PDA

View Full Version : Ferris or Husqvarna?

The Bard Rocks
06-03-2010, 09:35 AM
I buy distressed properties, fix them, and resell them, so I get into some difficult situations once in a while, places with knee-high grass and God-knows-what-all hiding in it. Terrain is normally flattish, but there are often short steep spots and maybe even a spot that is wettish. Often bumpy in places, with a lot of trees, flower beds, etc to cut around. I have been handling this with a Husqvarna CZ4815 (don't laugh) and I am quite pleased with it, though wish for more HP when I get into a high grass situation. Anyway, it is getting some hours (565) on it and I thought that while it still runs and looks good, I'd trade up to a more commercial quality machine that will perform better and last longer.

I was initially taken with the Husqvarna iz4821 (can't go wider than 48", for several reasons), but my dealer doesn't have one in to try, nor does anyone else within 50miles. So, I went to another dealer whom I trust, one closer in fact. He showed me 2 Ferris 1500Zs, which I liked, a new one for $6200 and a good used one (250hrs) for $4500. While I can afford either, is there a reason not to get the used one? Or would there be a reason to wait until a Husqy iz4821 appears? Both have the same Kawi engine I believe.

Or, would one perform better than the other in the situations that I encounter? Also available to me (I know you are going to ask - these are somewhat less desirable dealers, but still OK) are a JD 445 and a Exmark Phazer, but they seem to be considerably lesser machines and to go to the next level in those brands is a big jump beyond what I am willing to spend.

I appreciate your input; you folks know so much more than I ever will.

gts0018s
06-03-2010, 05:17 PM
I'm in no way a commercial guy. However I did just buy a Ferris 44" with the 19HP Kawasaki. I am extremely pleased, I cut with a BadBoy ZT, BobCat ProCat, Exmark Lazer Z (awesome machine), the Ferris IS2000, and the Ferris IS 1500z that I bought.

You cannot go wrong with the Ferris, it is a great machine. I used/using to cut a 1.5 acre field that is usually bush-hogged....but my father-in-law's tractor has been down. It will bog if I hit at Full speed, but if I got to about 3/4 speed...no bogging even with the 19HP. Amazingly agile, very smooth even in a field. It is not as smooth as the IS2000 though...it rode amazing. The Lazer was also very nice.

Honestly, for what you are cutting...I would look at the BadBoys, it wasn't as polished on the cut...but built like a tank. If you choose the Ferris, it's very nice and cuts great.

The Bard Rocks
06-04-2010, 09:14 PM
Thanks for your input, the Ferris will be here next week. I have 2+ acres to do that has not been cut yet this year. That should test its mettle. Now to sell the Husqvarna.....

gts0018s
06-04-2010, 11:58 PM
You are quite welcome, when you get it be sure to at least PM me back and let me know if like it (I believe it would be hard for you not to, I think it actually fits into an "exotic" mower category).

The more I use mine, the more I love it. I did attempt to adjust the front springs the other day...and got no where...the supplied wrench is for the rear only I think, so I guess the dealer would have to do this.

LuxuryLawnCare
06-05-2010, 01:38 PM
ferris by far