PDA

View Full Version : Need opinions on used mower that I saw today.

1whitetail
06-04-2010, 07:22 PM
Today I went to look at a used Snapper rear engine rider that I plan on using at my house. It is around 3 years old and is priced about half of what a new one would cost ($625). The mower is in really good shape, the tires and seat look like new. The only thing that has me worried is that it will not start manually. It only starts using the electric start after turning the key 2 or 3 times, after that it seems to run perfect. The engine is a 12.5 Briggs OHV and the mower has a new Die Hard battery. I am wondering if it needs a tune up or if it is something worse. I am also thinking about forgetting about it and just buying a new one even though it is going to cost twice as much ($1450.00) for the same exact mower. I don't want to pay twice as much if it is only a simple problem like a spark plug but I also don't want any headaches that is why I am now considering a new one with a 3 year warranty. Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated, thank you and sorry for the long post.

mbrew
06-04-2010, 09:23 PM
If it's grunting like it doesn't want to turn over, it is likely in need of a valve adjustment which is pretty simple. There are other things it could be also, including another valve related problem that is a bigger deal, but the valve adjustment is what jumps out at me. It does need to be taken care of, because it is very hard on the starter.

topsites
06-04-2010, 09:26 PM
grumble grumble...

1whitetail
06-04-2010, 09:48 PM
The motor is not grunting and it turns without a problem. It just will not start with the recoil even when it is warm. It will only start with the electric start. I guess the electric start turns the engine more time than by me pulling on the recoil 4-5 times :confused:. All of my other lawn equipment except some handhelds start on the first or second pull. Thanks for telling me about the valve adjustment, I will definitely check and adjust it if i end up buying the mower.

1whitetail
06-10-2010, 02:00 AM
There is nothing wrong with the engine. I think it was stale fuel. After I refueled it for the first time having it the problem seems to have cleared. :cool2: