PDA

View Full Version : Mowing in the rain?

exmarkguy123
06-02-2010, 08:53 PM
I have had to delay mowing several times due to rain. I was curious what some of your best mowing in the rain techniques are.:dizzy:

SouthSide Cutter
06-02-2010, 08:54 PM
Scag Velocity!!!!!!!!!

93Chevy
06-02-2010, 08:58 PM
Put the bag on, empty every pass or two passes to be sure the bag doesn't fill up or it will release wet clumps, and don't turn the blades off over concrete or you'll have a mess to clean up that won't come clean short of a pressure washer.

Go slow, be careful, and I sure swear a lot because it sucks.

mowerbrad
06-02-2010, 09:41 PM
Mowing in the rain???....are you kidding, my mower doesn't even know what rain is :)

topsites
06-02-2010, 10:01 PM
The best technique I have found to mowing in the rain is sit at home.

Hell on Blades
06-02-2010, 10:04 PM
I'll find out tomorrow. 4 straight days predicted.

dgw
06-02-2010, 10:07 PM
wear a poncho and double cut

MileHigh
06-02-2010, 10:09 PM
wear a poncho, double cut, and make sure you have the biggest backpack blower they make.

KrayzKajun
06-02-2010, 10:11 PM
thts why i bought my 32" w/b for when its wet and raining

dgw
06-02-2010, 10:14 PM
wear a poncho, double cut, and make sure you have the biggest backpack blower they make.

ha ha , yep better have an ebz8001

if im not sinkin im mowin

grassman177
06-02-2010, 10:54 PM
i have had to a few days this year, but dont make it normal practice to mow in the rain. we just mow very slow and let the deck discharge everything easily or it will clump quick, but some clumping is allowed if mowing in the rain imo, as it is only out of necessity to do so anyways

ncls
06-02-2010, 11:02 PM
Mow it, shoot it, and bring out the biggest backpack and spread it out.

GrassIsGreenerLawnCare
06-02-2010, 11:11 PM
ha ha , yep better have an ebz8001

if im not sinkin im mowin

nope better have a br600 magnum

rcslawncare
06-02-2010, 11:17 PM
If you had a 7 Iron, there would be no need for the blower. It spreads clippings so nice when wet, including in the rain. I by no means mow in a downpour though, she's a little too heavy for that.

freshprince94
06-02-2010, 11:18 PM
I agree with what others are saying, mow slower than usual, and have one of the bigger backpack blowers. It's really not that bad to rain mow other than ruts and increased cleanup time. Personally, I mow in moderate rain but if it's absolutely drenching rain then I won't start any new lawns. Everyone around here does it because in Florida during the summer it rains almost daily and we can't work around it, we just deal with it. If it's really that bad I'll wait about an hour and go back out to work.

Glenn Lawn Care
06-02-2010, 11:37 PM
i dont like to mow in the rain, but if im out cutting and it starts i will finish that house and if it continues i will hang it up. but go slow and take your time turning around so you dont tear up the grass and leave those little donuts in the grass from the tires.

JohnBanks
06-02-2010, 11:39 PM
Mow as fast as possible to escape the rain before it arrives

tacoma200
06-03-2010, 12:01 AM
I watch the radar but often I've mowed with a rain coat. I may go back over it 1/2" higher if it is messy but I get a lot done while others are staying at home. The Scag Velocity or John Deere 7 Irons seem to do very well. My Exmarks???Not so well but you can still do a lot with them if you don't mind scraping the deck.

Of course if it is set in for the day I may hold off mowing but it only takes a little while to dry enough to cut again. Usually when the road starts to dry I can go again.

dgw
06-03-2010, 12:42 AM
nope better have a br600 magnum

nope better have a 21cc homelite

amd walkers cut houses fune in the rain

only miss very few rain days
will sit downpours out in the truck

kludgemonkey
06-03-2010, 01:03 AM
Blowing wet grass clippings off of wet concrete is the worst job imaginable. I can't stand it. I only mow in the rain when it catches me in the middle of a job. Otherwise, I wait till the roads and concrete start to dry out. Sometimes you have to get a water hose out to clean up. :-(

Wackin Bush
06-03-2010, 04:16 AM
Stay Dry! Have good Rain gear and water proof boots. Not sure what type of mowers you guys are using... but Honda Commercial mowers mow just fine in the rain and not much of a time difference either. Even back when we used Toro reels we could still mow in the rain. It did take a little longer but how can you keep a schedule if you don't mow in the rain? In the North West it rains all the time in the Spring and Fall.

