PDA

View Full Version : Wreck what should i do!!

dhunterd08
06-02-2010, 10:01 PM
Well 2 thursdays ago I was loading up my equipment. My 36 was parallel to my trailer, because I wanted to put the 48 on first. My neighbor and her daughter were leaving at the same time. They were parked almost back to back to each other, but there was a pretty large distance between them. Mother honked at daughter to go and daughter did the same thing. Finally mother pulls out and leaves. 2 min later her daughter slammed it i reverse and backed into the 36 lodging it under the trailer. She says she wants to pay out of pocket and I finally got a estimate today 600 in parts plus labor so probably like 1k-1200. I know it will destroy a 16yr olds insurance, but i wrecked at 16 too and it took me 2 months to make enough to get my truck repaired and I am still payig for it in insurance. Its just one of those things My mechanic didnt know someone else was paying for it and said he just straightened it out best he could, but mower still pulls to one side a little bit. What should I do? Just take it as is or make her pay the full amount? The problem is we leave in condos and load up early in the mornin sometimes and I know my neighbors hate me as is. I dont want the HOA to get involved and mess up the set up I have. Look at pictures to see how I was parked. Was I in the wrong too. If so how much? She was parked in second spot on curb in pictures

fl-landscapes
06-02-2010, 10:06 PM
were you parked outrageously reckless.....no. Were you parked (especially the mower off the trailer hard to see) as cautiously as possible....probably not. Bottom line I would say it was her fault and if she is willing to pay then get it fixed properly at as minimal cost to her as you can. If you feel a little at fault for parking the mower off the trailer where she may not have been able to see it in her rear view then offer to split it.
Some might say you should have had a cone?

dhunterd08
06-02-2010, 10:10 PM
let me clarify parking areas. She was parked directly in front of that pink/orange square. maybe a little closer to curb. Mower was exactly parallel to trailer, and it was touching trailer. Handle bars even with gate.

FiveOJoe
06-02-2010, 10:13 PM
I'd probably split it with her, or have her pay a portion and not turn it into insurance, giving her the benefit of the doubt that I shouldn't have left the mower there. She probably has some vehicle damage too?? Probably make her life a lot easier, which is a nice thing to do if you can afford it.

I had a kid drop a forklift blade on a trailer fender once, denting the fender pretty bad. I knew if I made a big deal about it the kid would get fired, so I just let it go.

kbrashears
06-02-2010, 10:16 PM
Part of being a good driver is knowing your surroundings. Always look at what's behind you before entering the vehicle. Then check and double check your mirrors.

People are in too big a hurry driving these days. They are totally irresponsible. Very few people realize just how dangerous it is to drive.

It's her fault. Completely her fault. She should pay for all of it.

Coastal Lawn Maintenance
06-02-2010, 10:34 PM
According to dmv you are supposed to be with in 18inch of the curb. i always set up cones when parked. also i would never leave a mower on the outside of the trailer like that either behind it. but still she did the hitting. and if you want to be nice i would cover half of it but really it up to you.

MileHigh
06-02-2010, 10:36 PM
In my opinion, who cares about the 16 year olds insurance or situation?..

Get your mower fixed right, and have that little snot pay for it one way or the other.

But from looking at the pics....you should have parked the 36" on the other side of the trailer, or even in the driveway...It's not like the 48" needs that much room to get on there.

mowerbrad
06-02-2010, 10:37 PM
Part of being a good driver is knowing your surroundings. Always look at what's behind you before entering the vehicle. Then check and double check your mirrors.

People are in too big a hurry driving these days. They are totally irresponsible. Very few people realize just how dangerous it is to drive.

It's her fault. Completely her fault. She should pay for all of it.

As much as I would rather be the "nice guy" in all situations, this is one situation where the other driver is completely at fault.

The girl who ran into your mower should have been more observant of her surroundings.

I know you said she is a neighbor, so that may be something to take into consideration, you wouldn't want to create any extra tension between you and neighbors.

dhunterd08
06-02-2010, 10:40 PM
I'd probably split it with her, or have her pay a portion and not turn it into insurance, giving her the benefit of the doubt that I shouldn't have left the mower there. She probably has some vehicle damage too?? Probably make her life a lot easier, which is a nice thing to do if you can afford it.

I had a kid drop a forklift blade on a trailer fender once, denting the fender pretty bad. I knew if I made a big deal about it the kid would get fired, so I just let it go.

What if I cant afford it lol. The only options are. She pays for the damages or I take the mower that still pulls to one side a little bit and she pays one hour of labor(75). I understand though. I cant touch something without breaking it, but I ALLWAYS INFORM PEOPLE AND PAY FOR IT. I mean she did bust the whole right side of the trailer light bulb, wires, etc and I just bought a kit and had a guy rewire the whole thing. I just ate that, but we arent talking about a cosmetic issue. I dont care about that at all, unless its my truck. When i pulled the mower out one hydro was spinning uncontrollably and right side wouldn't go in reverse. I honestly just want to let it go, but my uncle(runs LCO as well) is on me about making her pay the whole thing. But I would want somebody to give me a break too. I will probably hit something with the mower/trailer/etc in the next month or so anyway.

dhunterd08
06-02-2010, 10:46 PM
According to dmv you are supposed to be with in 18inch of the curb. i always set up cones when parked. also i would never leave a mower on the outside of the trailer like that either behind it. but still she did the hitting. and if you want to be nice i would cover half of it but really it up to you.

I mean it is what it is. Needless to say I dont park it anywhere but the driveway anymore, but i couldnt behind trailer because it is blocking next driveway and other side is not wide enough in between curb and further to left is other persons driveway. Driveway was best place yet, but a 7 ft wide garage doesnt leave much room for backing out the 48.

topsites
06-02-2010, 10:55 PM
Defensive driving means never having a collision, not even the kind that are not your fault.

