PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone else bought a New Hustler Zeon

Hustler Zeon Owner
06-04-2010, 10:57 AM
I have owned a new Hustler Zeon for about two & a half weeks. It has been back at the Hustler dealer's shop for the past seven days. Being a total electric mower, it has given multiple trouble codes which stop the mower or prevent it from restarting if you happen to stop while mowing. The code that comes up the most often is 2A62. This is related to the handles not being properly positioned. I assumed it was a bad switch. It did it the first day I brought the mower home and took it off the trailer. Other trouble codes it has given are 2A65, 2 A61, 2A41 and 2A44. One of them is related to the seat switch so it's no big deal. This mower has a great cut, quite a novelty to use (being so quiet) and works great on my residential yard. The mower has been stranded out in my yard numerous times since I've purchased/used it. The last time I had to put wheel dollies on it, borrow a neighbor's trailer in order to take it back to the dealer. Unfortunately I had to go buy a used mower just cut my grass with since this one is so unreliable. When I purchased it, I knew I was being a pioneer of sorts with an electric mower but am sorely disappointed that my dealer is telling me nothing is wrong with it although they did recreate the problem once. I had some previous problems with a Hustler a couple of months out of warranty and swore I would never buy another. I've regretted purchasing it already. I'm interested in whether any other Zeon owners are having similiar troubles? Also whether anyone has had trouble with their dealer standing behind the Hustler product. I would expect even that Hustler would want to stand behind a on product since some tweaking/refining could be expected from something new.
Thanks

mowerconsultant
06-04-2010, 11:13 AM
I am sorry you are experiencing the issues you are having.
Can you please email me your information and your dealer information so I can look into this.
Thank you.

Pj

JimQ
06-04-2010, 11:20 AM
I don't think you'll find a lot guys here who have purchased a Zeon. Battery Run-time is still a limiting factor for those who need to cut grass all day long.

I'm sure PJ and Hustler will do what ever it takes to make this right for you. Hang in there. It's just part of being on the cutting edge of technology. 20 years from now when all mowers are electric, you can brag you had one of the first.

Q

cutbetterthanyou
06-04-2010, 04:22 PM
I don't have a zeon but i have a hustler and my dealer was crappy like yours. All you can really do is find a new dealer, or contact hustler. I contacted hustler and they helped with the blow out problem i had, and they contacted the dealer about there lack of service. Luckly i have had no more problems, but if i do i hope hustler contacting them has gotten them straight.

demhustler
06-05-2010, 08:00 PM
I don't think you'll find a lot guys here who have purchased a Zeon. Battery Run-time is still a limiting factor for those who need to cut grass all day long.

I'm sure PJ and Hustler will do what ever it takes to make this right for you. Hang in there. It's just part of being on the cutting edge of technology. 20 years from now when all mowers are electric, you can brag you had one of the first.

Q

Q, what day? it's 60-80 min top + recharge overnight...(8h)
even if you put top-notch lithium - it's +- 30% range /or weight

- good thing they (and ariens) pioneering in this direction (quick/opportunity recharge(50-70%dod), battery swap - could be a solution 4 some applications and a good start);
- bad: loaders, carts, e-tractors(mowers) been here forever, so they not actually pioneering anything; with all available conversion to electric car kits on the market now - they could come-up with more reliable product

Drive Master
06-10-2010, 02:01 PM
You can also contact Hydro-Gear. I think they designed the electric system for the Zeon.