W.B.

Richard Martin
06-03-2010, 05:31 AM
Of course if it is set in for the day I may hold off mowing but it only takes a little while to dry enough to cut again. Usually when the road starts to dry I can go again.

This is my policy as well...

I use reduced RPM in wet conditions. It reduces the deck buildup.

Richard Martin
06-03-2010, 05:34 AM
Not sure what type of mowers you guys are using... but Honda Commercial mowers mow just fine in the rain and not much of a time difference either.

Not everybody can mow postage stamps. :)

When you have to mow many acres in a day a Honda mower just won't cut it.

kludgemonkey
06-03-2010, 07:01 PM
Blowing wet grass clippings off of wet concrete is the worst job imaginable. I can't stand it. I only mow in the rain when it catches me in the middle of a job. Otherwise, I wait till the roads and concrete start to dry out. Sometimes you have to get a water hose out to clean up. :-(

Jinxed myself today by replying to this thread. :-( I hate mowing in the rain, but sometimes it has to be done.

exmarkguy123
06-03-2010, 08:16 PM
Alright, thanks everyone! That helps a lot!

GreenmanCT
06-03-2010, 08:40 PM
i atleast mow the crappy lawns that arent too thick.

yardatwork
06-03-2010, 08:52 PM
Put on the banana suits and try bagging...and like mentioned above...try not to turn off the blades unless you are in a field, the woods, or some place other than the yard or drive or sidewalk. Your hands will make people think that you're "hulking out" cause they will be green from unclogging. But a wet cut is better than skipping a week or two imo than having grass getting unmanageable and too tall to bag.

cannondale23
06-03-2010, 11:14 PM
scag velocity is right, I actually like the cut left by the mower, while the grass is wet or being rained on

freshprince94
06-04-2010, 12:52 AM
Yeah we had a torrential downpour today so I had to call it quits at about 230 ish...when we have a torrential downpour I dont mow obviously and I sometimes stop for the day so I dont rut up lawns.

N.TX
06-04-2010, 01:42 AM
As long as its not a residential then we mow until it starts lightning if we are busy.

MikeKle
06-04-2010, 08:19 AM
Even if you are able to find a deck that can handle mowing in the rain, most customers would not want their grass mowed wet. Some would probably fire you if you showed up to mow in the rain. Although Ive seen some guys doing it around here, and even more interesting, they had the discharge chutes blocked off? They were using turf tracers, I know my TT would clog almost instantly if I tried that, but theirs was doing fine and not leaving any clumps. They must know something I dont??

playersc
06-04-2010, 08:40 AM
I have 16 hours on a Husqvarna PZ and I will bet that only 10 of those hours are on dry grass. I have to cut 3 acres tomorrow so their is a good chance it will rain.

Richard Martin
06-04-2010, 08:41 AM
Although Ive seen some guys doing it around here, and even more interesting, they had the discharge chutes blocked off? They were using turf tracers, I know my TT would clog almost instantly if I tried that, but theirs was doing fine and not leaving any clumps. They must know something I dont??

It has a lot to do with the height they were cutting at. If you just skimming along the top then yes, you can probably mulch wet grass. It's when you start really cutting the grass when problems start with clumping.

DA Quality Lawn & YS
06-04-2010, 10:28 AM
I will mow in sprinkles and on some wet grass, but never in a steady rain. I have some lawns with slopes and I am scared pooless of sliding down the hill.

Also, good idea to keep your half ton + Z's at home if you are going to be mowing in the rain. No one wants ruts in their lawn that last the whole season.

Finally, I know a lot of resi's would not be so fond of me cutting their lawn in the rain. Their thinking "boy, he just wants to get on my lawn and make money off of me even if it is pouring and the job tears up my lawn and leaves clumps."

jasonnau
06-05-2010, 10:47 PM
i dont like to mow in the rain, but if im out cutting and it starts i will finish that house and if it continues i will hang it up. but go slow and take your time turning around so you dont tear up the grass and leave those little donuts in the grass from the tires.

