PDA

View Full Version : jungle jims new poduct..

gogetter
07-15-2002, 09:01 PM
Hmmm, can't wait to see what Jungle Jms new product is at Expo.
I hate when companies tease us with these things.......alright, I love it! :D

gogetter
07-19-2002, 07:09 PM
Wow, they said it was an innovative product, and they weren't kidding.
Since they make racks and things for trailers, I expected something along those lines. It's sure not.

You have to see this thing to fully understand what it is, but I'll try to explain it.
It's a ztr that you sorta kneel on and and do all your trimming
from. It also has a built in back pack blower holder that sits behind you and you use when you're done trimming.
All the while riding on this machine steering with your feet, zero turns and all!
Not something for everybody, but if you do big malls, apartment complexes, office parks, etc. where you have a guy walking all over tarnation with a trimmer all day and a guy on a blower all day, this could be just the tool for you.
No idea what the price was. Forgot to ask.

I'll get a picture of it tomorrow and try to post it here when I figure out how.
Pretty neat though.

Cutter1
07-19-2002, 09:22 PM
that will be intersting to see.

gogetter
07-20-2002, 01:39 AM
I forgot that I had picked up an information sheet when there, duh!
Just found it. The top of the brochure says Z.T.F.I.R.E. = Zero Turn Foot Initiated Riding Equipment.
The actual model is the ZTF 1000.

I'll still try to get those photos.

SLS
07-20-2002, 10:44 AM
Uh oh! What about us guys with "two left feet"? :eek:

Really, I can't wait to see that machine. :)

Evan528
07-22-2002, 01:09 AM
The cost of this machine was 3800 dollars I beleave they told me. My personal opinion was that this was the dumbest machine I have ever seen! It was halarious to watch these grown men fly around stooped forward and steerig with there feet. This is just my honest opinion.....I cant see them getting popular.

Alanky
07-22-2002, 01:14 AM
Here it is. I think I could do without :rolleyes: , but it still looks fun!

Darryl G
07-22-2002, 01:22 AM
My mother had something that looked just like that. She called it a wheel chair! The only difference was that she steered it with a chin-activated joy stick, zero turns and all. Guess I should'nt have donated it to charity when she died.

TFL
07-22-2002, 01:24 AM
I'm sorry but i see absolutly no use for that machine. I guess now Lawn care can truly be an equal oppurtunity employer.

Evan528
07-22-2002, 01:35 AM
lol Darryl!!!!!! I think it also looks like some kind of trnasportation for the handicapt!

Phishook
07-22-2002, 01:36 AM
???????What were they thinking??????????

I saw it at the show. Doubt I'll see one again.

Richard Martin
07-22-2002, 05:28 AM
Well, I guess they figured that they could sell a ZTR with no mower deck when they saw that people were buying mower decks with no engine.

Hawkeye5
07-22-2002, 09:09 AM
It may not have wide application, but I can tell you, I wish I'd had one when trimming headstones at the National Cemetery. We would walk 5 miles a day trimming up to 900 stones per day/person. This unit would allow one to up the productivity by at least 1/3 in my opinion. JD

Jimbo
07-22-2002, 09:34 AM
Is this what it has come too? Have we gotten this lazy?

What a joke.... At least he is using a Stihl timmer though.

crazygator
07-22-2002, 10:08 AM
I cant see many of these ever selling. If your guys are that lazy this wont help. 4 grand more out of pocket plus all the gas for them to joy ride all around? NOT! And I still cant see your production going up too much. You can only go so fast when trimming or edging before you start skipping all over the place. It is neat to see, but I still wonder about getting anything done with it!

Why not just add the Peco or 4M trimmer attachment to your ZTR deck. They are only 400-600 not 4000 and your ZTR have a mower deck. Just a thought!

Kent Lawns
07-22-2002, 10:13 AM
I saw it.

I was disappointed they wouldn't let anyone run it.

I think it's use on large properties would be awesome.

crawdad
07-22-2002, 11:09 AM
It's got no mower deck? It's just for riding around? What a waste. I can see why they didn't let anyone try them out, looks like it would be uncomfortable after 5 minutes or so. My tired old knees wouldn't last long.
I guess that for certain jobs, with literally miles of trimming, it might be OK.
Crawdad

Jimbo
07-22-2002, 03:43 PM
How about I start selling a custom mechanics back dolly with a 5 HP engine mounted on it. You could use it to trim the underside of your shrubs. You guys could be my first customers.

