PDA

View Full Version : What do you do for security?

agrostis palustris
07-16-2002, 12:06 AM
I am having a big problem with security over at my shop lately. The other day a plant got stolen, and I stopped by tonight to just see what was goin on over there. Few seconds after I pull into the front lot, somebody is peeling out from around back in a blazer which I have never seen before. I went back a few hours later and all doors were locked and nothing appeared to be missing. Possibly he was dumping his garbage in the dumpsters out there. But I doubt it. What do you all do to keep your belongings safe?

Albemarle Lawn
07-16-2002, 04:25 AM
Practice makes perfect.

Not to bragg or anything, but when I shoot my gun I don't miss.

KB

Albemarle Lawn
07-16-2002, 04:31 AM
Get mercury-vapor dusk to dawn lighting. You can get really nice durable units at ....believe it or not.... Wal-Mart for under $25 bulb included, with photo-cell auto operation.

And, get HALOGEN motion-sensor lamps. The crooks will feel like deer in the spot...oops, I mean Headlights.

And, get a security system with a silent alarm that notifies YOU!

Then you get the pleasure of personally neutralizing them with whatever force is needed. Don't bother with one that notifies the cops, they will usually fine YOU after the 3rd or so false alarm. Plus the cops will stop for coffee on the way to checking on most alarm calls. I have cop friends and they get 100's of false alarms per week in a small town.

Of course, bar the windows and make sure you have real doors with real locks.

Finally, if you like dogs, get a nice bull-mastiff or Presa-Canario that stays on the site.

Ken

Brickman
07-16-2002, 07:34 AM
.223 with a spot light. :D :D

I live in the country, so far no problems (knock on wood).

I would go with the lights and good padlocks. If that fails to work, hook up 220 volt electric to the doors and bars on the windows. Word will soon get around that you don't mess with THAT shop. The media will spread the word for you. :D

AL Inc
07-16-2002, 07:34 AM
We park behind a welding/fabricating shop on 3 acres. The man who owns it is a gun collector and lives next door. Also have several dogs. Even I'm afraid to go there at night.:) Mike

JJOHN22042
07-16-2002, 01:27 PM
First if you Shop is not at your House you try the following:

Make sure the outside of the Building is well lighted.

Call the Police as them if they could do some Building checks for you (Some Free Coffee helps lol)

Put Locks on the Dumpster at night.

Place a Dog in the Building at night.

Just my 2 Cents worth

The Mowerdude
07-17-2002, 02:51 AM
When I was having a problem with my lawn trailer sitting in the yard, I went over to Tractor Supply and bought an electric cattle fence. That put an end to all problems. It even kept the neighborhood dogs from "marking" it. :D

awm
07-17-2002, 02:22 PM
not bad idea ,just dont tell anybody its there.man get tangled up in that at nite.
he probably be a little discouraged.
:D after they get into it one time ,move it around onim. some side money would be to get a video of it. no tellin what that would sell for on tv. :D
ive seen a fella get one wrapped around his leg.if i hadnt been thereto turn it off ,im not sure he would have ever got out. but he was sho tearing the ground up
around there for a while. this was a friend not a thief.:D :D hope he never reads this.

Remsen1
07-17-2002, 03:09 PM
Beware. It could be one of your employees (or even a "friend"). Don't tell anybody about your deterants (spelling?).

MTS2357
07-18-2002, 12:05 AM
Join the video age. Three cameras, two decks. Signs all around. My sister, who helped me put in the cameras, could not spot them after a week.

Basic items such as solid doors, good locks,bars on windows. Do not overlook the basics.

agrostis palustris
07-18-2002, 12:12 AM
The owners of the building have cameras upstairs for their own stuff. The front of the building is well lit. Next door is a bar which stays open till late, but that is through a bunch of woods which is owned by my guys. In back a couple hundred feet is a house... through more woods. Other side is a chiropractor's office which is never open. The owners are now going to have some cop friends of theirs visit each night to make sure that all is well. I was wondering about putting a chain across the driveways or possibly one of those gates? Any ideas how much they cost??

yardman1
07-18-2002, 12:16 AM
My security is caled a bushmaster AR15 with two 40 round clips attached together.:D :D :D