We call them turn and burns!

yardguy28
06-05-2010, 11:42 PM
Mowing in the rain???....are you kidding, my mower doesn't even know what rain is :)

The best technique I have found to mowing in the rain is sit at home.

what they said :clapping:

unless i've already mowed a row or 2 i do not work in the rain. i trim before i mow so if it starts raining before the mower's off the trailer and around the perimeter once i stop. or if i wake up in the morning and it's raining i go back to bed for a while then see what the rest of the day is gonna do and plan accordingly.

working in the rain is the stupidest thing i've heard of. i read a post that suggest going slow, using bagger and emptying it every row or 2, etc. that is just a waste of time......:hammerhead:

93Chevy
06-06-2010, 07:42 AM
what they said :clapping:

unless i've already mowed a row or 2 i do not work in the rain. i trim before i mow so if it starts raining before the mower's off the trailer and around the perimeter once i stop. or if i wake up in the morning and it's raining i go back to bed for a while then see what the rest of the day is gonna do and plan accordingly.

working in the rain is the stupidest thing i've heard of. i read a post that suggest going slow, using bagger and emptying it every row or 2, etc. that is just a waste of time......:hammerhead:

When you're backed up because of other rain days, or equipment breakdowns, etc, sometimes you have to work in the rain.

A little water never hurt anybody. :laugh:

MikeKle
06-06-2010, 09:30 AM
Most customers do not want us mowing when it is wet or raining, It is not all about if we personally like it or can handle it, it is all about them. Even commercials dont want us to do this. I always say, once the pavement is dry, it is dry enough to mow, it has worked for me.

nepatsfan
06-06-2010, 09:40 AM
You know what the common denominator is for the guys who are saying not to mow in the rain. All solo guys. If we were doing 20 accounts a week, we wouldn't mow in the rain either. Some people HAVE to. When it rains for 4 straight days we dont have a choice. Do i pick and choose people to skip for the week when it rains a lot. Absolutely, if we arent going to get everyone done then there are certain lawns we will skip. We try not to mow in the rain, and we wont mow if it is pouring out but there are times during the year that it is unavoidable unless you are mowing 1 day a week and watching mtv and on lawnsite the other 6.

MikeKle
06-06-2010, 10:56 AM
You know what the common denominator is for the guys who are saying not to mow in the rain. All solo guys. If we were doing 20 accounts a week, we wouldn't mow in the rain either. Some people HAVE to. When it rains for 4 straight days we dont have a choice. Do i pick and choose people to skip for the week when it rains a lot. Absolutely, if we arent going to get everyone done then there are certain lawns we will skip. We try not to mow in the rain, and we wont mow if it is pouring out but there are times during the year that it is unavoidable unless you are mowing 1 day a week and watching mtv and on lawnsite the other 6.

What about the customers who dont want you to mow in the rain? They dont care about how backed up we are, they only care about their yard. Some would fire me if I showed up to mow in the rain, even if it hadnt been cut in weeks and was knee high.

mowerbrad
06-06-2010, 11:24 AM
When you're backed up because of other rain days, or equipment breakdowns, etc, sometimes you have to work in the rain.

You obviously never met me, if I mowed in the rain, I could melt....I'm just that sweet :laugh:

dgw
06-06-2010, 02:59 PM
what does it matter if the ground isnt rutting?

yardguy28
06-06-2010, 06:38 PM

never been down because of equipment breakdowns but i have had multipul days of rain before.

i either pick up where i left off before the rain or i skip clients and get them the following week.

unit28
06-06-2010, 09:33 PM
Only two times I don't mow, snow and lightning storms.
Don't care how hard it's raining,. I sharpen the gators open the chute
and go. Been mowing since 1987 and have had many customers thank me for showing up. From there it depends on what soil the lawn is sitting on.
Mow one direction then another after tha

cgaengineer
06-06-2010, 09:38 PM
I had to finish my own lawn last weekend in the rain while reel mowing...makes no difference at all when its wet...still puking out a green stream of wet grass.

nepatsfan
06-06-2010, 09:39 PM
What about the customers who dont want you to mow in the rain? They dont care about how backed up we are, they only care about their yard. Some would fire me if I showed up to mow in the rain, even if it hadnt been cut in weeks and was knee high.
I didnt say make a mess and ruin the lawn. I said mow it. You are the professional, dont let the customer tell you how to do your job properly and dont give them reason to complain when you are done. If they arent happy with that tell them that they will be billed for as many cuts as you missed until you were able to do it because it took you that much longer to cut the lawn.