That having been said, big deal, most of mine pull to the side, you get used to it, before long
you'll be the only one operating that mower who doesn't even notice...
Unless it's pulling real bad?

As you might gather, so long the mower still cuts half way decent I'd probably take it as is,
but NOT out of feeling sorrow for someone else's driving record or insurance problems.

FiveOJoe
06-02-2010, 10:56 PM
What if I cant afford it lol. The only options are. She pays for the damages or I take the mower that still pulls to one side a little bit and she pays one hour of labor(75). I understand though. I cant touch something without breaking it, but I ALLWAYS INFORM PEOPLE AND PAY FOR IT. I mean she did bust the whole right side of the trailer light bulb, wires, etc and I just bought a kit and had a guy rewire the whole thing. I just ate that, but we arent talking about a cosmetic issue. I dont care about that at all, unless its my truck. When i pulled the mower out one hydro was spinning uncontrollably and right side wouldn't go in reverse. I honestly just want to let it go, but my uncle(runs LCO as well) is on me about making her pay the whole thing. But I would want somebody to give me a break too. I will probably hit something with the mower/trailer/etc in the next month or so anyway.

Just saying I would feel partially responsible for leaving a mower in the roadway and would also feel that she shouldn't have hit it. It's a tough call. I know many guys here are gonna say the motorist is 100% at fault, but in reality I think there is a responsibilty on our part when parking a rig and equipment in the street. Hard to say without being there if was 50/50, 60/40, 70/30. I'm just saying partially. Just my opinion, not a judgement. :) If you feel it was all her fault, ask her for all the damage.

Hell on Blades
06-02-2010, 10:57 PM
Don't turn it in, but get it fixed right. You can be the nice guy and still get you mower repaired. If she doesn't have the money or fails to pay for it, then turn it in.

bigshow825
06-02-2010, 11:06 PM
might not be a bad idea to get yourself a few big ol cones,workn in them tight subdivisions you want to be seen as much as possible, cones will help, get the tall ones also, i carry 4 and use em all the time, just my 2 cents, good day to ya all

CLARK LAWN
06-02-2010, 11:29 PM
she pays all the way. this time it was your mower what happens next time when its a person? i see this all the time, mostly women, just get in and back up without ever looking whats behind them.

i had one today as i was backing in with my helper outside of truck to stop traffic went around him and squeezed behind the trailer and the ditch as i was backing.

dhunterd08
06-02-2010, 11:31 PM
I will probably just take it as is, just so i dont have to deal with it. Its not worth my time to have to sue and all that ****. Well i payed 2k with 55 hrs and it has 280 now. Anybody take a guess on how screwed my resale value is?

GrassIsGreenerLawnCare
06-02-2010, 11:58 PM
man, i would have done the same thing as you with putting the mower next to my trailer. those driveways are so small and so close to each other, there really isnt much room to put it anywhere else while youre moving equipment around!! its a tough position your in, but i would have her pay the 1200 and then split the cost with her for the second repair since its not fixed correctly yet. my reasoning is: You came to the house with a perfectly good mower, and ur leaving with a f'd up mower. she should pay for it bottom line. but like u said....if u dont want to be on bad terms with anyone and the HOA, then i would offer to pay half of the second repair. thats sumthin that would happen to me man, life sux then u die

Glenn Lawn Care
06-03-2010, 12:42 AM
sorry but you are parked a little goofy to say it nicley!

Groh's Mows
06-03-2010, 03:17 AM
A mower does not belong parked in the street and should not be on the side of the trailer toward the center of the street. In addition you were left wheels to curb which is only legal on one way streets. By parking the mower that way you were impeding the flow of traffic but she was engaged in unsafe backing. If she is taking responsibility be thankful because you contributed to this situation as well.

dhunterd08
06-03-2010, 05:15 AM
A mower does not belong parked in the street and should not be on the side of the trailer toward the center of the street. In addition you were left wheels to curb which is only legal on one way streets. By parking the mower that way you were impeding the flow of traffic but she was engaged in unsafe backing. If she is taking responsibility be thankful because you contributed to this situation as well.

but wtf am I supposed to park? If i back the trailer in the driveway i stickout to the parking spaces and then i am really blocking traffic. I allways park as close to the curb as the truck will go and the trailer is parallel one foot from my driveway. I mean it is a shitty situation, but i have no choice but to park there

bltp203
06-03-2010, 07:16 AM
Not sure about every state, but for the most part, if someone backs into a stationary object, then that is unsafe backing......the person in control of the moving vehicle has the responsibility to make sure the path their vehicle is traveling down is clear.

lawnboy dan
06-03-2010, 07:39 AM
am i the only one to point out he should not be running his biz from a condo? i bet his neighbors hate him

mowisme
06-03-2010, 08:24 AM
Her fault..If possible, get it fixed but let her pay in 2-4 installments if she needs too. That way you get it fixed and you still come across as a good guy by letting her pay in payments. get it in a contract thou with her Parents co-sign as she is a minor. just a thought anyway. I would not have put mower out there..but farther back if need be- but again, She is the driver. I would not turn into insurance..Talk to her parents and work something out as she is still a minor and could use a little help here in this situation. It is a touch call for sure. You need not have to have a distorted mower thou. If nothing else can be arranged- then get insurance involved.

johnwon
06-03-2010, 08:34 AM
am i the only one to point out he should not be running his biz from a condo? i bet his neighbors hate him
This is a point to consider, if the HOA has rules against having your business equipment on site.

cujrh10
06-03-2010, 01:48 PM
you did kind of park your mower in the middle of the road. Tread lightly as this could blow up in your face. If shes offering to pay then get what you can while trying to make it sound like you're doing her a favor. hopefully she doesnt call your bluff

USFGUY
06-03-2010, 04:08 PM
From my experience if you are nice to someone about this it will come back to bite you.

