. Three acres of clay and some stone. I aerated to about 3-4". It wasn't near 6" as you requested but I aerated like crazy in the fall. Once the lawn was established I aerated in the spring to almost crazy levels but not like before. Thru the months, the grass clippings will eventually decompose adding nutrients to the soil. Now when I aerate, the soil is softer and the plugs are darker.

csm_274
06-07-2010, 03:09 PM
Have you tried topdressing your lawn every so often? I'm considering this...perhaps 2-3 times a year to help speed up the soil amending process.

americanlawn
06-09-2010, 08:04 PM
Ditto - the Lawn Solutions "ride-on" aerator is the only one we know of that can go 4 - 5 inches deep. Walk-behinds = 3 inches max. More like 1 - 2 inches. Best plugs with a walk-behind = TURFCO. Ryans are a close 2nd. 3rd might be a Lawn Solutions walk-behind. BTW the Lawn Solutions walk-behind is excellent for seed jobs. IMO

Depending on soil moisture, the lawn solutions ride will go that deep. I know because I hit a irrigation system. If you want serious depth on plugs the ride on lawn solutions is your machine.

americanlawn
06-11-2010, 07:02 PM
NOTE: We only have one weight in the LS walk behind aerator, and I'm not sure we have it adjusted correctly. I'm guessing if we address to above two things, it would pull as deep of plugs as anything else.

Also, the LS aerator is the one my guys fight over. It's like mowing your lawn with a hydrostatic mower. Cool. Thank you David for the most innovative aerators on the market.