FuturePilot4u
06-06-2010, 09:45 PM
set up big tents over each and every yard before it rains

DLCS
06-06-2010, 09:46 PM

In 13 years, I have never been fired for mowing in the rain. You hvae to use a little common sense though. Soem lawn you can't mow in the rain, due to soil conditions or standing water, just not a good idea. But many lawns can be mowed in the rain or when wet. My customers would rather I mowed in the rain or wet, than to let their lawn go 2 weeks without being mowed. Also, I don't mow during a down pour or heavy rains for obvious reasons. But a light rain or wet grass, you bet i will.

cgaengineer
06-06-2010, 09:52 PM
set up big tents over each and every yard before it rains

Or tarps...
Posted via Mobile Device

meets1
06-06-2010, 11:34 PM
gotta go - get wet - pre-trim a few places - rain gear. Keep on mowing.

jasonnau
06-06-2010, 11:40 PM
I usually don't mow in the rain becaue it takes too long and it's not worth paying the labor for the slow time. We'll make it up on Saturday and Sunday if need be. Only one week in the last 7 years did it rain so much that we missed cuts. About half of them. That was last year.

BadRancher
06-06-2010, 11:46 PM
You have to do what you have to do. I will mow in light rain or right after. I have not run into a customer that gets mad if I do that. It all comes down to common sense. I have yards that you can mow right after a rain and I have yards that can't be mowed 3 days after it rains. Thats just the business. These mowers are designed with mowing in wet conditions in mind.....

Make sure you are using a WB in a wet yard. Not as much weight and less sinking (stay off that sulky too). If you get stuck, you can pick up the front and maneuver and get the hell out. I've seen the huge problems and damage other LCO's have done using ZTR's in wet yards. I've even had my problems with ruts. Just be smart. Using and walking behind the lil 36" is better than coming back and fixing bad ruts. I have learned the hardway.

Normally if I have doubts in a wet yard, I use my 36" and leave my TT on the trailor.

milkie62
06-07-2010, 12:01 AM
I seen one large LCO get one ZTR stuck,go get the other one to pull it out and get that one stuck,then have to disconnect the trailer and drive the truck into the whole mess.Guess he mowed that for free since he had some huge ruts to fill and level.Cutting in the rain is for the birds.When you catch up you catch up.And if some of the guys are making what they claim they make on this site they should have no problem making it up working one weekend or a couple extra every nite until back on schedule.
The way I see it is the solo part-timers aren't the greedy bunch that mow dust because of a contract,mow in steady rain because they have a contract.
If you mowed my lawn in the rain and left ruts and you had a contract,you had better have some topsoil under cover so you could repair my lawn the next day after the rain.

yardguy28
06-07-2010, 07:27 PM
I didnt say make a mess and ruin the lawn. I said mow it. You are the professional, dont let the customer tell you how to do your job properly and dont give them reason to complain when you are done. If they arent happy with that tell them that they will be billed for as many cuts as you missed until you were able to do it because it took you that much longer to cut the lawn.

exactly i'm the professional. and in my professional opinion you don't mow in the rain. i don't care how many are out there mowing in the rain it's not something i'm gonna do. now mowing when its wet is a different story. my rule of thumb for that is if the concrete and asphalt are looking pretty dry it's dry enough to mow.