Hustler Zeon Owner
06-24-2010, 10:00 AM
This is an overdue update on my Hustler Zeon….previously I posted about a quirk with my new Zeon. I was mainly trying learn if other Zeon owners were having the same code issues since the dealer was unable to reproduce the issue….thus the initial delay in being able to correct the issue. Since then Jamie, Terry and John at Terry’s Tools have put in a lot of time researching the problem and working to resolve the issue. First of all the Zeon is quite a novelty to use being so quiet. The cut quality without the mulching kit is much better than my previous 44 inch Super Mini-Z. My neighbors have been very impressed with it. I’ve cut both my very thick and lush 491 Bermuda lawn as well as a small section of fescue in the back. It cuts both grasses well. The deck is designed where as it never clogs. I have a Kilowatt meter that logs the exact amount of energy that the charger uses. I don’t have the kilowatt dialed in exactly for my power rate yet but it appears it only costs about .70 cents to charge it for 80 to 90 minute run time. Very easy and economical to use. No noise (other than the blades that sound like a fan on steroids) and no fumes.

My previous frustration came with the mower giving codes that prevented it from operating or being moved. And I was also frustrated that I thought my dealer was done investigating the issue…when in fact, the dealer has really stepped up to the plate in working diligently to resolve this issue. It appears it is related to the adjustment of switch that only occurs once the unit is hot and therefore made it difficult to diagnose. This is new technology, so extra time is to be expected. My dealer, Terry’s Tools and Rental in Cumming has gone way above and beyond in working to resolve this issue. As I said previously and as I told Terry the day I bought this mower, I had a problem with my previous Hustler just out of warranty and had not planned to buy another Hustler but ONLY DID SO because of Terry and Jamie at Terry Tools. I’ve since learned that Jamie is the go-to person for problems that other Hustler dealers and the zone rep may have trouble diagnosing. If this was a gas mower, it would have been resolved immediately. They are honest and straight forth to deal with and work very hard to resolve any problem there is with equipment they sell. I would not hesitate to purchase any product from them in the future because I’m confident that no matter what problem I have, I can count on them to make it right. The initial issue with the Zeon was of no doings of theirs yet they were in constant contact with the factory in working to fix it. They came and picked it up/re-delivered, they offered a loaner mower, etc. This was just a result of a new product and new problem that has to be tweaked on to resolve. This is to be expected from a new design. I also must speak highly of Hustler. Within an hour of contacting them about my frustration, I was contacted by a regional rep and a zone rep. Hustler obviously cares about standing behind their product and Terry/Jamie/John at Terry’s Tools are very concerned with operating a stand up business like you would expect from years gone by. They have a customer first mentality. They have been in constant contact with me with updates. The guys at Terry’s Tools have completely resolved my issues and I’m completely happy with my Hustler mower. I wouldn’t hesitate to purchase Hustler products or any other products from Terry’s Tools in Cumming, Georgia based on their excellent customer service.

Thanks Terry's Tools and Hustler!!

I have owned a new Hustler Zeon for about two & a half weeks. It has been back at the Hustler dealer's shop for the past seven days. Being a total electric mower, it has given multiple trouble codes which stop the mower or prevent it from restarting if you happen to stop while mowing. The code that comes up the most often is 2A62. This is related to the handles not being properly positioned. I assumed it was a bad switch. It did it the first day I brought the mower home and took it off the trailer. Other trouble codes it has given are 2A65, 2 A61, 2A41 and 2A44. One of them is related to the seat switch so it's no big deal. This mower has a great cut, quite a novelty to use (being so quiet) and works great on my residential yard. The mower has been stranded out in my yard numerous times since I've purchased/used it. The last time I had to put wheel dollies on it, borrow a neighbor's trailer in order to take it back to the dealer. Unfortunately I had to go buy a used mower just cut my grass with since this one is so unreliable. When I purchased it, I knew I was being a pioneer of sorts with an electric mower but am sorely disappointed that my dealer is telling me nothing is wrong with it although they did recreate the problem once. I had some previous problems with a Hustler a couple of months out of warranty and swore I would never buy another. I've regretted purchasing it already. I'm interested in whether any other Zeon owners are having similiar troubles? Also whether anyone has had trouble with their dealer standing behind the Hustler product. I would expect even that Hustler would want to stand behind a on product since some tweaking/refining could be expected from something new.
Thanks