Say you say you will pay half.. 6 months later she files a claim with her insurance that she now has neck/back injuries.. and YOU said it was half your fault with making her pay only half. Now you get you or your insurance to pay half her expenses for god knows how long.

Make her pay for her mistake. If you have to file a claim with your insurance for the damage and make her pay the deductible. If you have to go after her for loss of wages for equipment downtime.

brucec32
06-03-2010, 06:23 PM
Solomon would probably say split the cost 50/50 since she could have driven better and you could have both parked the mower to the curb side and been a better neighbor by not running a business that involves cranking up a mower from time to time and parking a rig in such close quarters.

You likely aren't supposed to be operating a lawn care business out of a condo complex, which it sounds like you may already know. You're going to be annoying neighbors and worrying owners about their property values. It's not fair but people equate having lawn guys living next door as having the Manson family moving in sometimes. Do yourself a favor and rent a storage facility at the very least. If it came to court that might be her defense anyway, that you were blocking a residential road/parking area with your commercial business equipment that isn't allowed there in the first place technically.

That said, lawn companies have to park somewhere when they service those places, so obviously she should have paid better attention. It's not like you had your rig painted with invisability spray. She likely saw the trailer but not the mower. Still, proper (slower) backing technique would have saved a lot of damage.

Life in condos is hard enough w/o making it harder.
If you absolutely refuse to base your rig off-site, and if you're only hauling that little wb and maybe a 21", put a $1000 full-width ramp system on the back that will handle a commercial mower safely. The one I have works with the tailgate down so I have the equivilent of roughly a 5x10 trailer. I can squeeze two midsize wb's on it or a ztr/wb and a 21" with 4' of bed left over for trash barrels and such. Rack your trimmers/blowers. I still have a trailer when needed, but I find that most of the year I don't. I have a long bed HD truck and more room, but this works with a 6 1/2' bed as well. It also helps with this sort of thing when mowing apt complexes, businesses, cluster homes, etc where parking is at a premium. I really got to hate towing a trailer around all day. Driving is much more relaxing when you're not worried about the trailer all the time.

This way you can arrive home, drive in the garage, close the garage door, and not be a pita for any neighbors. (assuming your garage is big enough, I know they make some tiny ones in townhomes) . Right now you're possibly only a phone call away from fines or eviction. Rent a small storage garage for the trailer and misc junk for $75/mo and it's there when you need it. Tennessee is probably more lenient about this than some areas of the country, but odds are your condo association definitely has rules against this sort of thing. Might as well get used to doing things the other way as more than likely you will eventually be forced to.

TGM
06-03-2010, 06:43 PM
From my experience if you are nice to someone about this it will come back to bite you.

Say you say you will pay half.. 6 months later she files a claim with her insurance that she now has neck/back injuries.. and YOU said it was half your fault with making her pay only half. Now you get you or your insurance to pay half her expenses for god knows how long.

Make her pay for her mistake. If you have to file a claim with your insurance for the damage and make her pay the deductible. If you have to go after her for loss of wages for equipment downtime.

good advice. people will be nice in a crash, but a week later will lie and/or duck the insurance companies. do not trust anyone, EVER, when it comes to crashes.

emlawncare
06-03-2010, 07:36 PM
I would make her pay for it. It will teach her a valuable lesson to slow down and watch where she is backing up.

LCCaptain
06-03-2010, 09:08 PM
Make her pay to have it fixed. Report it also. This might be a sign of her driving habits and she should have a record so when she runs someone over it won't be a first offense of dangerousl driving. You could have been that 36" mower and be crippled now.

bigshow825
06-03-2010, 09:31 PM
jonwon, i have to argue, this is one of the greatest songs ever,http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0wU6bWN_iQ0

yardatwork
06-03-2010, 09:43 PM
She won't be paying for it...her parent's will. Talk to them. A 16 year old won't have any answers for you, but her parents will.

dhunterd08
06-03-2010, 10:27 PM
This is a point to consider, if the HOA has rules against having your business equipment on site.

Well I got the mower back today. I cant operate it. The only way to make it go straight is put one hydro 4/5 of the way and the other 1/2 way. Reverse doesnt work well. Everything is still bent. I talked to her today and she just asked me to get a second estimate, but she would not be turning it in to insurance. She said the girl will have to work and pay for it. As stated earlier, same thing happened to me, but i paid for every penny of it. 1500 dollars and insurance increases over however many years. I certainly dont accept half liability, but the situation is obviously not ideal. The one thing that stands out in my mind is the fact she was in reverse fast enogh to lodge the mower completely under the trailer knocking off the gate. She obviously saw and looked for nothing. If an estimate to fix it reasonably wont happen I will probably just trade it in, take the hit, and ask for the 75 I was charged today and the 75 to fix the trailer or just deal with it(Only use it on about 12 yards or so). I figure I will break something high dollar pretty soon and maybe karma will repay me. In reference to me working out of a condo, no the situation is not ideal. The trailer is stored off site though and bi laws only mention no trailers and no commercial vehicles. I guess my truck could be argued either way. Yes, I am a renter in Nashville as well as Chattanooga(School/Apartment). I would love a 3 story house and a 2 car garage, but it is simply not in the cards right now. If you dont approve of me storing two walkbehinds in my garage take note of this, title to that truck is in my lockbox, title to that trailer is there too, that 36inch gravely was paid for in cash, the 48inch gravely thats still in the garage was payed for in cash too, those trimmers, blowers, tools, etc were payed for in cash, 85 hours of a double major in accounting and economics from UTC was also paid for in cash, even the entire year of 2010 storage for that trailer has already been paid for in cash, and every penny of it came from running a business out of a condo. Sorry, I get a little defensive when my legitimacy is questioned

DuraCutter
06-03-2010, 11:37 PM
let me clarify parking areas. She was parked directly in front of that pink/orange square. maybe a little closer to curb. Mower was exactly parallel to trailer, and it was touching trailer. Handle bars even with gate.