In 13 years, I have never been fired for mowing in the rain. You hvae to use a little common sense though. Soem lawn you can't mow in the rain, due to soil conditions or standing water, just not a good idea. But many lawns can be mowed in the rain or when wet. My customers would rather I mowed in the rain or wet, than to let their lawn go 2 weeks without being mowed. Also, I don't mow during a down pour or heavy rains for obvious reasons. But a light rain or wet grass, you bet i will.

well your lucky you have those type of clients then......

my clients would rather wait a week for it to be dry so they get the get the best looking cut possible.

most will understand if you have to skip a cut once in a blue moon depending on how much it's been raining. i haven't come across one yet that hasn't understood. this is one reason i don't just cut grass for the rich people who want everything perfect all of the time. i have my share of pita yards that all they really want is for me to knock it down from week to week. those are the kind of yards that can be skipped once in awhile so you can get back on schedule.

i'd have to either get out of the business or kill myself if every client i worked for wanted me there every single week come hell or high water. sometimes it's just not possible because of weather.

nepatsfan
06-07-2010, 07:51 PM
exactly i'm the professional. and in my professional opinion you don't mow in the rain. i don't care how many are out there mowing in the rain it's not something i'm gonna do. now mowing when its wet is a different story. my rule of thumb for that is if the concrete and asphalt are looking pretty dry it's dry enough to mow.

well your lucky you have those type of clients then......

my clients would rather wait a week for it to be dry so they get the get the best looking cut possible.

most will understand if you have to skip a cut once in a blue moon depending on how much it's been raining. i haven't come across one yet that hasn't understood. this is one reason i don't just cut grass for the rich people who want everything perfect all of the time. i have my share of pita yards that all they really want is for me to knock it down from week to week. those are the kind of yards that can be skipped once in awhile so you can get back on schedule.

i'd have to either get out of the business or kill myself if every client i worked for wanted me there every single week come hell or high water. sometimes it's just not possible because of weather.

We dont always have the option and you can cut in the rain without making a mess if you do it properly. If you dont have the need because you dont have enough work to mandate cutting in the rain then dont.

yardguy28
06-07-2010, 08:32 PM
We dont always have the option and you can cut in the rain without making a mess if you do it properly. If you dont have the need because you dont have enough work to mandate cutting in the rain then dont.

i will always have that option, PERIOD......either i will use saturday and sunday to catch up, skip some clients, or hire help to catch up.

yes i know you can cut in the rain and not make a mess but its a huge pain in the ass. i'd rather wait until it stops raining and drys out a little bit.

no matter how busy i become in this business i will never have the mandate to cut in the rain. i'd rather work extra days, skip some lawns fo ra week and hire extra people to catch up than cut in the rain.

not trying to knock those that do. to each there own but it's never going to be for me and the clients i serve.

nepatsfan
06-07-2010, 08:40 PM
i will always have that option, PERIOD......either i will use saturday and sunday to catch up, skip some clients, or hire help to catch up.

yes i know you can cut in the rain and not make a mess but its a huge pain in the ass. i'd rather wait until it stops raining and drys out a little bit.

no matter how busy i become in this business i will never have the mandate to cut in the rain. i'd rather work extra days, skip some lawns fo ra week and hire extra people to catch up than cut in the rain.

not trying to knock those that do. to each there own but it's never going to be for me and the clients i serve.
When it rains for 5 days straight and you need more than that to complete your lawns in a week it just doesnt add up. Not trying to knock guys that cut their neighbors and their mothers house but some people have to cut in the rain from time to time.

yardguy28
06-07-2010, 08:47 PM
When it rains for 5 days straight and you need more than that to complete your lawns in a week it just doesnt add up. Not trying to knock guys that cut their neighbors and their mothers house but some people have to cut in the rain from time to time.

if it rained for 5 days straight i'd just skip everyone for that week and start fresh the following week. more than likely with some help.

you can knock the guys that cut there neighbors and mothers houses all you want. won't bother me a bit.........:cool2:

nepatsfan
06-07-2010, 08:50 PM
if it rained for 5 days straight i'd just skip everyone for that week and start fresh the following week. more than likely with some help.

you can knock the guys that cut there neighbors and mothers houses all you want. won't bother me a bit.........:cool2:

I was only kidding with you :drinkup::cool2:. Stay dry you are better off. Mowing in the rain sucks.

yardguy28
06-07-2010, 08:57 PM
I was only kidding with you :drinkup::cool2:. Stay dry you are better off. Mowing in the rain sucks.

i know..........and i'm sure mowing in the rain does suck.

i've done it a little. like when i'm already on a job and it starts raining. unless it down pours out of the blue (which did happen to me once) i'll keep working until i'm finished. that includes blowing things off.

i've never been lucky enough to have the rain come while i'm trimming or once i get done trimming. it always comes when i'm on the mower.