PDA

View Full Version : Worker's Comp for Solo?

BINKY1902
06-02-2010, 09:27 PM
Had a bid come through and it requires worker's comp and general liability. Have the liability but since I'm solo I have no worker's comp. Anybody deal with this? I may have to have a certificate of non-coverage they said. I'm in Arkansas, and by law you don't have to carry it unless you have two employees. Anybody carry it on just yourself? Checked on price for individual comp and it's $$$$$.

fl-landscapes
06-02-2010, 10:01 PM
If your state does not require you to carry it for the scope of work you do then get an exemption letter from the state, that should satisfy the customer.

BINKY1902
06-02-2010, 10:29 PM
Thanks, yeah I think I'm gonna have to pay $50 for the certificate. Funny that you have to pay for something to say that you are obeying the law.

fl-landscapes
06-03-2010, 08:51 AM
Thanks, yeah I think I'm gonna have to pay $50 for the certificate. Funny that you have to pay for something to say that you are obeying the law.

They wouldnt have it any other way

MarcSmith
06-03-2010, 08:57 AM
I had the same thing when I I was solo in Florida, I showed the business proof of exemption, but I also showed them that I proof of heath insurance for myself...they were happy

lilweeds
06-04-2010, 12:07 AM
Even the letter from the state isn't working anymore. It's not the customer, but their insurance companies that are screwing the rest of us. Wish I could figure out a way to battle it.