If you want to learn a lesson from this, I'd say it's never park a piece of equipment on the road. It's not safe, period...

:)

Differential
06-04-2010, 12:23 AM
What if it wasn't a mower, but instead a child....or your dog, cat, whatever...

I'd say make her/her parents pay. There are obstacles in the road all the time, it's the responsibility of the driver to pay attention.

dhunterd08
06-04-2010, 12:45 AM
If you want to learn a lesson from this, I'd say it's never park a piece of equipment on the road. It's not safe, period...

:)

agreed its not worth the stress

cujrh10
06-04-2010, 09:43 AM
I think the only reason I would be questioning whether I should call the police on this is if I did not have my business lincensed and insured. You have both correct?

You're just asking for trouble unless she can make pay't in full to cover the damages. this pay 't stuff will just bite you in the end

johnwon
06-04-2010, 10:37 AM
Well I got the mower back today. I cant operate it. The only way to make it go straight is put one hydro 4/5 of the way and the other 1/2 way. Reverse doesnt work well. Everything is still bent. I talked to her today and she just asked me to get a second estimate, but she would not be turning it in to insurance. She said the girl will have to work and pay for it. As stated earlier, same thing happened to me, but i paid for every penny of it. 1500 dollars and insurance increases over however many years. I certainly dont accept half liability, but the situation is obviously not ideal. The one thing that stands out in my mind is the fact she was in reverse fast enogh to lodge the mower completely under the trailer knocking off the gate. She obviously saw and looked for nothing. If an estimate to fix it reasonably wont happen I will probably just trade it in, take the hit, and ask for the 75 I was charged today and the 75 to fix the trailer or just deal with it(Only use it on about 12 yards or so). I figure I will break something high dollar pretty soon and maybe karma will repay me. In reference to me working out of a condo, no the situation is not ideal. The trailer is stored off site though and bi laws only mention no trailers and no commercial vehicles. I guess my truck could be argued either way. Yes, I am a renter in Nashville as well as Chattanooga(School/Apartment). I would love a 3 story house and a 2 car garage, but it is simply not in the cards right now. If you dont approve of me storing two walkbehinds in my garage take note of this, title to that truck is in my lockbox, title to that trailer is there too, that 36inch gravely was paid for in cash, the 48inch gravely thats still in the garage was payed for in cash too, those trimmers, blowers, tools, etc were payed for in cash, 85 hours of a double major in accounting and economics from UTC was also paid for in cash, even the entire year of 2010 storage for that trailer has already been paid for in cash, and every penny of it came from running a business out of a condo. Sorry, I get a little defensive when my legitimacy is questioned
Hi, I just want you to know, nowhere in my post am I questioning your legitimacy. I do not know the HOA rules where you live. I was just implying that these rules may be something to consider if this could lead to you possibly having to be forced to move by the HOA due to the pot being stirred from this incident. It sounds like that since you keep your trailer off site and mowers inside, you may be within their rules from what you have further revealed. At this point, I would give her a copy of the invoices for the repairs and tell her "this is best I can do with the dealer" include your mailing address and who to write the check/checks out to, and tell her to pay what she feels willingly and able to afford in however many payments and however long as it takes.

johnwon
06-04-2010, 10:43 AM
jonwon, i have to argue, this is one of the greatest songs ever,http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0wU6bWN_iQ0
Hi, I do like those lyrics better. For God knows how much I detest corrupt politicians.

dhunterd08
06-05-2010, 04:04 AM
Hi, I just want you to know, nowhere in my post am I questioning your legitimacy. I do not know the HOA rules where you live. I was just implying that these rules may be something to consider if this could lead to you possibly having to be forced to move by the HOA due to the pot being stirred from this incident. It sounds like that since you keep your trailer off site and mowers inside, you may be within their rules from what you have further revealed. At this point, I would give her a copy of the invoices for the repairs and tell her "this is best I can do with the dealer" include your mailing address and who to write the check/checks out to, and tell her to pay what she feels willingly and able to afford in however many payments and however long as it takes.

sry just felt like venting. It has been a rough week ha but yes cuj i have both

dhunterd08
06-05-2010, 04:05 AM
I am highly considering a self enclosed....

lawnboy dan
06-05-2010, 08:48 AM
why cant you store the mowers at the same site as the trailer?-is trailer stored outside?

johnwon
06-05-2010, 08:48 AM
I am highly considering a self enclosed....

That sounds like a great idea. Not having to backtrack to unload and load everyday. Sounds like a time saver for sure. Just be sure to secure your trailer so no one can drive off with everything. Good luck.

topsites
06-05-2010, 11:27 AM
I can see where you're coming from, someone just plowing into a parked mower,
on the other hand I would myself feel somewhat responsible for just leaving a Wb
sitting in harm's way...

And that might sound crazy nor did I say it was in any way your fault but it was parked on the outside
of the trailer (rather than say curb side) and I don't know about anyone else's car but I can imagine in my
own vehicle it would be hard to see a Wb while backing up because they sit so close to the ground.

However, there is the driver's responsibility, the car was in motion, the Wb was not.

