PDA

View Full Version : Where is the best place to mount trimmer rack

brodo374
06-02-2010, 08:04 PM
I have one on the way. Not sure if I will mount it on the front end of the trailer or on the side. Does it even matter? Is one better than theother?

rcslawncare
06-02-2010, 08:53 PM
I don't like the front of the trailer, the tongue is in the way. Most install on the pass. side of there truck so its off the street for safety. I like mine (when I had them), on my drivers side. But thats just me!!

yardguy28
06-02-2010, 09:13 PM
i say mount it where you want to mount it.......

it really doesn't matter where you mount it. i prefer the passenger side even though i have an enclosed trailer.

when i had an open trailer i mounted it on the passenger side for safety. the front has the tongue that gets in the way.

mowerbrad
06-02-2010, 09:16 PM
Having the racks mounted to the front of the trailer allow the trimmers to be accessable to both sides of the trailer, but like Ryan said, the trailer tongue is always in the way, so you have to work around that.

Having the racks mounted on the passenger side of the trailer is the typical method used. Since most people park on the proper side of the street (right side), the racks are always accessable on the side away from the street. But if you have to park on the wrong side of the road, then you will need to go to the street side to retrieve the trimmers, thus making it a little more dangerous (should a car hit you).

Having the racks mounted on the driver side isn't too common. I remember someone posted about this in another thread and actually had a pretty good reason as to why they had them mounted in this location, however, I don't remember his reasoning.

Most of this is personal preference.

SouthSide Cutter
06-02-2010, 09:52 PM
I have had them on the front and on the side. On the front the tongue is in the way but it harder for someone to steal them also. On the side they are in the way of booming down your mowers and getting on and off the trailer. Iam going back to the side so I can put a large tool box on the front.

chuckhopkins76
06-02-2010, 10:50 PM
I had mine on the side then I moved the to the front. I like this alot better.

topsites
06-02-2010, 10:52 PM
Anywhere on my trailer is good, thanks !

Chilehead
06-02-2010, 10:53 PM
The side closest to the curb (passenger side) is what Iprefer for trimmers and stick edgers. My blower goes on the driver's side. Anything else goes in the trailer cage.

Hell on Blades
06-02-2010, 11:09 PM
Mount them above the tailgate... LOL --:hammerhead:

MileHigh
06-02-2010, 11:44 PM
passenger side of the trailer.

ncls
06-03-2010, 12:07 AM
If you have an emplyee, mount it on the passenger side. If you are solo, put it in the bed of the truck. You can put it on a rack, for the first and last customers, but if you are solo, do you really want to put it in a trimmer rack, lock it in, drive to the job, cut, then unlock it, trim, then lock it back in????

By the end of the day, you could mow two more customers, not dealing with that crap.

yardguy28
06-03-2010, 07:27 AM
If you have an emplyee, mount it on the passenger side. If you are solo, put it in the bed of the truck. You can put it on a rack, for the first and last customers, but if you are solo, do you really want to put it in a trimmer rack, lock it in, drive to the job, cut, then unlock it, trim, then lock it back in????

By the end of the day, you could mow two more customers, not dealing with that crap.

don't know what kind of racks your thinking of but they don't take up that much time to put them in the rack and take them out.

plus some of use the bed of the truck for grass.

i don't keep anything in the bed of my truck except my grass catcher and the half 55 gallon drum i have to dump the clipping in when i'm in the back yards. everything else is kept in the trailer on racks.

Chilehead
06-03-2010, 10:04 AM

What's really a waste of time (and money) is having your trimmer stolen from not locking it in a rack. The added time is about 10 seconds per stop.

Pjslawncare
09-16-2010, 02:33 PM
I mounted mine on the drivers side however after thinking about it, it would be better on the passenger side after a moron that was working with me forgot to clamp it down and it fell off the trailer at 40mph and was ran over by a trailblazer ( $330 Shindaiwa)

zak406
09-16-2010, 03:37 PM
MIne are on the driver side of my vehicle my reasoning is that way there never getting thrashed through weeds or branches on the side othe road

Kennedy Landscaping
09-16-2010, 04:03 PM
I used to have mine on the passenger side of the trailer in front of the fender on my old trailer. When I got my new trailer I did it the same way, then I added the box for my grass and leaves so I moved it back behind the fender and it works pretty good there. So, I prefer them on the passenger side, if I need to load branches or something I just park the wrong way on the street so the open side of the trailer is to the curb.

