PDA

View Full Version : Starting Problems

Trouthead
06-03-2010, 11:47 AM
For the second year in a row I am having starting problems with my Hustler Super z fuel injected.

I start this mower every month or so during the winter. When the mowing season started, about 2 weeks ago it would not start. I did the usual run the fuel pump and purge the lines at the scrader valve. It did then start. Figured I was set for the season. Went to mow again and it would not start. Did the same prime procedure, and purge procedure, and nothing. Also checked the fuel line (intake side) valve and the check valve ball bearing clicks when I shake it.

I would call the dealer, but if there is anything else I can try first so either he nor I have to travel 25 miles each way for what might be simple problem, I would like to try that.

I have the fuel valve turned on, it has the treated gas iin it from last season, and it did finally run fine on that gas the last time it started.

What else can I try before I call the dealer. Thanks

mowerconsultant
06-03-2010, 06:08 PM
Do you hear your fuel pump running when the key is on?

Trouthead
06-04-2010, 01:22 PM
As near as I can tell, the fuel pump is running, although it is hard to hear it over the oil cooler fan noise. I can feel it ( I think I can) cycle on and off and make a slight vibration in the fuel line that comes out of the fuel filter. The line is marked fuel injection, and it goes to the schrader relief valve.

I let it run for 4 minutes this time, and did not do anything with the schrader relief valve and it started.

Obvious something is not quite right. Is this possibly a function of the drain back valve in the fuel line intake not functioning properly? Should I replace that check valve?? Is it possible to clean it.

I love this mower. It is so fast my grass cutting time is down to 45 minutes per cut.

I, my dealer and who ever just need to figure this out so it is not an ongoing problem. I hope we can, as it seems pretty simple.

mowerconsultant
06-07-2010, 11:10 AM
As near as I can tell, the fuel pump is running, although it is hard to hear it over the oil cooler fan noise. I can feel it ( I think I can) cycle on and off and make a slight vibration in the fuel line that comes out of the fuel filter. The line is marked fuel injection, and it goes to the schrader relief valve.

I let it run for 4 minutes this time, and did not do anything with the schrader relief valve and it started.

Obvious something is not quite right. Is this possibly a function of the drain back valve in the fuel line intake not functioning properly? Should I replace that check valve?? Is it possible to clean it.

I love this mower. It is so fast my grass cutting time is down to 45 minutes per cut.

I, my dealer and who ever just need to figure this out so it is not an ongoing problem. I hope we can, as it seems pretty simple.

It could be the check valve...
I would make sure the fuel lines are sitting in the bottom of the tanks, they can curl up sometimes.
Your dealer can call his regional service manager and talk to him to get this solved also.

Pj

Trouthead
06-07-2010, 01:03 PM
Update. I managed to cut yesterday, but had problems with the right side tank. On the rougher parts of the "lawn" it would cut out like it was getting fuel starved. I filled up the left side tank and had no problems, even on the rough parts. Also pulled the fuel line out of the right side, and it seemed to be sitting in the tank correctly. Finished the lawn today and had no problems with either tank. Even ran up and down the road for about 15 minutes with the right tank on and had no problems.

I will talk to my dealer, and see what he thinks. I just like to fix what I can on my own with out having to get him envoled for something I can fiddle with and fix. I do think I will have him order a new check vavle.

Also, I hope no one takes this as a reflection on Hustlers or the Kohler FI engine. Both are tremendous.

cbkc
06-09-2010, 02:40 AM
It's gotta be a fuel line/valve issue with the right tank. My solution would be use the left tank...lol.