PDA

View Full Version : How should I handle non payers??

AP Lawn Care
06-03-2010, 05:56 PM
I really haven't had to deal with this but I was mowing a new property yesterday and already worked out a deal with the lady that she could pay me monthly. I see the landlord because it's a rental property use it as a chance to tell him who I am and give some business cards when he tells me she's horrible the worse renter he has and he would make her pay me up front for everything. I say s#*t and now I'm worried she isn't going to pay me. If she doesn't how have some of you handle these situations?

Richard Martin
06-03-2010, 06:34 PM
Put it on her credit record and have the collection agency send her letters. www.olddebts.com will do it cheap.

Zak's Pro. Lawn Care
06-04-2010, 12:18 AM
bug the hell out of her until she gets so annoyed that she pays and then never work for her again...this is if she DOES NOT pay so give it to the end of the month and see if she pays

theminigardener7
06-04-2010, 12:28 AM
if it lasts long enough, small claims court

topsites
06-04-2010, 12:29 AM
Wait, don't assume the worst, you just cut it.

Maybe she doesn't pay the landlord on time because he goes behind her back talking smack,
like the other day I think he was telling some lawn guy how bad a renter she is.

And maybe not but give the customer the time she deserves.

bug the hell out of her until she gets so annoyed that she pays and then never work for her again...this is if she DOES NOT pay so give it to the end of the month and see if she pays

Yeah, gotta give her that time first, just wait, try and relax.

rain man
06-04-2010, 12:30 AM
I like the idea of debtors prison but it probably won't work in today's enlightened society.

MikeKle
06-04-2010, 09:37 AM
Give her the benefit of the doubt first, then if she doesnt pay, bug the hell outta her, show up at her door at 7am every day and pound on it until she answers, nothing illegal about this either. I like the idea of a private collection "agency" that does more than send mail and make phone calls if you know what I mean!!

FiveOJoe
06-04-2010, 09:43 AM
Sounds like she may be leaving in 3 and a half weeks.

All_Toro_4ME
06-04-2010, 12:28 PM
AP lawncare: I've had this issue in the past. Stay away from renters at all costs!! They will try everything in the book to get free mowing out of you, give you stories that the check is in the mail, etc. Try sending a demand for payment letter and specify that payment is due in 10 days from the date of the letter. There's examples of demand for payment letters online and also through quickbooks. You can try olddebts or other collection type agencies, but use them as a last resort since they cost extra money. And most important, drop her!!

MarcSmith
06-04-2010, 01:17 PM
one thing I did was make a deal with the landlord to raise their rent by X number of dollars and then I charge the landlord who pays me and he takes it out of the tenants rents. plus the landlord can claim the lawn care a business(rental) expense. if he gave me enough properties he got his yard cut for free....

AP Lawn Care
06-04-2010, 04:31 PM
Yeah maybe I'm just over reacting and I hope so but I wasn't caught off guard with the landlord saying that. I'll wait until next week and see if I can get her to pay for the first mow and maybe work something out after that. I'm just trying to avoid a major blow up on my behalf and have her bad mouth my company when I'm just starting to get rolling in my town. Don't want any bad talk about me or my company.

Fireguy97
06-04-2010, 04:37 PM
You are worse that you *think* that she is. You made the deal. Live with it. Worry about non-payment when and if it happens.

Next time get payment up front for new clients. They don't have a credit/payment record or history with you, do they?

Mick

AP Lawn Care
06-04-2010, 04:42 PM
You are worse that you *think* that she is. You made the deal. Live with it. Worry about non-payment when and if it happens.

Next time get payment up front for new clients. They don't have a credit/payment record or history with you, do they?

Mick

If it makes me worse than so be it!! I was told by someone that she's expected to pay and hasn't many times in the past. That's all I have to go off of so me wondering and being a bit concerned is more than valid in this case. As you state I will wait and worry about it if and when it "may" happen was just curious how some of you have handled these situations.

Fireguy97
06-04-2010, 04:58 PM
just curious how some of you have handled these situations.

By not getting in this situation in the first place, by getting payment up front for new clients until they have some kind of payment record with you. If they can't/won't pay up front, how are they going to pay after the work is done?

Mick

mowisme
06-04-2010, 05:05 PM
just mowed..so give her a chance to pay. When and if she pays..at that point tell her your changing the policy to pay up front per/month. Tell her that is only sensible way to cover you and your cost. If she says 'no way' then walk. You only have 1-mow down.. personally I'd wait on that mowing check (and see that it clears bank) without mowing again..but after reasonable time just eat it. I myself would rather loose 1 hour work than the stress of continually chasing her down. I'd rather get it over and forget about her. But..give her a chance then do the pre-pay. I guess you'd have to tell her right away your not mowing again until the pre-pay for month is in..but you'll most likely make her mad and not get the 1 mow pay. loose 1 mow verses no pay for 3 or 4 mows. This make any sense? I got one that pays every month prior to mowing the upcoming month- i get the check about the 25th every month thru Sept/oct..longer if need be. She is very happy that way.

AP Lawn Care
06-04-2010, 05:05 PM
By not getting in this situation in the first place, by getting payment up front for new clients until they have some kind of payment record with you. If they can't/won't pay up front, how are they going to pay after the work is done?

Mick

All good points, and I'll learn from it. I was trying to give her the benefit of the doubt since she wanted the service for the rest of the year so I agreed to the monthly thing. I know going forward to think a little better rather than just getting excited that we got another full time account.

AP Lawn Care
06-04-2010, 05:07 PM
just mowed..so give her a chance to pay. When and if she pays..at that point tell her your changing the policy to pay up front per/month. Tell her that is only sensible way to cover you and your cost. If she says 'no way' then walk. You only have 1-mow down..so personally I'd wait on it..but after reasonable time just eat it. I myself would rather loose 1 hour work than the stress of continually chasing her down. I'd rather get it over and forget about her. But..give her a chance then do the pre-pay. this make any sense? I got one that pays every month prior to mowing the upcoming month- i get the check about the 25th every month thru Sept/oct..longer if need be.

good advice and I agree if she doesn't pay I'm over it. I'll be out $35 it's not worth getting all pissed over I guess.

unit28
06-04-2010, 07:25 PM
I mowed one for $200 and havn't heard from the guy since.
Supposedly the house was under construction and he's trying to sell.
oh well,
I'm thinking my 272XP will make me feel better.
It eats big trees really fast.:)

MikeKle
06-05-2010, 12:51 AM
A guy I know always wanted to damage the lawns of people who refuse to pay, like dumping lots of the wrong type of fertilizer on their lawns and watch them freak out!!! And if they are in certain neighborhoods, they will be forced to get it fixed!! Yeah he may never see his money, but at least he knows they will be shelling out money to someone and not have a choice about it!!! I should mention Ive never done anything like this, or plan to, I havent really had many payment problems over the years, a few here and there, usually under $50, but if it was a $300 or more bill they were stiffing me on, I may change my mind about things!

rain man
06-05-2010, 02:17 AM
Agree that new unproven customers must pay up front. You just can't tell who is a crook by the way they look or talk. Another thing they do is sometimes to pay you once or twice then string you along so if they get behind on a bill you need a stop service policy ready to go. Don't worry that they will talk about you, you are either getting paid or working for free.

lyube
06-05-2010, 03:20 AM
Brick through the front window.

Mafia style man, gotta be persistent.