PDA

View Full Version : Law against rear discharge decks for zero turn mowers????

The_Duk
06-02-2010, 03:13 PM
i just tried to call and get a price on a rear discharge deck for my mower and i was told that they couldn't sell it here in the states because of a federal law...... i've never heard of anything like that... anyone else?? anyways, i can't get one...

Jimslawncareservice
06-02-2010, 04:08 PM
i think that dealer smokes something. post this in the hustler thread to see what pj says

1993lx172
06-02-2010, 04:08 PM
That's a new one. I know Deere's 997 ZTR has a rear discharge option, as do their front mowers. Most of the 3pt finish mowers for tractors are rear discharge. If anything they are safer than side discharge because there is less of a chance to throwing something at someone or something. There used to be one guy from Australia and another from England on here and they had said that because of safety issues that's all they used there.

topsites
06-02-2010, 06:10 PM
I'm guessing the law exists to keep people from hurting themselves or others.

integrityman
06-02-2010, 06:19 PM
Thats horshit. Grasshopper makes and sells one too.

mowguynky
06-02-2010, 07:35 PM
I could understand the no rear discharge on a regular push mower. I would think a rear discharge on any riding mower would be good. Afterall, I doubt anybody is standing where I just mowed.

Tinkerer
06-03-2010, 02:35 AM
I used one on my Toro 117 Groundsmaster. It did a great job of filling up the engine compartment with grass clippings. Plus the fins on the engine got clogged up. Now on a hot day when all those clippings are really dry,,, what could happen with a hot engine? Fire?

lotsagrass
06-03-2010, 07:14 AM
I used one on my Toro 117 Groundsmaster. It did a great job of filling up the engine compartment with grass clippings. Plus the fins on the engine got clogged up. Now on a hot day when all those clippings are really dry,,, what could happen with a hot engine? Fire?

That's exactly what came to mind as soon as I started visualizing a rear discharge rider that has an engine in the rear. My eXmark sucks up enough dry clippings and debris into the fan shroud as it is. I can't imagine what it would look like if clippings (especially dry grass and dry leaves) are thrown backwards instead of out to the side.

MOHUSTLER
06-03-2010, 08:48 AM
As far as rock throwing lyability. Rear discarge decks are 100% safer then side discharge decks. That makes so sense to me. As far as a fire hazard, the clipings are thrown under the engine. A rear discharge deck has half the grass buildup around the engine comaprtment that a side discharge has. I would call a few more dealrs and see if your dealer is missinformed.

MarcSmith
06-03-2010, 08:55 AM
As far as rock throwing lyability. Rear discarge decks are 100% safer then side discharge decks. ever watch a bush hog run with a rear discharge....

Tinkerer
06-04-2010, 12:22 AM
As far as rock throwing lyability. Rear discarge decks are 100% safer then side discharge decks. That makes so sense to me. As far as a fire hazard, the clipings are thrown under the engine. A rear discharge deck has half the grass buildup around the engine comaprtment that a side discharge has. I would call a few more dealrs and see if your dealer is missinformed.

Hopefully the Hustler mowers work better. But when I ran my Toro 117 Groundsmaster with a 48" rear discharge deck I would call it a near disaster. There was a TON of grass in and around the engine compartment. The rear discharge deck on the Toro 100 series (117, 118, 120) was only sold for a few years and then they changed it into a dedicated mulch deck and then dropped it completely. They got complaints of grass buildup just like I encountered and then came up with an underbelly apron to mount under the tractor. Those mowers work a lot better with the 44" or 52" side discharge decks on them.

cbkc
06-04-2010, 01:16 AM
I think the dealer is mistaken or wants you to buy one in-stock. I've heard of cities around here requiring rear-discharge for all of their parks or city properties. Ask PJ but I've never heard anything bad about the rear-discharge Hustlers.

westlawn
06-05-2010, 12:11 AM
I own a Hustler 72 rear discharge, love it, but it caught on fire with 400 hours on the meter. I was in tall dry grass when it happened, be careful when mowing with these types of mowers in those conditions. My son and I completely rebuilt it this past winter and have it back in our fleet with 100 hours on the new meter already. These mowers are very versatile, able to blow through tall rough grass and also cut manicured lawns with ease. They make clean up much faster due to not throwing grass on walks and streets. Also you can use both sides of the deck as the trim side. We also have a Dixie chopper side discharge and I believe it collects as much grass on it as the Hustler does. We make sure to clean all our mowers as much as possible since the fire.
Posted via Mobile Device

retrodog
06-05-2010, 12:19 AM
I saw some rear discharge mowers at the factory, but when I asked they said they are going to Australia and the UK because that was all they used there. I have seen youtube videos of rear discharge, but they are all over seas.