PDA

View Full Version : I hit a metal rod today. I'm scared to look

bigfish5
06-03-2010, 11:31 PM
Well today I swung by my buddies house, he is a lifelong friend so I mow his yard for free. Anyway I am mowing his yard and I forgot that he had a metal rod with a loop on the end buried in his back yard. He uses it to tie up his rotty. Well I hit this thing and it makes a racket and shuts the mower off. I turn off the blade and restart the mower and engage the blades and off I go, mowing just fine. When I got home it was almost dark so I have not looked under the deck yet, I'm guessing one of my blades will be gouged real good, is there anything else I should look for?
Posted via Mobile Device

BINKY1902
06-03-2010, 11:35 PM
You need to take the blade off. I would not engage the blades because the blade will be very unbalanced probably. You might see if you have play in the bearing in the spindle. Probably just bent a blade and need to replace it.

jhawk60
06-03-2010, 11:50 PM
I hit the edge of a manhole cover, took a good quarter inch off the edge of it and made a nice chamfer for about a foot around the outside edge. Blade was still sharp and balanced, you couldn't even tell where it contacted the blade.

topsites
06-03-2010, 11:53 PM
You'll want to set the blade on a level surface to make sure it didn't bend it.

bigfish5
06-04-2010, 12:10 AM
Posted via Mobile Device

bigfish5
06-04-2010, 12:14 AM
I can tell u this. I mowed about 3 more acres after I hit it and the grass was
cut just fine. I will get under there in the morning. If it looks suspicious I will change them out, I have a set of fresh blades if needed. Loving my Exmark hp so far. I even like my triton deck. Bout time for me to see if the underside of the deck needs scraping anywAy.
Posted via Mobile Device

ACA L&L
06-04-2010, 01:45 AM
the walkers have a number of shear pins on the blade, the shaft and so forth, they are there to help prevent major damage, from the sound of it, your golden other than a possible bent blade.

MikeKle
06-04-2010, 08:14 AM
Ive hit a rod which was in concrete, I had to replace the spindle and it broke the blade in two pieces! but it sounds like yours is ok, it probably just pushed the steel eyelet over upon hitting it.

JANDG
06-04-2010, 09:05 AM
I ran over a 5' T post I forgot to pick up from earlly day work on my property & actually tried to stop at full speed as I seen it to late. Cut it 3/4 in half & drove it way into ground. Only bent the blade on a CC M72KW Tank. I now look very hard for such things.
Joe

creedua
06-04-2010, 11:23 AM
I hit a utility pole anchor the other day, it destroyed one of the blades. Who knows how deep that sucker is, so now I trim around it first thing. Owner doesnt want it removed.

Snowgov
06-04-2010, 11:34 AM
Guys, so if this happens at a job site do you tack on some extra $$$ to the bill for repairs, or do you eat this type of problem. I got a big dog rope tangled up in my blades the other day cutting thru high grass. I didn't wreck anything but lost a lot of time cutting it out. Thanks.

Magna-Matic
06-04-2010, 12:29 PM
Hello All,

Just a safety reminder when hitting foreign objects with your blades.

ALWAYS clean blades before service to inspect for fractures to minimize the risk of complete blade breakage of an impact.
BALANCE - understand that balance is the distribution of weight. If you remove material from a blade it will be out of balance. If a chunk is missing out of one end of the blade, there is no question it will be severely out of balance, because weight has been removed from one side and not the other.
ACCURATE balance reading is critical in making a determination - a nail in the wall or table top cone is not perfectly in the center of the mounting hole, therefore the balance reading will be false.
NEVER try to re-bend or weld lawn mower blades they are austempered, and bending them will cause fractures in the steel. This will make it very likely that the next curb or utility rod hit will break the blade and cause a part of the blade to eject from the deck. Welding blades will damage the temper due to the extreme heat during welding.

Just some points to remember, one blade is not worth the risk of an accident, if there is a question of the blade's integrity after a substantial impact, do not re-use it.

Here is a link to our balancing instrument for lawn mower blades, we originated the product, and it has been the industry standard since 1958.
http://www.magna-matic.com/product/mag-1000-blade-balancing-instrument

Stay safe out there!

yardatwork
06-04-2010, 02:21 PM
Mow away...unbalanced...honestly, it isn't like he drove over a boulder and the blades are bent at a 90. Even if there is a nick and slightly unbalanced, the tractor will be just fine. These mowers are made to take abuse! If the cut quality still looks good...then you're good.