I think I could sell it for about $2500.00 or so. What do you think?
I'll see you at the next EXPO. :)

Jim

junglejims
07-22-2002, 05:36 PM
For years, lawn care professionals have been asking for some sort of vehicle that will allow them the ability to ride while they trim. As odd as it may seem by apperarance, it is designed to give the operator comfort, as well as good stance to hold the trimmer in an effective manner.

Jungle Jim's apologizes that most attendies were not allowed to test ride the vehicles at the show. We would however, like to invite all who will be at the GIE show to please stop by; demo rides will be available.

The unit is best suited for larger commercial accounts, where there is literally miles of curbs or fence lines to trim. While you can only go so fast when you trim, even a 25% increase can add up in just one season.

Jungle Jim's respects any input, good or bad, on this product and hopes that all will take one for test ride. We think you might be surprised. Our website will be updated tomorrow with new pictures and product information - we hope you check it out!

gogetter
07-22-2002, 06:48 PM
I absolutely see a niche for it. No, of course it's not for the guys doing small residential, maybe not even large residential, but I could definately see the guys that do the mall near me using it. It's a big mall! Lotsa walking between grass areas.

Big office parks, large apartment complexes, etc.

I don't get why guys would knock it just because it doesn't fit thier needs.

It has nothing to do with being lazy, it's about being more productive. Sheesh, think outside the box guys.

Remember when people used a manual post hole digger, that thing with wooden handles to dig a hole? Then someone stuck an engine on an auger and could dig a hole in a fraction of the time/effort.

I don't dig enough holes to warrent buying one, I still go wtih a manual post hole digger (although mine have the fiberglass handles lol!), but I'll bet there are companies that couldn't live without thier gas powered units.

EHesseyLawns
07-22-2002, 07:07 PM
um...i dont know about anyone else but if i owned this product, i think i would be embarrassed..im very disappointed in jungle jims...im a huge fan of jungle wheels but this new "inovation" is making us all look like lazy sacks of ****...sumone please reassure me that they are NOT on the market...

just my two cents worth

gogetter
07-22-2002, 08:08 PM
How in the world does this make us lazy?? By that line of thinking, I guess a riding mower makes us lazy then?

And a blower makes us lazy, because we could use a broom.
An extended hedge trimmer makes us lazy because we could use a ladder.

GUYS! This ISN'T a machine for us with 5k or 10k sq.ft. lawns! This was most likely desgined for the companies that do properties that range from a few acres to dozens of acres and up.

Ssouth
07-22-2002, 08:33 PM
I'm with gogetter, you guys are being hasty in your reviews since none of you have tried it. I had a contract last year that had 5-6 miles of trimming. I would have loved a product like that. Imagine one guy trimming all day at one location. If I could have cut his time by 25% I would have jumped on a proven product like this. I know this product isn't proven yet and haven't seen it. This contraption could evolve into a product in the future that we feel we couldn't live without. So, don't knock it until you try it.

bridges
07-22-2002, 10:22 PM
How about peco trimmer You bolt it to the side of your ztr and you can trim as you mow.

What kind of job can you do with that. It might be better if you can add a spreader, leaf blower, etc. But then I still would not buy.

tony

Darryl G
07-22-2002, 10:41 PM
I'm sorry, but 5 or 6 miles of walking in a day is nothing. I can walk several times that distance in a day with a 50 pound pack in the mountains. Using a walk behind mower and walking with a trimmer is how you stay in shape for those jobs that require strength and stamina. I think Americans are getting lazy and soft. You guys are always talking about ramp assists, impact wrenches, power grinders etc. I don't need any of that stuff. I'll lift my gate, use hand tools to change my blades, and a file to sharpen them, probably until I die. Maybe I'm just a stubborn Yankee, or not in that much of a hurry to get things done, or maybe it's because I'm a pretty big guy (6'2 and 195lbs) and a strong laborer, but I just have no need for any of that stuff.

Can you guys honestly tell me that if you say someone on one of those things, you're first thought wouldn't be how great it is that the LCO hires the handicapped? Just my opinion.

EHesseyLawns
07-23-2002, 01:12 AM
you're just trimming! it's not like you're walking miles upon miles with a trimmer...no i dont think owning a rider is lazy b.c it causes more efficiency and better stripes....to ride while trimming is just excessive...last summer, i trimmed all day 4 days a week and never ONCE did i wish i cud be riding and im as lazy as they come...i think the product is just not that practical thats all...if anyone on my crew ever asked for one, id die laughing...i agree with darryl

gogetter
07-23-2002, 01:41 AM
Keep in mind this isn't JUST for trimming. It holds a backpack blower behind you on a rack.
This isn't just to save you from walking, it's to make you faster. That means more productive.
If on a large commercial property (say an office park) it takes a guy 8 hours of trimming and blowing, and this machine cuts his time down to 7 hours. At $35 an hour this equates to $175 a week savings. This means in a region where your mowing season is 30 weeks, you could stand to save $5,250.
That's the first year. Each year after is profit (of course factor in gas, maintenance, etc), but still sounds like it makes sense for the right situation.