B Gillespie
06-24-2010, 02:30 PM
I strongly considered one when I bought my Walker. I felt a little uneasy about riding the bleeding edge of Hustler's new technology. In a few years, I will likely own one or a similar model. Less noise and minimal environmental impact would be very nice.
Posted via Mobile Device

mggurley
12-20-2010, 05:16 AM
Bought a Hustler Zeon demo yesterday to mulch an acre of grass at my residence. No mowing feedback until Spring, but the blade noise indicates a much higher blade speed than my 30 year old Hustler 261 is able to achieve. The minimum maintenance (keeping the charger connected during storage, checking the battery water level every 30 uses and a few grease points), comparatively lightweight (800#), and compact design appealed to me. Will let you know how it mows next year.

mggurley
03-15-2011, 03:01 AM
I am very pleased my dealer, Alan, of Henderson Turf and Wear, Milaukie, OR, convinced Hustler to issue me a 2011 price reduction rebate even though I purchased a Zeon mower in the last days of 2010. What a pleasant surprise! Hustler is smart to offer the Zeon at a lower price and accept a longer R&D payback period. I hope to provide operational feedback in a few weeks.

mggurley
05-10-2011, 04:27 AM
After using my Hustler Zeon for 6 hours, I am happy to report that I am very happy with its performance. The blade motors are strong and do not bog down in heavy, wet grass. The cut quality with a mulching kit is excellent even in wet grass and the deck does not scalp. I have not experienced any electronic or charging malfunctions. The drive motors are strong and propel the mower at the advertised top speed with excellent maneuverability. After a little practice using the mower, I am able to mow my acre of grass(not just an open area - has trees, flower beds & slopes) in about 40 minutes and uses a little less than half the battery charge. The convenience factor is great.

oasmith
06-30-2011, 07:42 PM
I just bought a Zeon and so far I'm in love with it. It has lots of power and is so quiet.

Cadence
08-09-2011, 12:36 PM
I bought a ZEON this spring, and am really disappointed. Basically started with the dealer. I originally looked at them last fall, and the price was about $6500. Decided to buy this spring and found out the price had been reduced, Woo Hoo! I contacted the dealer, told him I would buy it, however he would need to order one. It came in about three weeks later. The dealer explained that they are shipped in a crate in pieces, and he had a hard time finding someone to assemble it. I looked the mower over, and noticed grass clippings, hour gauge read 5, and a few scratches. Dealer said oh yea, this is actually a demo model, and the new pricing only applys to demo models. So, anyway, I did buy it. Same problem with mine as previous post. Electronics get confused, and lock up. Often times when going from forward to reverse, the mower will buck and shut down. Basically you need to walk away from the mower for 15-20 minutes and try again. The run time is total make believe. I am lucky to get 50 minutes, and that is if I am cutting little to no grass. Last night I got 36 minutes out of a charge. We have had a hot, wet summer, and the grass was long, but I was still cutting at 4", part of the yard I had cut 4 days ago. With 16 hours charge time, it takes me three days to do my lawn. I have checked and added water to the batteries every 10 hours, but I cannot get more than 50 minutes under ideal conditions. I have emailed Hustler several times, but no answer. I have put the mower on Craigslist for $2000 less than my cost 2.5 months ago, but not a single call. Buying this mower was a complete mistake, and will be an expensive lesson.

landpride
08-09-2011, 01:31 PM
via Hustler's website, they are currently running a sales promotion on the Zeon for $4,999, $2,000 off the list price.

Cadence
08-09-2011, 01:34 PM
Yes, that is what I paid, plus sales tax. Somewhere north of $5350.

landpride
08-09-2011, 01:39 PM
I'm sorry you are having problems, but so glad you didn't pay anywhere near the list price.

BrandonV
08-09-2011, 03:22 PM
that is pretty sexy. I look forward to a true commercial version.