PDA

View Full Version : Is this safe

thomasglenn
06-03-2010, 01:31 PM
To get under my ztr, rather than jacking it up I tied a tow strap to the ROPS and pulled it up with my truck. I had the rear wheels chocked. Anyone else do this? Oh yeah, I put a jack stand under it while working on taking off the blades and putting them back on.

JMiller08
06-03-2010, 01:46 PM
Eh Ive had many MANY straps fail on me before. I personally wouldnt do it. Takes the same time to get out the floor jack and stands.

topsites
06-03-2010, 01:48 PM
Personally all I ever put under my mower is my arms, still bad enough if it were
to fall but under no circumstances would I put my head, torso, or any part of my
body under it that doesn't absolutely have to go there.

That having been said, I use a floor jack.

JB1
06-03-2010, 01:52 PM
i would love to see a picture of that.

fl-landscapes
06-03-2010, 01:54 PM
drive it half way up your trailer gate with one tire off the side and you can go under and access most of the deck

bohiaa
06-03-2010, 02:40 PM
I useually have myself or a helper stand on the rear of the mower while grabbing the roll bar, then pulling, this lifts the front up then slide a jack stand under the deck.

also, there is some great advice above about not getting under it. Just your arm.
I always take the closeest blade off, then take the center blade off. replacing the center one first. just in case.

Best of luck

mowisme
06-03-2010, 02:54 PM
Can't take chances on being safe. in an instant and you could be dead. You did mention the jack stands-that is good. I use one of those old 3-legged bumper jacks. the legs open up into a tri-pod via chain between the 3 legs so only open so far. The screw lever is on top. just turn the lever like a jack on trailer and up it comes. mower is in neutral. then jack stand is put under just to be safe but leave mower on jack. no chance of hydrolic leak down-it's all mechanical. when not in use folds up nice to fit in truck tool box. I can also put jack under it and jack up without even bending knees or getting on floor ( us over 55 guys look at that kind of stuff) .

thomasglenn
06-03-2010, 02:58 PM
I understand that the strap could fail, thats why the use of the jack stand. The strap I used is rated for a load of 17500 lbs.

Glenn Lawn Care
06-03-2010, 05:12 PM
i would love to see a picture of that.

yeah me too!

FiveOJoe
06-04-2010, 10:23 PM
I've done the halfway on the trailer ramp before, works good.

I'm wondering, has anyone ever mounted (ie: welded) a trailer tongue jack on the front of a Z rider somehow to use for changing blades or cleaning??

I've used the front castor arm on my Bobcat a few times to move my trailer around the yard.