I would bet that in the right situation, this thing could reduce the time even more then stated above. Resulting in even more savings.

And Bridges brought up something. Once Jungle Jim or some other manufacturer starts making add ons for this thing such as spreaders, leaf blowers, etc. it makes you even more productive.

I don't know why some are having such a hard time seeing past the whole "lazy" aspect and seeing it as being more productive for the RIGHT situation.

Darryl G
07-23-2002, 02:07 AM
Gogetter - In the situation you gave, you would not be saving $175 per week. You would only be saving your cost for 5 MHs labor. Add in the time it takes to load, unload, fuel, and maintain the unit, as well as the time it takes to explain to eveyone who sees you what in the world you're doing, and I doubt it would be worth it. Maybe if you could mount a Flex Deck on it.....

SLS
07-23-2002, 02:09 AM
I love my Jungle Wheels and Jungle Jack. The trap/rack is coming soon.

I suppose I would have to really give this new gizmo a whirl before commenting..although I have no need for it (all residentials).

One thing though...I'm 42 and the 'ol knees are not what they used to be. Playing ball, riding dirt bikes, and chasin' the gals has taken it's toll. If I kneel on the ground or floor for more than 10 minutes they are not happy. :(

The more I look at the position of the guy in the picture of the rider on the 1st page...the more my knees plead for me to banish the thought. Although I can walk for miles on end, more than 20 minutes on that thing and I would need someone on the payroll just to pull me up off of it. :cry: Maybe I'll just strap on some rollerskates to do my trimming edging...:D

I do see the merit in it for long stretches of curbing, fencerows, ect. :)

What's the operating speed of that little machine???

marley
07-23-2002, 02:17 AM
that can not be comfortable. looks stupid. does not even have a mower deck? no way, never.

gogetter
07-23-2002, 02:32 AM
Darryl, you're absolutely correct!! This is one reason I should not be on the computer this late!! Thanks for pointing that out.

So the new math is more in the $1500 a year range if paying the employee $10hr in my scenario.

But as I stated, I believe one could shave more then an hour off an 8 hour day of trimming and blowing. So, it's tough to say where the numbers would really fall.

Jungle Jim's flyer claims 25 to 35% time savings. I think that could be possible in the right situation. If so, this would change my scenario to about $3000 or so savings a year.

SLS, not sure of the actual speed, but the guys were zipping around pretty good at the show. I would say faster then the average walking speed for sure.

And if you're doing a mall parking lot with dozens of small islands in several parking lots, this thing will get you from one to another alot faster then walking.

Alanky
07-23-2002, 02:52 AM
I could see where it would be useful, but I'll stick to walking. My luck I would hit a bump or something and get a face-plant into the ground:D

another shot of it:

Jimbo
07-23-2002, 12:55 PM
Good Luck to Jungle Jims.

I am interested in some of their other products, but I just don't think this one is going to take off (even on large accounts). Just my opinon.
Maybe their expectations are not that high...who knows? Maybe they just wanted some feedback before they made Capital investments, and set-up production?
Anyway, I guess the feedback from LS will go along way.

Even if the workers like the idea you better sell the idea to the man who pays the bills. "ME"

Jim

Jimbo
07-23-2002, 01:04 PM
What if you put two guys on a four-wheeler? One can drive and one can sit on the racks and trim. Plus you can mount an extra trimmer/ gas lunch etc. so both guys could trim rough or hilly areas. A four-wheeler goes about 40MPH right? Plus you could get 4-wheel drive so you dont get stuck.

Sure your paying two guys instead of one but they will probably be 3 times faster because you should easily be able to get from one area to another quciker, and the guys can jump off for difficult to reach areas or steep banks.