So...
That having been said and for what this opinion's worth I have read your response and I think you're taking the right approach,
might not be exactly what I had in mind but that's your choice and I'm basically all right with it,
more so because ultimately the driver is responsible for control of their vehicle and when backing up
one should always make SURE that area behind the car is clear if it means walking around back of the
car first to take a look, plus the damage appears to be anything but minor cosmetics...
Which, if someone just nudged a Wb with a car shouldn't really hurt it that bad, but anyhow...

Good luck with that.

dhunterd08
06-05-2010, 02:50 PM
I can see where you're coming from, someone just plowing into a parked mower,
on the other hand I would myself feel somewhat responsible for just leaving a Wb
sitting in harm's way...

And that might sound crazy nor did I say it was in any way your fault but it was parked on the outside
of the trailer (rather than say curb side) and I don't know about anyone else's car but I can imagine in my
own vehicle it would be hard to see a Wb while backing up because they sit so close to the ground.

However, there is the driver's responsibility, the car was in motion, the Wb was not.

So...
That having been said and for what this opinion's worth I have read your response and I think you're taking the right approach,
might not be exactly what I had in mind but that's your choice and I'm basically all right with it,
more so because ultimately the driver is responsible for control of their vehicle and when backing up
one should always make SURE that area behind the car is clear if it means walking around back of the
car first to take a look, plus the damage appears to be anything but minor cosmetics...
Which, if someone just nudged a Wb with a car shouldn't really hurt it that bad, but anyhow...

Good luck with that.

for dan yes trailer is stored outside, and yea i think eventually the extra 5-6 miles i have to drive every day will pay for itself. Note I said eventually lol. I am just worried about mulch. Topsites, I do accept some responsibility. I just dont except 50%. that is why I covered repairing the trailer and is why I will cover the 75 in shop time for "straightening it out". I really dont know what I will do except try to get them to turn it in to insurance so I wouldnt feel so damn bad. I would feel terrible and cant put a burden like that on a 16 yr old. As stated earlier, I break everything I touch, so I understand getting pissed and slamming it in to reverse without looking. Its not like I didnt get hot and pissed, which resulted i a pulled out throttle cable, and It is also not like I didnt get pissed about falling off a ladder while trimming a holly and run over a 360 dollar one week old trimmer:laugh:(neither event was funny at the time)

jasonnau
06-05-2010, 11:14 PM
Put her to WORK!!!! She pays for half of it, and works off the rest. There's your Saturday help without paying overtime. She'll start to appreciate how hard we work for things. It will be a good lesson learned.

topsites
06-06-2010, 12:02 AM
No...

I'm with you in that I would expect a "working" mower in return,
I think we're in agreement that it doesn't need to be perfectly restored,
however what you describe is still a ways of a shot from half decent...

Now I can't say what % over 50 it should be but if 50% didn't cover it
then whatever it takes to get that mower back to some kind of working shape.

60%, 70%, 90% I don't know but it is your tool, you have to have it for work.

That's just my attitude, like yourself I feel bad about the insurance because in
crazy ways it can make everyone's rates go up a little but hey, that's why we pay it,
I'm not so much about teaching a lesson here, the best of folks make mistakes so who cares,
to me it's about setting it back to some kind of right.

Have you found out what it would take to set it right?

dhunterd08
06-06-2010, 12:15 AM
No...

I'm with you in that I would expect a "working" mower in return,
I think we're in agreement that it doesn't need to be perfectly restored,
however what you describe is still a ways of a shot from half decent...

Now I can't say what % over 50 it should be but if 50% didn't cover it
then whatever it takes to get that mower back to some kind of working shape.

60%, 70%, 90% I don't know but it is your tool, you have to have it for work.

That's just my attitude, like yourself I feel bad about the insurance because in
crazy ways it can make everyone's rates go up a little but hey, that's why we pay it,
I'm not so much about teaching a lesson here, the best of folks make mistakes so who cares,
to me it's about setting it back to some kind of right.

Have you found out what it would take to set it right?

Yea, I am waiting on a second estimate, but the gravely dealer I have allways gone too quoted me 600 in parts + labor. So I would say a grand or more. I am just a little worried because if they replace one wheel motor or pump, it may be harder on the other one that was not completely replaced. Idk???? Just my thoughts. Bottom line, I am not sure it will ever be right again. I mean it does not have to be perfect or really even that close, but the way it is now, I would probably be more productive push mowing the backyards I am using it on. That is a waste of a very expensive piece of equipment. The thing is worth about 2k(260hrs) I guess on a good day. Idk what I could get for it now, but I am questioning is it worth sinking a grand or more in to it. Honestly, If it is fixed correctly I just want to get rid of it. As I said, not sure if it will ever be right......I have come to terms that no matter what I am probably gonna get screwed either way.

dhunterd08
06-06-2010, 12:21 AM
Put her to WORK!!!! She pays for half of it, and works off the rest. There's your Saturday help without paying overtime. She'll start to appreciate how hard we work for things. It will be a good lesson learned.