STL Cuts
09-16-2010, 05:17 PM
My Extreme Racks are on the drivers side.

kilgoja
09-16-2010, 06:05 PM
i just put them in the bed of the truck along with the blowers as well and anything else like trimmer line, gas, tools, etc.....only thing on the trailer is my ztr and push mower

slawn
09-16-2010, 07:39 PM
Just get two sets and put one on each side. I have my primary trimmer and edger on the passenger side, my backups on drivers side.

DFLS
09-16-2010, 09:18 PM
When I had an open trailer the rack was on the passenger side, but now I have an enclosed trailer and they are ......

On the ceiling!!

http://img69.imageshack.us/img69/4163/img1650e.jpg

http://img410.imageshack.us/img410/1052/img1649at.jpg

calvinslawnservices
09-16-2010, 09:35 PM
I would mount mine on the pasenger side because my fuel door to the truck is on the driver side. I try to use one pump when I fill up. It would be in the way on the driver side.
Posted via Mobile Device

RGM
11-25-2010, 04:32 PM

I have to agree with that I work a lot by myself and its a pain in the butt i toss them in the pack of the truck when I'm in good areas and lock them when not. I put my racks on passenger side.

StihlBR600
11-25-2010, 09:52 PM
Front is better for single axle trailers because there isnt any bounce

JayD
11-26-2010, 12:44 AM
On my first trailer, I put it on the drivers side mainly because I did not know any better, but thought I could see them better from my drivers side mirror better. On my second trailer, I got the extream and put it on the front. I like having tool boxes on my trailer and on the new one, the tongue was made longer but the jack was also installed farther back allowing the tailgate to come all the way down. I could not put my tool box there because of space so I put the rack there and we like there. I put the tool box, water cooler, and the trimmer line holder on the right side. I will have to take some new pix to show. With the extream rack on the front, we can get the trimmers off from either side of the tongue with no problem. Another good reason for putting it on the front is now you have your sides open if you need to get a load of mulch, dirt or something.

The front of the trailer is wasted space unless you have a tool box, cage or something on it. So the trimmer rack to me works out great there.

One more important thing to remember is if you have mowers that are pull start, you would want the side that you pull on to be open....I have a 36" W/B that pulls from the left side so I need that side open.

gasracer
11-26-2010, 10:42 AM
I mounted the ones on my first trailer on the Drivers side before I knew how risky it was getting things off with cars zooming by.
I mounted the ones on my second trailer on the passenger side with a landscape cage on the front. My blowers(2) are also mounted on the passenger side to the fame of the cage. It leaves me a areas to get into the trailer and the drivers side all open to load mulch.There is a single rack mounted on the front under the cage for my long hedge trimmers.My water cooler is mounted to the cage on the drivers side.Running solo or with a helper I have everything I need within reach.
Now if I can just find a spot to mount my hand tools.

Exmarkboy13
01-31-2014, 07:55 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

Richard Martin
02-01-2014, 10:23 AM
On the side they are in the way of booming down your mowers and getting on and off the trailer.

What is booming?

TuffTurfLawnCare
02-01-2014, 04:07 PM
Mine are on the driver side. I always park across the street from my clients house, against the flow of traffic, on low to no traffic residential streets. This way its easier to get the clippings off of the pavement since my truck/trailer are not in the way, and the racks are away from traffic. Alot ofnthe roads are narrow with overgrown weeds/brush, it prevents them from being grabbed by the plant life. I can see them plain as day in the mirror, can see if they are there, latched and locked.

If im using the trailer to haul mulch, I pull up the clients house, with the flow of traffic, and can offload from the side without racks in the way, and since mulch jobs take longer, I can stay parked on the street for long period of time without worry of cop bothering me about being against the flow of traffic.