PDA

View Full Version : pic of a fairy ring on a new clients lawn

ant
07-15-2002, 10:37 PM
picked up a new job today ..
what would you guys do about this..
i the past i would just fertilize the lawn to mask it...
anthony

joshua
07-16-2002, 01:44 AM
thats not to bad, i was golfing a few months ago and almost every green on the coarse had them some had 2 or 3. and the biggest problem was a elm on the coarse looked like it was in the early stages of dutch elm

MOW ED
07-16-2002, 08:19 AM
Hard to get rid of. Fert masks it but the process continues. Sometimes it gets real bad and kills everything inside.

I have read that it is something that you have to live with or spend alot of time and money to get rid of and that is questionable.

I just leave it alone unless the customer is complaining then I will get the information together and let the customer read how difficult it is to control. That usually ends it.

I believe that you have to remove the soil and diseased area to a certain depth. You can't let the diseased soil touch the shovel because that may spread the disease to the unaffected areas. You can't drop diseased soil onto the unaffected parts. On top of that, it may not work anyway.

Lets hear from others.

crawdad
07-16-2002, 08:25 AM
OK, I give up, what's a fairy ring? What causes it, what do you do about it?
Crawdad:confused:

lawnstudent
07-16-2002, 08:47 AM
Originally posted by MOW ED
Hard to get rid of. Fert masks it but the process continues. Sometimes it gets real bad and kills everything inside.

I have read that it is something that you have to live with or spend alot of time and money to get rid of and that is questionable.

I just leave it alone unless the customer is complaining then I will get the information together and let the customer read how difficult it is to control. That usually ends it.

I believe that you have to remove the soil and diseased area to a certain depth. You can't let the diseased soil touch the shovel because that may spread the disease to the unaffected areas. You can't drop diseased soil onto the unaffected parts. On top of that, it may not work anyway.

Lets hear from others.

Actually there is a technique that will eliminate fairy rings. It is time consuming but will completely eliminate the ring. It turns out that the fungus that causes fairy rings is toxic to other fairy rings.

Kill the grass off over the fairy ring (use glyphosate). Collect the white mycelia (fruiting bodies of a fungus) from more than one fairy ring and mix this good. It's important that you use more than one fairy ring for this step. Now spread the mixed mycelia over the exposed soil of your site (make sure the glyphosate was used at least one week prior). Rototill the mixed mycelia into the soil to a 6-8 inch depth. Wet out this area with a wetting agent and water to an 8 inch depth. Sod or re-seed the area. That's it. It may sound a little funny but it does work. And it don't cost a lot in materials, just time. Of coarse you have to know where other fairy rings exist to collect the mycelia. Good luck.

jim

crawdad
07-16-2002, 09:09 AM
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1442&highlight=fairy+ring

There's a guy on this thread who seems to have a solution, without any fungicides or chemicals. I did a search to learn more about it, never heard of it, but there are a couple of circles on one of my lawns.....I thought it was an "oops" with fertilizer or something, I think it was there last year, too.
Crawdad

lawnstudent
07-16-2002, 10:25 AM
Originally posted by crawdad
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1442&highlight=fairy+ring

There's a guy on this thread who seems to have a solution, without any fungicides or chemicals. I did a search to learn more about it, never heard of it, but there are a couple of circles on one of my lawns.....I thought it was an "oops" with fertilizer or something, I think it was there last year, too.
Crawdad

The best way to collect fairy ring mycelia is to dig a couple of shovels full of soil from the fairy ring arcs.

Fairy rings are created by fungus feeding on organic matter under your turf. Typically it is a tree stump or roots that were not removed before the lawn was installed.

jim

wolfpacklawn
07-18-2002, 11:41 PM
there is a fungacide that is specifically for fairy ring that I have used a few times with good results. I was told to take a spike or rebar and pound it into the ring to make a bunch of holes then mix up the fungacide in buckets and pour it over the ring. That did the trick pretty well. I don't remember what the fungacide is called but I got it at a local nursery.

FERT REP
07-19-2002, 12:16 PM
Prostar fungicide w/a wetting agent will work on some of the fungi that cause fairy ring.