PDA

View Full Version : Backpack vs. handheld Blower

trook
06-03-2010, 08:15 PM
I am in the market for a blower. I notice that the professionals use backpack blowers. I do work on the side and may not NEED the best, but I like to purchase quality equipment that will meet or exceed my expectations and that will last.

I realize that backpack blowers are more powerful than a handheld and they may be more comfortable if you are blowing grass clippings for 20 minutes at a time. However for someone like me who would use a blower 2-3 hours a week, is the cost of the backpack worth it over the handheld? What other advantages does the backpack have over the handheld? By the way, I will be purchasing a Stihl.

ewemule
06-03-2010, 08:36 PM
I currently run a Dolmar 250.4 handheld. It's awesome ! Lightweight and plenty of oomph for casual blowing. I've had it for almost 2 years. Many long hours of leaf blowing in the Fall.
I'm interested in a backup and am looking at a backpack one for heavier Fall work. I guess they each have their place.
Marty

JDExmark
06-03-2010, 08:58 PM
hand held pro models are extremely strong. i have a red max hand held - does a great job.

wouldn't want it for a prolonged period of time though.... that's when back packs come into play

for the end of cutting blowing of walks and driveways - handheld will be fine and easier

just my two cents...

Grubrunner
06-03-2010, 09:00 PM
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=142738

suavematt
06-03-2010, 09:51 PM
HAha... I'm in reverse from most.. I had a back-pack blower & went out & bought a Stihl hand-held blower & wouldn't go back. However, I don't use mine for fall leaf-removals.. just blow-clean commercial/residential side-walks & parking lots after I mow.
It works great for what I do & is a lot less hassle; But if I actually NEEDED the extra wind-power, I'd rather get a back-pack again than a hand held in each hand. haha...
Buy from a quality name brand & you'll be fine either way.

Later!

~ :cool: Suave'

ajslands
06-03-2010, 10:01 PM
I use echo back pack blowers so I'll recomend that to you, they hold more fuel and you don't have to move the whole unit to get the air flow where you want it.

However, shindawa *spelling* has the most powerful blower on the market if you're looking for that.

And if you're a major earth person then you could get the propane powered blower.
Posted via Mobile Device

BINKY1902
06-03-2010, 10:30 PM
I have the Stihl BR 600, its ok. Real powerful but you have to constantly put gas in it. It has a large tank but it burns it fast. My tube messed up after about a month of blowing. The dealer looked at it and said nothing was wrong. Funny how people tell you nothing is wrong when it's your dang equipment and use it everyday. I wish I would have gotten an Echo really. The Magnum is good on leaf cleanups though. Kind of a pain for just general sidewalk blowing.

TMlawncare
06-03-2010, 10:39 PM
For leaf cleanups and very large apt complexes we use the backpacks. For all other accounts we pack two Redmax commercial handhelds. The are lightweight, quick and easy to grab and go. They also have a suprising amount of power.

integrityman
06-03-2010, 11:26 PM
I use my Stihl br600 constantly and love it. It is great for cleanups and for working when there is a breeze. I love its power and ability to blast the grass off drives and walks.

Sammy
06-04-2010, 12:38 AM
Get the Stihl BG86.

cbkc
06-04-2010, 01:12 AM
I just bought the BG 86 and have used it a few times and really like it. I had a Echo BackPack blower but it was big and bulky there wasn't much advantage to it. For what you are doing I wouldn't spend the extra money on the backpack blower. The handheld is easier to "get it and get blowing" so it will save you time in the end. The throttle on the BG 86 is also easy to use.

JoeHop6299
06-04-2010, 02:04 AM
Get the Stihl BG86.

We have three Stihl BG86, they are tuff as hell, I just purchased a Stihl 600 backpack blower, I too think it uses to much fuel. Nice for big parking lots though.

If you want to save the money for now,just go with the BG 86,thats all we used for years. They are nice grab and blows.

Alan0354
06-04-2010, 03:02 AM
I am in the market for a blower. I notice that the professionals use backpack blowers. I do work on the side and may not NEED the best, but I like to purchase quality equipment that will meet or exceed my expectations and that will last.

I realize that backpack blowers are more powerful than a handheld and they may be more comfortable if you are blowing grass clippings for 20 minutes at a time. However for someone like me who would use a blower 2-3 hours a week, is the cost of the backpack worth it over the handheld? What other advantages does the backpack have over the handheld? By the way, I will be purchasing a Stihl.

Hand held is very useful if you want a quick blow that don't last over 5 to 10 minutes. Any longer than that is for the birds!!!

If you have to blow up to 3 hours a week, I would get a bp. If you want to start small, get the Husqvarna 150Bt which is same as RedMax EBZ5100 for $299. It is stronger than any hand held, reliable, cheap and light.

I have both and I use hand held for quicky only. BUT I have to say I cannot live without it.