PDA

View Full Version : Hustler vs Ferris

eddiek2000
06-04-2010, 05:37 PM
I am in the market for a ZTR and have settled on the above 2.

The Hustler is a z4 with a 25 HP Kawasaki and 54" deck. The dealer is also throwing in the suspension wheels to sweeten the deal and compare to the Ferris. The second is a Ferris Z1500, 25HP Kawasaki and 48" deck.

I want the power, and my last Kawasaki served me well. I demoed both. The Hustler had the best transmission response of anything I tried. Both ran great. I really didn't care for the way hustler sets their deck height.

I also tried a homeowner level Toro and a Home Depot level cub cadet. I wasn't too impressed with them at all.

Any opinions from the Pros here?

biggziff
06-04-2010, 07:27 PM
What are you looking for?

Speed?

Best cut?

How much are you mowing?

What is your budget?

eddiek2000
06-04-2010, 08:44 PM
I have 1/2 acre manicured lawn and another 1.5 that just needs cut. Speed is good as well as power. I am trying to keep it around 7k, which knocks the botas out. That is how I ended with with these 2. A good cut is required for the 1/2 acre. The Husky I used for the last 9 years never really left me with a "good" cut.

biggziff
06-04-2010, 08:50 PM
Scag with the Velocity deck would be high on my list if I were buying new. I demo'd Ferris, Scag, Exmark and Toro. Ferris was ruled out due to cut and the suspension really doesn't do anything on the 1500 (try it...bounce on it...), Scag was by far the best cut and plenty fast, but I ended up finding a great deal on a 140 hour Exmark. No Hustler dealers here and in fact I couldn't find anyone around here that had seen one used commercially or otherwise.

I cannot imagine mowing faster than my Lazer will go...the cut is perfect now that I have sharpened the blades and set the deck height and tilt. Even my wife commented on how it looks better than what our John Deere has done for the last 10 years.

eddiek2000
06-04-2010, 11:32 PM
Alrighty then. Gonna try to hit the scag dealer up tomorrow.

nmurph
06-05-2010, 12:11 AM
i own two hustlers: a mini fasttrak 42" with a 17hp kohler and a super mini-z with a 27hp kohler and a 52" inch cut. i don't think you will go wrong with the Z. it is essentially a replacement for the mini-z. it leaves a very nice cut, is comfortable (get the suspension seat), very reliable and hustler has the best customer support. post your questions about the Z in the hustler forum. PJ will give you some great info.
btw, i think that scag would be my second choice, though i only know what i have read of them.

eddiek2000
06-06-2010, 10:51 AM
Spoke with the Scag Dealer. My biggest issue is they do not have a 48 or 52 with a 25 or so HP Kawasaki. I would have to get the Wildcat line, and that is 2K more than I was looking at.

Decisions, Decisions. I may need to find a local Exmark dealer to see what they offer.