PDA

View Full Version : Exmark 21...Done with it!

brian mon
06-04-2010, 01:22 AM
Well after only about a month I sold it back to the dealer for a $200. loss. In my opinion the commercial "21 AS" was a POS!!! Here's what happened, first day belt got so loose I had to use as a push mower, tools to far away to fix. Fix that ok np, then read about all the belt problems here on LS, and told my dealer to read the posts and order me the kit for the belt and they did. Before I could install, belt fell off mowing flat ground, ok fix it again. Then mowing and could not get it to restart after emptying the bag, found the linkage for operator presence was not working right and had to raise up the ground contact so the thing would start, but now it would not shut off without pushing down on the ground switch (make sure you take the screwdriver w/you). And last thing it just died while mowing, and felt like it seized up, could not pull cord or move the blade. OK now I'm mad I don't use it much but I do need it every day. Went back to dealer on a rain day, warned them on my way there to be ready I was pissed off! Told them if I could I'd sell this POS back to them, they did'nt think that would work. Talked with my other dealer who carries Toro, he will sell me a Super Recycler 20095 for $600. So told the Exmark dealer I'll take $600. and they said OK. So now I got a mower that works, and good bye to the exmark. So anyone thinking of buying one of these don't, go w/Toro, Honda, JD anyone Exmark they still can not make a 21'' mower.

MOHUSTLER
06-04-2010, 08:24 AM
Sounds like they need to hit up the R&D dept and see what fell through the cracks. Mowing problems on flat ground should have been resolved before it hit the market.

brian mon
06-04-2010, 08:54 AM
R&D would help...or maybe they should just stick w/what they know, and only make the 36'' and up.........

Exmark PR
06-08-2010, 03:42 PM
Thanks for your feedback on the Commercial 21. We’ll be sure to pass this information along to the teams here at Exmark. We’re always looking for ways to improve the units and your feedback makes that possible. If you’d like additional follow up about your specific issue with the Commercial 21, send your contact information to exmarkpr@exmark.com.

bobhardt
06-08-2010, 07:36 PM
I've had pretty good luck with my commercial 21. Mine isnt the AS model and it has had all the updates.

zak406
06-08-2010, 09:02 PM
Mine also has all the updates, however mine is not the as model either NO problems at all....

Roger
06-08-2010, 10:06 PM
There have been several threads about this mower. It sounds like many have bought, and are successfully using their machines. But, we have also read a couple of cases where people are unhappy, and have expressed their displeasure with the mower.

Despite threads like this one, I would not hesitate to buy this machine at all. Every machine has some incidents with some users, and, for whatever reason, those users are unhappy with the machine. These problems do not appear to be systemic, rather isolated problems. When the Exmark 26" machine first came to market, it had systemic problems. Based upon comments on LS, this machine does not seem to have systemic problems.

We have all had a machine for which we've had problems, and we've made "mountains from mole hills" about the incident. I stand first in that line. We are unfair to extrapolate a few isolated reports to characterize this machine in a negative light. This is not to doubt the reporter's comments. But, the isolated comments do not seem to follow a pattern (that was so evident in the 26" hand mower a few years ago).

zak406
06-09-2010, 05:31 PM
A little info I can give you guys. I talked to my dealer this past weekend and the engine bail problem should be fixed shortly ( the safety bail cable itself is on back order) I fixed mine by putting a fishing sinker inside the spring on the handle. That solved the not starting problem.

joed
06-09-2010, 09:21 PM
There have been several threads about this mower. It sounds like many have bought, and are successfully using their machines. But, we have also read a couple of cases where people are unhappy, and have expressed their displeasure with the mower.

Despite threads like this one, I would not hesitate to buy this machine at all. Every machine has some incidents with some users, and, for whatever reason, those users are unhappy with the machine. These problems do not appear to be systemic, rather isolated problems. When the Exmark 26" machine first came to market, it had systemic problems. Based upon comments on LS, this machine does not seem to have systemic problems.

We have all had a machine for which we've had problems, and we've made "mountains from mole hills" about the incident. I stand first in that line. We are unfair to extrapolate a few isolated reports to characterize this machine in a negative light. This is not to doubt the reporter's comments. But, the isolated comments do not seem to follow a pattern (that was so evident in the 26" hand mower a few years ago).

Good points Roger. As an owner of one of the first series of 26" metros produced in 2005, I can attest to how explosive the problems were. The 21" exmark does appear to be a good mower. I was wondering how it mulches since one of the complaints of early users is the fact that it did not mulch well at all.

bobhardt
06-09-2010, 10:47 PM
Good points Roger. As an owner of one of the first series of 26" metros produced in 2005, I can attest to how explosive the problems were. The 21" exmark does appear to be a good mower. I was wondering how it mulches since one of the complaints of early users is the fact that it did not mulch well at all.

I think it bags very good. However as a mulcher the deck does have a tendency to plug up fast if the grass is damp at all. I think my Honda was a better mulcher.

zak406
06-09-2010, 10:56 PM
I have very few problems mulching i was impressed by it..

bobhardt
06-11-2010, 08:58 PM
I have very few problems mulching i was impressed by it..

Are you using the blade that came with it when mulching?

TheC-Master
06-11-2010, 09:36 PM
I like mine a lot and I think it is a great machine and mulcher. Yea, we all have those problems with our machines and companies. There are some people that will swear by AT&T and some that will hate it, that's just the way it goes.

dishboy
06-12-2010, 08:48 AM
Thanks for your feedback on the Commercial 21. We’ll be sure to pass this information along to the teams here at Exmark. We’re always looking for ways to improve the units and your feedback makes that possible. If you’d like additional follow up about your specific issue with the Commercial 21, send your contact information to exmarkpr@exmark.com.

