PDA

View Full Version : Magnamatic blade cleaner

turf&tree
06-03-2010, 07:06 PM
I just bought a Magnamatic blade cleaner for the shop. I was cleaning 70+ blades per week with a 4-1/2" mini grinder and a wire wheel. Wow what a difference. My cleaning time is cut in half and my hands don't vibrate when I am done. My only concern is brush life. If anyone else has this machine, please chime in on brush life for me. Maybe Gerd will give me a free set for plugging his machine LOLOLOL.
Jim

topsites
06-03-2010, 08:01 PM
Cleaning the blades, don't you mean sharpening?

Two Seasons
06-03-2010, 10:01 PM
No, he means cleaning the blades. Something new that Magna-Matic is offering.

Makes sense if you are doing blade sharpening commercially.

Move on to another thread so you can get to 18K posts!

Magna-Matic
06-04-2010, 11:34 AM
Hello All,

I'm very glad to hear the MAG-12008 has impressed you!

Here is a link to the MAG-12008 Lawn Mower Blade Cleaner
http://www.magna-matic.com/product/mag-12008-lawn-mower-blade-cleaner

We are expecting a very long brush life in the 3-5 year range, so I would not worry to much about that. Our first blade cleaner released in 2001 (MAG-12000) - of all the units sold, we have yet to sell a replacement brush. Those were 12" brushes, and its been nearly 10 years. The new MAG-12008 has 8" brushes.

Thank you,

turf&tree
06-06-2010, 08:48 PM
Yes I meant cleaning the blades. You want them clean before you sharpen them so you can effectively BALANCE them. That is what professionals do !!!

FiveOJoe
06-06-2010, 08:51 PM
Yes I meant cleaning the blades. You want them clean before you sharpen them so you can effectively BALANCE them. That is what professionals do !!!

I must be a hack then, I've been sharpening blades for 41 years without balancing them. Had exactly 0 issues with my unprofessional habits. No spindles bearings, nothing.

Two Seasons
06-06-2010, 09:39 PM
I must be a hack then, I've been sharpening blades for 41 years without balancing them. Had exactly 0 issues with my unprofessional habits. No spindles bearings, nothing.

Let's see some pics of these "wonderful" blades then. Entire blade and closeups with the ends clearly visible.

cgaengineer
06-06-2010, 09:40 PM

I dont balance mine either, but they are only 14" long...for that matter I dont balance any of them.

topsites
06-06-2010, 09:55 PM

Sorry it's just been a while since I heard of such a dumb thing to do,
you don't apply a thin film of oil to them after you sharpen?
To keep them from rusting?

Between cleaning the underside of the deck, now blade cleaning,
what's next, a tire cleaner to get the poop out?

Y'all, I ain't cleaned any part of my mowers in many years.
But dog poop, I must admit that could get unprofessional.

LOL!
Hey man, guess seeing how we're in the minority, we might have
to form a club of "the unclean blade hacks."
Oh, you did say balance, now I do check that but I admit I only check about every 3rd or 4th blade.

FiveOJoe
06-06-2010, 10:06 PM
Let's see some pics of these "wonderful" blades then. Entire blade and closeups with the ends clearly visible.

My comment wasn't a challenge. My blades look just fine. Even, no thin sails, no end splitting, not oversharp, even wear and no giant nicks. Otherwise I throw them away rather than grinding and grinding to make them "balanced." I don't run blades that are shaped like a samuri sword, I throw them away.
I change blades often, so I get a look at them a lot. You could have a guy go out with a new set of blades and hit something on the first lawn and, if he doesn't say anything, run unbalanced or bent blades all day or all week depending how often you change them.
Just stating I have never had a blade issue. I'm not a giant business, I've owned as many as 5 big mowers and as few as one (now) Maybe I'm old school, maybe I've been doing it long enough, but I have no problems, and I have never balanced a blade. Now, if looking at them, stacking them as a set and comparing them is construed as balancing, guilty,

mr.lawn works
06-06-2010, 10:42 PM
My comment wasn't a challenge. My blades look just fine. Even, no thin sails, no end splitting, not oversharp, even wear and no giant nicks. Otherwise I throw them away rather than grinding and grinding to make them "balanced." I don't run blades that are shaped like a samuri sword, I throw them away.
I change blades often, so I get a look at them a lot. You could have a guy go out with a new set of blades and hit something on the first lawn and, if he doesn't say anything, run unbalanced or bent blades all day or all week depending how often you change them.
Just stating I have never had a blade issue. I'm not a giant business, I've owned as many as 5 big mowers and as few as one (now) Maybe I'm old school, maybe I've been doing it long enough, but I have no problems, and I have never balanced a blade. Now, if looking at them, stacking them as a set and comparing them is construed as balancing, guilty,

I'm hearing ya on the not balancing part and my dad did the same when he was in the lawn mower selling, & servicing buss. He swore up and down it didnt matter the first stick or rock u hit they were unbalanced. 0 problems as well but as i have magna-matics blade sharpener & balancer i do balance my blades as a gd habit and lookin into the cleaner as well!!!

cgaengineer
06-06-2010, 10:47 PM
I keep my sets separated as another poster does...
Posted via Mobile Device