I get frustrated with the guy I have helping me now a little. I am particular(to be nice) about how I like my yards to look lol. I think that may end up costing me money in the long run. IMO any employee that is not long term will cost you money. Although, I do like to ride around in a waxed truck and shiny mowers(broken or not), especially if I am not the one washing and waxing:laugh:

indy2tall
06-06-2010, 12:45 AM
In reference to me working out of a condo, no the situation is not ideal. The trailer is stored off site though and bi laws only mention no trailers and no commercial vehicles. I guess my truck could be argued either way. Yes, I am a renter in Nashville as well as Chattanooga(School/Apartment). I would love a 3 story house and a 2 car garage, but it is simply not in the cards right now. If you dont approve of me storing two walkbehinds in my garage take note of this, title to that truck is in my lockbox, title to that trailer is there too, that 36inch gravely was paid for in cash, the 48inch gravely thats still in the garage was payed for in cash too, those trimmers, blowers, tools, etc were payed for in cash, 85 hours of a double major in accounting and economics from UTC was also paid for in cash, even the entire year of 2010 storage for that trailer has already been paid for in cash, and every penny of it came from running a business out of a condo. Sorry, I get a little defensive when my legitimacy is questioned

Nobody is questioning your "legitimacy", in fact we all to a man would say bravo to your work ethic but what you are doing is running a commercial enterprise out of your condo that you are renting. Either way if you push this too much you may end up winning the battle only to lose the war. Even if your condo association lets you slide you can bet the cities zoning inspector will most definitely NOT if someone complains about your situation.

dhunterd08
06-06-2010, 12:55 AM
yea, I am really not a jackass as the quote above appears, just a bad week ha. I know, that is why I am trying to work with them, and if i can not get the cost down and they wont turn it in to insurance, I will probably just take most of the hit. I am pretty much set on an enclosed after this incident. It should only cost me a grand or so to upgrade and I drive 5-10 extra miles five to six days a week to accomadate an open trailer. So,about 41 extra miles a week/ 12 miles to the gallon x 3 bucks a gallon means 10 extra bucks a week. In 4 years or so it will be paid for ha ha ha. Sooner if you count the tax advantages

jasonnau
06-06-2010, 01:49 AM
I get frustrated with the guy I have helping me now a little. I am particular(to be nice) about how I like my yards to look lol. I think that may end up costing me money in the long run. IMO any employee that is not long term will cost you money. Although, I do like to ride around in a waxed truck and shiny mowers(broken or not), especially if I am not the one washing and waxing:laugh: I"m there with you. Don't have her mow, put her on a couple of 10 yard mulch jobs pitch forking mulch and pushing a wheel barrow. Really, I'm just kidding. I don't know the situation, or the person. And yeah, I'm just as frustrated by my workers as well. It's really 1 good worker to about 7 people who can't grasp the concept no matter how many times you try to tell them the difference between feathering and edging. Not to mention that (EVERYTHING gets trimmed). You missed the bird feeder, 3 tree rings, and the mailbox!!!! Let me show you one more time.......ugh

topsites
06-06-2010, 04:59 AM
Well...

I can tell you this...
Anytime a vehicle is involved in a collision, call the police.

Matter of fact it's the law, if the damage exceeds a certain amount, I think $500.
But either way call the police.

That way you've got a report, plus they can figure out who is at fault
but more than anything it resolves a lot of the headaches.

GrassIsGreenerLawnCare
06-06-2010, 07:46 AM
man i wouldnt worry about all these people whining about storing your mowers and equip at your house. i lived in a HOA for 13 years on cape cod and we had a licensed car detailing biz, my old lawn biz (not licensed at the time), and dirtbikes etc. none of your neioghbors will complain or call on u because they dont want to be labeled as the "wicked witch of the neighborhood" especially within such a tight knitted HOA.(meetings every month etc). Usually everyone knows eachother and its a real slap in the face if anyone complains. I def. wouldnt pay extra $$ for another storage spot for the mowers....tell ur neighbors to deal with it. lol and for the people bashin him about parking his rig on the road....where the hell else would u have parked in that picture? dont even say the driveway!? duh! He did what was "normal" and anyone who cannot see a trailer/equipment and not slow down backing up is freakin rennnarded! I retract my last post saying that u might want to pay half of the repair. This is clearly her fault as an inexperienced driver. I hope the mother is paying for the repairs IN FULL to u, and then making her dumbasss kid pay HER back monthly. For u to take monthly payments for this would be insane! if she doesnt pay in full for all repairs, i would def call in on her. Ur mower should be 100% the way it was be4 she hit it. I dont care where u had it parked....if sum1 slams into ur crap, they should be at fault. And DEF dont have this girl work for u....you wont have anything left for equipment by the time shes done with it

dhunterd08
06-06-2010, 02:15 PM
Well...

I can tell you this...
Anytime a vehicle is involved in a collision, call the police.

Matter of fact it's the law, if the damage exceeds a certain amount, I think $500.
But either way call the police.

That way you've got a report, plus they can figure out who is at fault
but more than anything it resolves a lot of the headaches.

In TN police will not come on private property.

dhunterd08
06-06-2010, 02:27 PM
man i wouldnt worry about all these people whining about storing your mowers and equip at your house. i lived in a HOA for 13 years on cape cod and we had a licensed car detailing biz, my old lawn biz (not licensed at the time), and dirtbikes etc. none of your neioghbors will complain or call on u because they dont want to be labeled as the "wicked witch of the neighborhood" especially within such a tight knitted HOA.(meetings every month etc). Usually everyone knows eachother and its a real slap in the face if anyone complains. I def. wouldnt pay extra $$ for another storage spot for the mowers....tell ur neighbors to deal with it. lol and for the people bashin him about parking his rig on the road....where the hell else would u have parked in that picture? dont even say the driveway!? duh! He did what was "normal" and anyone who cannot see a trailer/equipment and not slow down backing up is freakin rennnarded! I retract my last post saying that u might want to pay half of the repair. This is clearly her fault as an inexperienced driver. I hope the mother is paying for the repairs IN FULL to u, and then making her dumbasss kid pay HER back monthly. For u to take monthly payments for this would be insane! if she doesnt pay in full for all repairs, i would def call in on her. Ur mower should be 100% the way it was be4 she hit it. I dont care where u had it parked....if sum1 slams into ur crap, they should be at fault. And DEF dont have this girl work for u....you wont have anything left for equipment by the time shes done with it

