PDA

View Full Version : Planning for Fall Overseed

joshfcb
06-03-2010, 03:45 PM
I am starting to try to get my thoughts together for a fall overseed of my yard. I have owned the house for 2 years now and have overseeded annually, but I have yet to find the right seed.

Background: The house was built on a .75 ac lot in 2005. In the summer of 2006 the owner had the front, sides and small portion of the sides sodded with a turf-type tall fescue. That is all that he knows. I contacted the place that he bought the sod from and they had purged their records.

Soil characteristics: The lot is fairly flat and has normal clay content for western Kentucky which is in the southern portion of zone 6 on the USDA hardiness map. pH was terrible when I bought the house and have made corrections the last 2 falls. I expect pH to be in the normal range when samples are taken in the late summer. I fertilize 3 times/year and would like to get the fourth in but I have a hard time finding a local supplier of a low nitrogen product, much less one that is slow release for for a spring feeding.

There is no in ground irrigation, but I do water, when issues arise. The lot is 90% sun. I have tried the normal lowes seeds, and don't get what I am looking for. I don't have access to a lesco,

I am looking for a dark green, thick bladed tall fescue, that would do well in my area. I need the pros help!

I think I have covered everything, but I will do my best if more questions arise.

clean_cut
06-03-2010, 11:12 PM
Sorry, I can't help you with the "right" seed, but maybe this will...

Google Search: Kentucky Turf Research

Found this webpage:
http://www.uky.edu/Ag/ukturf/

Try clicking recommended Varieties on the left side.

You mentioned that the soil has a lot of clay, it may be a good idea to aerate this fall also to loosen up the soil and make it easier for the grass to grow.