PDA

View Full Version : Hedge trimming delima

dr grass
07-16-2002, 03:39 PM
I have a problem with a client with some fairly large hedges. lets see..... their about 4 1/2 - 5 ft deep. pry a good 25 foot long and maybe 3 1/2 ft high. the problem is that i need to get the hedges 3-4 inches away from the house in the back. their currently rubbing against the house. now because of the depth of the hedges i can not reach the back. i thought about using 2 ladders and a pick like what is used for siding. the only problem is that on the left side of the hedges is a tree that would make that impossible. she asked me about this and i was honest and told her i was dumfounded on how to do it. but i said i would do my homework and figure out the best way to get this done for her. any input would be greatly appreciated on this, as i said im at a lost here as what i can do. i know it can be done, just gotta be creative. let me know if i need to add any additional info on this. thank you greatly.

Shep :dizzy:

ProMo
07-16-2002, 04:02 PM
i use stihl hl75 shaft trimmer a 59" shaft and articulating blade tilted about 70 degrees

Dennis E.
07-16-2002, 04:17 PM
Extended reach trimmers with articulating cutting head.

Lawn-Scapes
07-16-2002, 05:41 PM
Take 8-10 inches off.. and squeeze behind 'em.

greenman
07-16-2002, 09:38 PM
I was trimming holly bushes today with Stihl 45. Had to get them off of the house, so I trimmed about 12 to 18 inches away from the house,squeezed in there, trimmed some more, squeeze, trim.....finally made it out. Trimming hollies really hurts the skin. Then I had a time trying to get in there to blow them out.

ipm
07-16-2002, 09:47 PM
If you have extended sheers they will work nice. If not work your way behind them and cut them. 3-4" you will be cutting them again, next week. I would go a little bit more. What kind of plants are they? And hey from a sales stand point. If you have her believing that it will be a hard job(charge:D )

dr grass
07-16-2002, 09:48 PM
thanks a million for all the input. i asked my client about maybe taking enough off so i could squeeze in there and go that route. she indicated that she only wanted about 3-4 inches taken off. but the pole trimmer with a hedge head on it sounds like a great idea! i seen those b4. i just wasnt thinking i guess ... lol i have a pole pruner with a chainsaw head on it. do you guys think that would work? if not, where could i rent a pole hedge trimmer from?
again, thank you greatly everyone!

Shep :blob4:

ipm
07-16-2002, 09:53 PM
If you can find the trunks of two plants you can squeeze through them. The branches will go back in place, just do it carefully. I was on a job one time and there were huge bed of Eleagnus probably 30 feet wide, and I just worked my through them. I would not rent a peice of equipment$$$. Regular sheers will work fine. That is my 2

wxmn6
07-16-2002, 10:32 PM
That would be impossible to trim hedge 3-4" away from the house because the hedge trimmer must be at least 8" tall and add a couple of inches for clearance from the house so the trimmer motor would not rub against the house. So the only option is to go with shaft trimmer, preferally Stihl. :D

thelawnguy
07-17-2002, 08:21 AM
Start at one end squeeze thru trimming away you may get a few scratches but should be a no-brainer. Its not gonna matter what it looks like nobody can see it back there anyway. Or, if you have a real(30 in minimum) trimmer and have a real (over 6 ft with a 36 sleeve) man do the work the hedges are short enough to just reach over and walk along cutting the backs.