Everything you just said is what i really think about the situation lol. I know who they have insurance with and I am considering just calling them and filing a claim. I will just wait until I get 2 estimates to see what happens. I still want to cause as little tension as possible. I do not think HOA has any grounds to do anything. I read the bi laws as painful as that was. It just says trailers can not be stored here and neither can commercial vehicles. I will say I guess it is possible the walkbehind was lower than her car(ford focus) where it could not be seen, but in that case you give it a little nudge when backing up, realize it, and stop. Not, plow it under the trailer bending the control of the throttle in to a right angle and pushing the trailer off.

bigdodge150
06-06-2010, 02:39 PM
thats rediculous she hit something that was parked!!!:nono:
had a mexican hit my truck once when it was parked Luckily i had a warn bumper on the front so no damage but i did notice paint on it and was like wtf who hit my truck about two days later the mexican pulls up in a pos mitsubishi and says he's calling the police cause I parked my truck illegally. I told him call the cops tell them you hit a parked car two days ago and see what they say. After my buddy calmed me down and kept me from killing him I said Im going to call the cops cause i found an illegall imagrent and he ran :laugh:

lawnboy dan
06-06-2010, 09:16 PM
an enclosed trailer is you best short term fix.

cujrh10
06-07-2010, 12:01 PM
an enclosed trailer is you best short term fix.

not to sounds like a jerk but I was thinking that not leaving your mower unattended in the middle of the road would probably have fixed this problem. Should have it gotten hit? No, def not. Should it have been sitting in the road? No def not. I'm glad you are taking some of the responsibility for this because a portion of it does indeed rest with you. I hope it all pans out for you

brucec32
06-22-2010, 04:38 PM

1. It's not whether I approve or not that matters. I don't care. But I had your situation for a brief time years back when between homes and I bit the bullet and rented space because the place I lived would have had a notice on my door the next day if I didn't. I couldn't park a pickup in the driveway overnight there. Glad you can park the truck there but running a trailer in is probably pushing your luck. My father sat on a zoning board of appeals for years and I got regaled with all this stuff at the dinner table. People will sue you over something you and I would think is unimportant and they will win and you will have great expense and inconvience. Better to just avoid the problem.

2. Nobody questioned your legitimacy. It sounds like you have a chip on your shoulder about it yourself (not unreasonable, as I'm sure you sense the neighbors may not be thrilled).

3. Double major aside, it's "paid", not "payed". : )

4. I realize you sometimes may need to take a unit "home" so you can work on it at night. Hence the suggestion to get a good ramp on the pickup so you can swing into the garage with one if needed and minimize problems. They can't complain about something they can't see. Some ramps are hidden by the tailgate. Back in, ditch the mower, pull the truck out and park, and nobody's the wiser.

5. It's not just about you. Part of being a good considerate human being is to realize that your business may cause issues for your neighbors. Their concerns may be irrational or not. But if I had a "for sale" sign in front of my unit the last thing I would want to see is the neighbor loading up a mowing rig in the morning when I'm trying to show it to a prospect. It's simply not going to be good for property values. Sorry, that's the way life works. People make assumptions. They want to feel they're in some sort of "professional, upscale" environment and their image of us does not jive with that. Personally I don't care if the guy next door is a lawn guy. But a lot of folks living that lifestyle may. Just because we want or need something in life it doesn't give us the right to dump on others. The closer the quarters, the more one needs to be above reproach in terms of this sort of thing. It's realtively inexpensive and easy to save them and yourself the trouble. The "well that's their problem" attitude is why it's gotten so toxic out there these days. You can choose to live life on a higher plane than the masses or you can choose to be one of them.

Lazer Cut
06-22-2010, 06:27 PM
Don't mean to come from the peanut gallery but why is your mowers facing oujt? If you were taking it out of your garage and parking it next to your trailer it should be down running along side your trailer, not turned outward as to show off the mower. While she should have noticed the mower getting into her car, you don't know what was going through her life and in my pick up I prob wouldn't have seen it in the rear view. I think its part her fault part yours. She should pay for half, I back into my grandmas lil car when I first started driving, damn right I paid for it. But it was my fault totally, seeing how your mower was parked out like it was I think its your fault for parking it that way. Now saying she floored it in reverse because it got lodged may be your thoughts, but have you ever left the parking brake off like forgot to put it on? Man my grandstand rolls around easily... not like I could push it easy but just driving it moves. I don't see why you're gonna take a hit and trade it in... you're being to nice. Make her pay half, both of you leanr a lesson and call it a day.

Don't get offended by my comments as I am not trying to offend you in anyway just giving my 2 cents and my opinion probably won't change your mind lol
Posted via Mobile Device

John_99_2007
06-22-2010, 07:43 PM
Legally her fault.
But you are running machines out of a condo. Instead of your neighbors hearing the birds chirp in the morning they get to hear you loading up.
You seem to know you bring down the neighborhood.
Why not just call it even?

dhunterd08
06-22-2010, 11:43 PM
Don't mean to come from the peanut gallery but why is your mowers facing oujt? If you were taking it out of your garage and parking it next to your trailer it should be down running along side your trailer, not turned outward as to show off the mower. While she should have noticed the mower getting into her car, you don't know what was going through her life and in my pick up I prob wouldn't have seen it in the rear view. I think its part her fault part yours. She should pay for half, I back into my grandmas lil car when I first started driving, damn right I paid for it. But it was my fault totally, seeing how your mower was parked out like it was I think its your fault for parking it that way. Now saying she floored it in reverse because it got lodged may be your thoughts, but have you ever left the parking brake off like forgot to put it on? Man my grandstand rolls around easily... not like I could push it easy but just driving it moves. I don't see why you're gonna take a hit and trade it in... you're being to nice. Make her pay half, both of you leanr a lesson and call it a day.