Like Exmark is going to change something:laugh:,.....example POS Exmark 26" deck design, still waiting for that revision.

Herrick
06-12-2010, 05:40 PM
I just got an exmark 21 AS and was very impressed with it until I put the mulch plug in. There seems to be a ledge under the deck that is catching a ton of clippings and clogging the deck up, leaving clumps everywhere, even after you shut the thing off... anyone had similar issues?

joed
06-12-2010, 06:31 PM
Has anyone been able to compare the new Exmark 21" mowers with the Honda commercial 21" or the Honda HRX mowers which seem to be getting very good reviews.

bobhardt
06-12-2010, 07:49 PM
I just got an exmark 21 AS and was very impressed with it until I put the mulch plug in. There seems to be a ledge under the deck that is catching a ton of clippings and clogging the deck up, leaving clumps everywhere, even after you shut the thing off... anyone had similar issues?

I have the full commercial 21 and mine holds the grass up in the deck untill I shut the blade off. Then it drops it on the ground. I always hear the clippings bouncing around. I havent tried a different blade yet.

Herrick
06-12-2010, 11:48 PM
I have the full commercial 21 and mine holds the grass up in the deck untill I shut the blade off. Then it drops it on the ground. I always hear the clippings bouncing around. I havent tried a different blade yet.

Sounds like exactly what mine is doing. I'll have to check to see if they have a different lower lift blade they reccomend. Really annoying.

bobhardt
06-15-2010, 04:49 PM

I emailed them Saturday night (6/12) with my concerns about the way mine mulches. Still no response but what do I want for $1000?:rolleyes:

twcw5804
06-15-2010, 05:20 PM
The model of Toro you are getting sounds very close to mine. I think mine was one number off for California emmissions. Please let me know if you have any issues mulching with this machine. Mine is a Kawi 21'' toro commercial SRM or SM21 deck I forget the initials on it.

Mine leaves a little strip of clumps on the left side like a tire track of grass when mowing. I have to go back and hit it with the blower to disperse the clippings. Also I have 2 of these, same thing on both. I am taking pictures tomorrow and making a seperate thread.

Herrick
06-23-2010, 01:27 AM
Bit of an update... Finally got a chance to try out the new mulching blade I got from the dealer... Left a ton of stingers. I thought it helped quite a bit with the clippings under the deck until I shut the mower off... dropped a huge grass turd on the sidewalk... like the size of your head. Oh, and I had to shut it off cause the belt slipped off the drive pully and got diced into 3 pieces. Guess it's back to the 20 year old Lawn Boy.

Sorry Exmark, this thing is a heap. I'd like my money back now...

bobhardt
06-23-2010, 11:28 AM
I hate mine for mulching. Constantly dropping clippings when making my turns or stopping the blade. I sent an email to Exmark 2 weeks ago and they still havent gotten back to me with a solution. Its a good bagger and I like the pressurized oiling system but Im back to my Honda for mulching which works great.

bobhardt
06-23-2010, 02:20 PM
Herrick,
Do you know what the part number is of the mulch blade that you tried?

Herrick
06-23-2010, 05:45 PM
Herrick,
Do you know what the part number is of the mulch blade that you tried?

Not off hand... looks like a standard low-lift type blade. The one that came on it was more of a gator style. I'll try to remember to look.

BCR840
08-06-2010, 09:59 AM
Just found this thread... I bought the exmark 21" AS. Belt has fallen off several times, when cutting "moist" grass it clogs up, the grass stays up in the deck and to be cleaned out to continue or it start leaving stragglers. Usually have to double cut. Would not crank, found out that throttle cable with groung bar attached was stretched out, called my dealer and they told me Exmark sent out a bulletin about this. It said to install a "split shot" fishing weight on the line inorder to shorten the length. Did not work, I had to cut a piece of plastic to slide in there and tie wrap the bale so the brake/clutch would not burn up, they have now ordered a new cable. Also on several occassions the mower would not stop even after letting the bale go. I have spent more time troubleshooting problems than actually using it. I would not have a problem with some of these issues except that it clogs up while mulching and has to be cleaned out. I will also say that if you do not clean out the deck after each time it clogs up, it will wear out the outside of the blade tips so bad that you will have to get a new blade. I have put maybe 8 hours on it and had to buy a new blade. Oh yea.... the pull string has almost worn through right in the middle for some reason, will have to replace it also.I want to sell it back to my dealer. I would consider trading it in but not sure what the dealer would offer.

bobhardt
08-06-2010, 06:41 PM
Ive got the full commercial 21. Ill be honest. I think its a piece of $hit. Worst mulcher Ive ever had. Grass constantly hanging up in the deck. Exmark support was a freaking joke. Try Exmark blade #EX108-3762-03. It helps quite a bit but it still pukes grass all over when you stop the blade and it will still plug up. I have one on mine now and when I found that it helped I went to order another one and guess what.. backordered for over a month now. Ill never buy another Exmark mower of any type again. I wish Scag made a 21.

BCR840
08-09-2010, 08:24 AM
I am going to take it back to my dealer today and raise a little HELL in the showroom. I don't want this mower at all. I would like them to let me trade it in on somthing that mulches. I dont do alot of bagging with it. They have some Honda's in there but not sure at this what I would go with. I had a Toro before this one that was 10 plus years old when it got stolen, it was a great mulch mower and it was only a stepped up middle of the road version. We will see what happens.