PDA

View Full Version : French Drain question.

Firefighter337
06-03-2010, 01:05 AM
Long, bare with me.

I am in the process of re-landscaping my yard.

Earlier this week I used a tractor and a box blade to grade my yard. I had a slight grade going away from the house. Looking from the street towards my front door, the house had a right to left grade, the left side of my yard is almost 12 inches lower than the right.... Well I created a slightly steeper grade from right to left grade. Closer to a 14" decline. BUT It rises up almost 6" up, as it goes to the back yard.

WELL tonight we had a heavy rain, and there is a 3" pond in my front yard, the full length of my home. From the foundation to almost 8 feet out.

MY question. I know I need a drain, I am no expert. But I have some experience. All of my experience has been a drain installed the the curb, cut the curb, have someone re-patch the curb, etc. I know it needs a place for the water to go. But its not going to be easy at all to get he drain to where it needs to go.

I called a friend who does much more hardscaping than I do. He said if it was up to him, he would tie a french drain, directly into the sewer clean-out already installed to the left of my house. That way I would be using the 4" pipe all the way to the storm drain under the road.

So I called the previous owner, he told me when the house was built, the clean-up was installed with a check valve close to the house. I have never heard of a sewer system check valve.

It makes sense to me because if I had a yard that did slope to the road, and needed a french drain, the water would end up in the same sewer drain where the rest of the storm water goes. However, I have no idea of the codes etc. But I can call.

Has anyone heard of this? But this drain would be 50' long tied into the sewer pipe vs. 50' then 190' to the rear of my property to the creek or installing a sump pump and taking it to the road that way.

Throw in your ideas, comments, but be kind. It is just an Idea.

Firefighter337
06-03-2010, 01:10 AM
http://www.backwater-valves.com/Backwater-Valve-Diagram.asp

I have found this type of valve in right before the clean-out, sweep T. I thought it was another clean-out installed before. So, I reckon I got a check valve.

Stillwater
06-03-2010, 02:41 AM
that check valve prevents the possibility of raw sewer waste from entering your home during a sewer line over flow, you should upgrade that valve to a double check cast iron valve if it hasen't already

Firefighter337
06-03-2010, 08:40 AM
So is this tie in a possibly a good idea?
Posted via Mobile Device

Stillwater
06-03-2010, 09:55 AM
You need to check your towns laws regarding ground water diversion it may not be legal to tie in you should check. The concern I have is the original reason to regrade, it sounds like you caused this issue by regradeing. It is allways better to have ground water naturaly flow away from your home rather than rely on a mechanical means. Its your call but you need to weigh the reason to regrade against the need for a drain now.

betmr
06-06-2010, 09:37 AM
The sewer line from your house, is normally not part of the Storm Drainage System of your town. Many places don't allow you to connect things like sump pumps & condensate drains, into the sewer system.

I would guess the reasoning is, that, in times of heavy demand, the system becomes overloaded. (with that extra rain water, added from drainage systems).

In my town, they don't say anything about cutting the curb, to run gutters/drains to the Storm System. Just a side note: when they re-did our street, all the existing gutter/drains that went to the curbs, were connected directly into the Storm System, w/clean-out near the new curb. The town does not approve connecting this type of drainage to the Sewer System.

I would think on it, perhaps, approved or not, directing that access water to the Storm System, is really, the best way to go.

phasthound
06-06-2010, 10:26 AM
The best thing to do is to prevent all that runoff and allow rainwater to percolate through your soil before it reaches any creek or groundwater. Contaminated water from run off and loss of water are becoming big issues and regulations are coming into effect to help prevent these problems. There are regs in the works that will require this for all new construction nation wide. It's not about politics, it's about clean water.

cgaengineer
06-06-2010, 11:23 AM
It would be illegal to put storm water into a sewer system...you might get away with it, but its illegal...if everyone did that it would put a burden on the sewer plant and they are alread burdened enough from heavy storms. Depending on the size of the pond you could put in underground detention using an Infiltrator system which you could tie in at the low points with yard drains. You would also need to calculate the amount of water standing in your particular location to make sure you install enough Infiltrator line.

Research the infiltrator product.