Don't get offended by my comments as I am not trying to offend you in anyway just giving my 2 cents and my opinion probably won't change your mind lol
Posted via Mobile Device

No, I appreciate your insight. I have backed into things, run over things, tossed objects breaking things, and dropped things that broke other things(lol), and I took responsibility and paid for them(rightfully so). It actually was parked exactly how your talking parallel to side of trailer(actually touching it). These pictures were taken after i unlodged it from under the trailer. I actually can not leave the parking break off. The mower shuts off if parking break is not on and you let go of the grips. I allways throttle the mower down before I turn it off, so I put hydros in neutrel, parking break, throttle down, turn off key. The wheels actually never "spun", becaue mower was lodged under sideways, if that makes any sense. The mower is getting fixed to where it is sellable. I have already spent 200 bucks on first fix and damage to trailer. I am waiting for the new bill.....:cry:

dhunterd08
06-23-2010, 12:07 AM
1. It's not whether I approve or not that matters. I don't care. But I had your situation for a brief time years back when between homes and I bit the bullet and rented space because the place I lived would have had a notice on my door the next day if I didn't. I couldn't park a pickup in the driveway overnight there. Glad you can park the truck there but running a trailer in is probably pushing your luck. My father sat on a zoning board of appeals for years and I got regaled with all this stuff at the dinner table. People will sue you over something you and I would think is unimportant and they will win and you will have great expense and inconvience. Better to just avoid the problem.

2. Nobody questioned your legitimacy. It sounds like you have a chip on your shoulder about it yourself (not unreasonable, as I'm sure you sense the neighbors may not be thrilled).

3. Double major aside, it's "paid", not "payed". : )

4. I realize you sometimes may need to take a unit "home" so you can work on it at night. Hence the suggestion to get a good ramp on the pickup so you can swing into the garage with one if needed and minimize problems. They can't complain about something they can't see. Some ramps are hidden by the tailgate. Back in, ditch the mower, pull the truck out and park, and nobody's the wiser.

5. It's not just about you. Part of being a good considerate human being is to realize that your business may cause issues for your neighbors. Their concerns may be irrational or not. But if I had a "for sale" sign in front of my unit the last thing I would want to see is the neighbor loading up a mowing rig in the morning when I'm trying to show it to a prospect. It's simply not going to be good for property values. Sorry, that's the way life works. People make assumptions. They want to feel they're in some sort of "professional, upscale" environment and their image of us does not jive with that. Personally I don't care if the guy next door is a lawn guy. But a lot of folks living that lifestyle may. Just because we want or need something in life it doesn't give us the right to dump on others. The closer the quarters, the more one needs to be above reproach in terms of this sort of thing. It's realtively inexpensive and easy to save them and yourself the trouble. The "well that's their problem" attitude is why it's gotten so toxic out there these days. You can choose to live life on a higher plane than the masses or you can choose to be one of them.

1. I am not really an ass, it was a long week. It is my driveway. I will park what ever vehicle I want there. You are correct. I am in the process of solving the problem, but for now I back the trailer as far into the garage as possible and back both walkbehinds on. The engines run for 1 mintue each or less.

2. Yes, I hate my neighbors. They hate me. I am in the process of resolvig this.

3. I deserved that.

4. I will look on craigslist

5. I do not care what people think about my current profession. I will not be doing this forever. I agree on all accounts. Although if parking two mowers in the garage is the worst thing I do, I am not sure if I should be immediatly grouped with "the masses"

ZTR_Diesel
06-23-2010, 01:16 AM
I looked into a condo prior to buying my house. They had an HOA (naturally) and lots of regulations about what could (and mostly could not) be parked on "your" property. Included in the "not" catagories were: RV's, Travel-Trailers, enclosed trailers, utility trailers, motorcycles, lawn equipment, and any vechile displaying a "for sale" sign on it anywhere.

Sorry to say, but that wound up being a deal breaker for me with regards to a condo, and it may be one reason why storage facilites are doing so well these days.

jvanvliet
06-23-2010, 07:18 AM
Wow; looks like a tight spot for a truck & trailer. Sometimes I pull my truck & trailer into a series of empty parking spots and pull the front of the truck out a bit so it forms a > formation; I pull the walk behind off and then the my ZTR. I leave the walk behind directly behaind the trailer (after lifting the gate) and put out cones.

Cones are good and are required down here - it tells people watch out and if they don't it's their fault.

I don't see how you could have parked any better (other than no cones) Feeling bad for the 16 yr old is fine but they have to learn how to be responsible drivers, 16, 17, 52 whatever. Don't feel too bad other than your machine sounds like it has a bent frame.

If they get pissy about having to do the right thing, oh well.

topsites
06-23-2010, 09:13 AM
I can tell you one thing I did learn over the years...

Last week one of my customers was getting ready to back up out of the driveway,
and I RAN over there to ask her to watch for the gate of the trailer because it
might be hard to see close to the ground.

All went well, but CYA, what would I have done if she had drove over or into it?
So I try to keep an eye on things and if I even think there's a potential for damage
I will try and do what I can to avoid it, granted I'm not perfect.

In TN police will not come on private property.

Oh yeah, I forgot about that lol

troyota71
06-23-2010, 09:24 PM
You are both at fault.You shouldn't park equip.on the traffic side as well she should of looked a little better when she was backing up.I have a 16 yr old daughter driving now.I would expect her to pay( Ya I'd pay it for her and she'd pay me back).I think its right to split it. I hope it turns out well.