PDA

View Full Version : Fifth Wheel Trailers

Vibe Ray
07-15-2002, 08:25 PM
What's kickin', fried chicken?

How many here use fifth wheel trailers? Are they better for LCO's than the regular trailers? What are the advantages and are their any disadvantages? Are the trailers much more expensive? What is the scoop guys?

Got Grass?
07-15-2002, 08:49 PM
5th wheel meens Ya can tow more weight, but loose truck bed.
Meaning no hauling mulch, soil, grass, brush, no dump bed. Everything has to go on the trailer.
Unless your hauling some very large equip its not worth it.

Vibe Ray
07-16-2002, 09:14 PM
Any other comments?

TFL
07-16-2002, 11:40 PM
i have one. it is a dump trailer. they definatly haul more wieght and are easier to back. They are also easier to tow long distances to me for some reason. they are a little more expensive though.

Kent Lawns
07-16-2002, 11:51 PM
You can turn much tighter with a gooseneck or 5th wheel and back-up tighter without jack-knifing.

You can tow more weight, back them up easier.

They require a special hitch: (I think you meant gooseneck rather than 5th wheel, there IS a difference.)
They require more storage space.
They cost more $.

gorrell
07-17-2002, 12:26 AM
I've got a 26' landscape gooseneck trailer on which I haul all 4 of my Dixie Choppers. I pull it with a 3500 Chevy 4 x 4 dually and it handles it with ease. I had a 20' bumper hitch trailer before and the difference between the two is like night and day. The gooseneck distributes the weight to the truck so much better than the bumper hitch trailer ever thought about doing. My outfit weighs in at a shade over 18,000#, but you'd never no it when you're behind the wheel. I seriously doubt if I ever would go back to a bumper hitch trailer since I've been spoiled by this unit...........Lynn

Vibe Ray
07-17-2002, 12:33 AM
What is gooseneck guys? And what exactly is a fifth wheel? Because what I'm thinking of may actually be a gooseneck?

yardboyltd
07-17-2002, 02:10 AM
Fifth wheel and goosnect are two different types of hitches... RV's are fifth wheels usually. Fifth wheel is the same type of thing like a semi has, same concept, just in ur truck it's smaller

Goosnect is like what u see on horsetrailers for example.. and attach on a large ball