PDA

View Full Version : white smoke coming out of muffler

cfosceola
07-16-2002, 05:15 PM
I was mowing a lawn today, when all of a sudden a **** load of white smoke started blowing out of my muffler, then oil started dripping from it. Any ideas what happened, or even how to fix it.
It is a troy-bilt 33 wide area mower, with tecumseh 8 hp.

A1 Lawn@Landscapes
07-16-2002, 05:50 PM
Does it run any different ? Powerwise?

MOW ED
07-16-2002, 05:50 PM
Originally posted by cfosceola
tecumseh 8 hp.

say no more.

Had one, not on a troy but a snowblower. Bad rod end caps. eventually it will go boom then:angel:

Could also be head gasket. Whatever it is, don't expect any help from that company.

HarryD
07-16-2002, 05:59 PM
It also happens when you put way to much oil in the engine and you mow on a incline or hill thats when the huge puffs of smoke happen . did you change oil in the last day

check oil if it is to full remove some and all should be ok .
used to happen to us all the time when i work for another guy we had 7 crews and about 18 walk behinds and sometimes some dummy would put in too much oil and what your describing would happen everytime

DaveK
07-16-2002, 06:05 PM
The smoke was from oil that entered the cylinder... the oil dripping out the exhaust was the excess oil that didn't burn (which means quite a bit of oil).

There are a few way for oil to get into the cylinder, so having many of us take guesses on which way would be no help.

The only way to find out for sure, is the same way that you will have to fix it... get out the tools and take it apart. :(

Bob Minney
07-16-2002, 06:45 PM
Like HarryD said check your oil level 1st.
Then do a compression test to check valves & rings, a bad head gasket will show up also, but that should have just caused power loss not excess oil consumtion.

sirsweatsalot
07-16-2002, 07:03 PM
were you on a hill or any slant?

cfosceola
07-16-2002, 07:08 PM
Well i drained the oil, guess i put too much in it, replaced with new oil and watched the dip stick real close, started itup, smoked for a minute guess it was the excess in the muffler. mowed and everything seemed alright. ran like it did before. thanks to everyone....

Bob Minney
07-16-2002, 07:13 PM
Smart thing to do, check the easy stuff first. Sometimes we expect disaster when there is none.

Might want to clean the plug also, may have gotten fouled from all the oil.

awm
07-16-2002, 09:37 PM
well i try not to bash brands etc.
but i guess i just did huh. never had any luck withum..