PDA

View Full Version : 2003 Scag Tiger Cub 48inch

jay317
06-03-2010, 10:09 PM
Im about to purchase a 2003 Scag Tiger Cub with 300hrs will be using it for residental and commercial cutting but mostly residental,whats the difference in the 03 model vs the new models and will this unit hold up to my expectations,thanks

Bluffman
06-03-2010, 10:26 PM
An '03 will have the "Advantage" deck whereas the newer ones went to a deck called "Velocity plus" which features a larger discharge opening and somewhat revamped deck design. From what I hear, the older style advantage deck is "good" but not quite "as good" as the velocity plus decks. I cannot speak with any authority on the older ones though. What engine is on the "03 you're looking at? That would be my bigger concern. The Kawasakis and Kohlers are excellent engines. If it's a Briggs...tread carefully. The TC is a great compact, fully commercial mower and they're built like tanks. The "promo" models offered a few less bell and whistles with Briggs engines, pneumatic front tires (which can and do go flat), a fixed ROPS and non adjustable steering levers. These were sold at less cost to attract the homeowner/light commercial customer. While still excellent units, they were and are in less demand to the commercial cutters and those looking for first rate mowers. Do a little research on what it actually is. 300 hours is very little time on the better engines and assuming the rest of the mower has been maintained such as fluid changes, spindle lubrication etc... it may be an excellent buy. Good luck.

jay317
06-03-2010, 10:37 PM
Thanks a lot for the info An '03 will have the "Advantage" deck whereas the newer ones went to a deck called "Velocity plus" which features a larger discharge opening and somewhat revamped deck design. From what I hear, the older style advantage deck is "good" but not quite "as good" as the velocity plus decks. I cannot speak with any authority on the older ones though. What engine is on the "03 you're looking at? That would be my bigger concern. The Kawasakis and Kohlers are excellent engines. If it's a Briggs...tread carefully. The TC is a great compact, fully commercial mower and they're built like tanks. The "promo" models offered a few less bell and whistles with Briggs engines, pneumatic front tires (which can and do go flat), a fixed ROPS and non adjustable steering levers. These were sold at less cost to attract the homeowner/light commercial customer. While still excellent units, they were and are in less demand to the commercial cutters and those looking for first rate mowers. Do a little research on what it actually is. 300 hours is very little time on the better engines and assuming the rest of the mower has been maintained such as fluid changes, spindle lubrication etc... it may be an excellent buy. Good luck.
Posted via Mobile Device