After seeing the picture I can just see myself going down a hill and losing control. Splat, bang, conk, ouch!!!! What do I see now..... my spine bent backwards and the machine laying on to of me with the exhaust burning my legs.

bubble boy
07-23-2002, 01:49 PM
now obviously cost would be a factor, but i'd use this.

i would ensure i used it safely, why would i go down a hill where it can roll over onto me?

i dont care if i look like an idiot or silly or handicapped.

for me, i'm young, knees present no prob., although in the pic it looks like that guy is kind of sitting. may not be an issue.

also, i'm pretty lazy. so what if i CAN walk? i'm 27, in shape, but that doesn't mean i want to walk cause i can. i can jump up and down 300 times, but i won't. i'd definately prefer to ride (as all you ZTR users often say). and by the way, no way am i filing 10 blades a day MANUALLY!!! 1930's methods belong in 1930.

and even if i wasn't more productive, still makes life easier. you could fert and spray with it, perhaps a modified one could be a small utility cart. a small snowplow, who knows.

P&J Lawncare
07-23-2002, 02:25 PM
I saw this at the show and it does have it's benefits but at $3800 dollars you should be able to mow with it also, put a 36 inch deck on it and I would buy it.

Jimbo
07-23-2002, 03:22 PM
Bubble boy says,
i would ensure i used it safely, why would i go down a hill where it can roll over onto me?

You tell me your going to spend that kind of money knowing that you cant go down a hill? You must mow in kansas, because where I am from we have to mow and trim on hilly terrain as well as flat. If the only use for this is flat ground then good luck in justifying the price. They might sell a handful.

Did anyone see it on a slope? Your center of gravity is so high that it must be scary even on a slight off camber. But don't listen to me; I hope you buy 6 of them Bubble Boy!

Jim

Darryl G
07-23-2002, 04:29 PM
I've probably said enough on this topic already, but I just had a thought. Is there some sort of support for the trimmer to rest it on while trimming? I mean, I get more tired from holding a trimmer than from walking with it. My legs are fine, but my shoulders and arms get tired sometimes. Maybe they could have a swivel mount for a trimmer, or even a built in trimmer that's controlled with a control wand of some sort, or maybe like a spotlight control on police vehicles. Add edger, broom, and cultivator attachments and then maybe I'll buy one.

junglejims
07-23-2002, 07:07 PM
Hey, thanks for the input!

Yes we are working on a device that will support a trimmer. It will be on display at the GIE show in Nashville. We are also working with serveral compaines in regards to various attchments for the ZTF.

Jungle Jim's

Jimbo
07-23-2002, 11:47 PM
Good Point Darryl,

I was going to mention the tiring of the arms as well, but I thought I had said too much myself.

Even though I am not a proponent of the device I am glad to see Jungle Jims offering more information about their products on LS. It is good to see that MFG's are watching this site.

m&m
07-25-2002, 01:27 AM
maybe i dont need to say nuttin , but i know i cant use it for my size lawns........however , it is the thought that counts............. you never know what you may be able to do with this thing........looks pretty nifty......would love to have one for going to mailbox and such or just zip around from here to neighbors house......make a neat lil toy..........if i ever get a money tree to grow in the backyard, i would buy one just to have it

yardboyltd
07-25-2002, 02:42 AM
i live in kansas, and yea i wish there were no hills...

gogetter
07-25-2002, 02:56 AM
m&m, just for the record, thier brochure does make mention of this machine "going beyond the lawn industry". Sounds like they may be marketing it in others fields.
Interesting.

Guardian
07-26-2002, 08:25 PM
THANK YOU Jungle Jims for continuing to think of ways to make our jobs easier!

Though I mostly use ZTRs now, I still have a WB equipped with Jungle Wheels. I use my Jungle Jack almost every day. -and I love my trimmer racks.

The new device is inovative. My business isn't large enough for one, but when the time comes, I'd be glad to try it out.

Good luck with it.

Runner
07-26-2002, 09:16 PM
It seems for the cost, you could get one of those "Its" and it would be more useful for the application. I read that in the near future, they will have versions with fold down telescopic handles, a seat available, ability to go sideways, and may even perhaps have their own charging system. ;)

kris
07-28-2002, 10:35 AM
Got one property 8 city blocks long that I would love to try it on .

1grnlwn
07-28-2002, 11:59 AM
1. Hard to train a guy to trim right when he is doing something he learned at birth(walking).
2. How fast can you actually trim when there is substantial growth? I find when I walk really fast I miss some grass.
3. Probably great on sidewalks, turf is bumpy would cut be?
4. The workmanship on the unit was top knotch, somebody spent a lot of time and it showed.
5. Can't get past the Face Plant factor it seams high.
6. Can you trim in front and blow from back?
7. I laughed too but we do have to give them credit for trying. This is one that you will definitely have to demo before ever buying.

Mark

op4_camper
06-07-2005, 06:34 AM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=50377&item=4387306319&rd=1

Found one on ebay... lol I dont know what else could be said about it.