PDA

View Full Version : SD 48 Blower Belt Issue

ssgumby
06-02-2010, 11:12 PM
I posted here last year about my new SD48 having its blower motor fly apart within minutes of my first mow. They repaired it and I ran it last year. I found it odd I had to replace the blower motor belt twice last year.

This year after 1 mow I blew my third belt. Dealer replaced the blower assembly thinking it was bad and was causing the belt to wear. Two mowes after having the blower assembly replaced, I go through another belt. I have 30 hours on this mower and am now on my 5th belt.

Last year it at least lasted a few mows between belts, this year its every other mow so far.

What would be causing blower motor belts to go bad so fast. The last one I looked at closely and it was burnt on the top edge, literally black.

Thoughts?

mowerconsultant
06-03-2010, 10:43 AM
Hmmm.... hard to say without seeing the mower in person.
Does your dealer have it again?

Pj

ssgumby
06-03-2010, 10:12 PM
Hi PJ, no I just replaced the belt myself. I hate having it at the dealer more than home.

oldfella
06-05-2010, 10:31 AM
This is what happened with mine. The new mower comes with oil or grease applied to the tensioned mechanism (don't know what else is called). Dirt and grass clippings cause the tensioner to become stuck. I completely removed mine and cleaned it with alcohol, especial the grooves where the tensioner slides back and forth. I then applied silicone spray lubricant, I used the "3-in-one professional" (auto parts stores). Now the tensioner slides freely, without continued accumulation of dirt. I left the safety cover off mine to enable me to blow the dust and debris off from that area. You may want to do likewise.

Pete

ssgumby
06-08-2010, 11:04 AM
thanks oldfella, ill give that a try. I too leave my safety guard off to clean it out because I did notice it gets clumped up under there. Ill give the tensioner clean out a try though!

oldfella
06-08-2010, 11:07 PM
thanks oldfella, ill give that a try. I too leave my safety guard off to clean it out because I did notice it gets clumped up under there. Ill give the tensioner clean out a try though!

Let us know how it works out for you.

Pete

3Bladz
06-09-2010, 11:21 PM
I would see if all the pulleys spin freely and quietly. If one is stuck or bearings are loud it could smoke a belt.