PDA

View Full Version : whats best a 2 or 4 stroke push mower & why

Jimbo
07-15-2002, 10:10 PM
Just wanted to get everyones opinion on what type engine is best for a push mower. Currently I run a 4-stroke, but I wanted to get pro's/ con's of both.

Thanks

ilovethisgame
07-15-2002, 11:40 PM
I'll assume you're thinking Toro proline or Lawn-boy. My 2 cycle proline is bulletproof, I LOVE it and have yet to find a con in six plus years of use (other than the discontinueation of 2 cycle mowers here in CA) I chose the Toro over the Lawn-boy due to Toro offering a blade brake clutch model. If you hate changing oil on 21" mowers like me 2 cycles are worth their weight in gold.

-Dave

Cutter1
07-16-2002, 09:21 AM
The Toro Proline mowers are bulletproof. The Suzuki engines usually outlast the decks!! THey stopped making the 4.5 HP Suzuki 2 stroke and now it comes with a 5.5 HP. Basically the same engine just tweaked a bit. They are well worth the money. I have four of them, one was even run over by a truck and totaled. I took the engine off the mangled deck and put it on a old left over deck and it started right up. It even had the gas tank and exaust pipe missing when I took it off!! It was dragged for about 50 yards or more!!

ABC Landscaping
07-16-2002, 04:36 PM
We have a lawn boy commercial duty 2 cycle 6.5 HP with mulching blades. We've been very happy with the way it runs. It only bogs down when the grass is really high. It starts right up on the first or second pull everytime.:waving:

Hawkeye5
07-16-2002, 04:51 PM
I use a Lawn Boy 2 cycle, but I'm sure the Toro is just as good as long as you stay with a commercial mower. A 2 cycle is just easier to take care of. As Dave points out, changing oil in a 21" mower is something I don't have to do. Just another task, and I'm mixing 2 cycle fuel anyway. JD

Jimbo
07-17-2002, 11:28 AM
Do the two-cycles last longer or run better on side hills since the oil is in the gas and not "splashed" on the internals?

Do the rings wear out quickly? Loud?

Thanks
Jim

MikeLT1Z28
07-17-2002, 11:32 AM
two cycle is fine if it's the same ratio as your trimmers/blowersm unless it has an onboard mixing tank. two cycle isn't as inclined to wear out as far internally and isn't a problem on steep hills where oiling would be a concern.

4 cyl uses less oil (crankcase only), is probably quieter and the emissions aren't as bad. don't run a push mower so that's about all i can tell you.

ilovethisgame
07-17-2002, 02:58 PM
One of my friends has ran the same mower also a 2 cycle proline since 1989 as his primary mower two decks later the thing is still a champ. If you purchase a 4 cycle w/ full presure lube you will notice no real difference on hills. The 2 cycles tend to be loud during the break in peroid after that it works it's way to a nice mellow hum. Good luck let us know what you chose.

-Dave

Jimbo
07-17-2002, 11:22 PM
I guess I forgot to mention weight. I think I will try a 2-stroke, since I have already ran many 4-strokes in the past. It doesn't sound like there is a clear consensus on the matter. I figured there would be a definate trend in what people are using for trim mowers.

Thanks for the input,
Jim