PDA

View Full Version : What do you listen to while you mow?

lawnsaspire
06-04-2010, 11:16 PM
For those of you who wear mp3 or radio hearing protection, what bands or radio shows do you listen to while mowing. I like listening to Mastodon, they do a good job of drowning out the drone of the mower.

KyleOH
06-04-2010, 11:20 PM
half the time the damn z is so loud that can't really make it out to good haha but i like metal, i did mow and forgot to grab my earbuds and my ears rang the rest of the day. so even though its music pumping into your head it still is protection hah

lawnsaspire
06-04-2010, 11:28 PM
Do you like Mastodon?

lawnsaspire
06-04-2010, 11:29 PM
half the time the damn z is so loud that can't really make it out to good haha but i like metal, i did mow and forgot to grab my earbuds and my ears rang the rest of the day. so even though its music pumping into your head it still is protection hah

do you like mastodon?

topsites
06-04-2010, 11:37 PM
My truck's got all the stereo I need, when I work I listen
to the roar of the engine or the sound of silence.

lawnsaspire
06-04-2010, 11:39 PM
My truck's got all the stereo I need, when I work I listen
to the roar of the engine or the sound of silence.

i think you should go out and buy the new Mastodon cd and listen to it while mowing topsites.

freshprince94
06-05-2010, 12:16 AM
Green Day, some metal, some hip hop.

mowerbrad
06-05-2010, 12:22 AM
THUNDER 94.5.....can't be the best country station around.

ajslands
06-05-2010, 12:28 AM
I listen to my iPhone frequently which constists of some linkin park, eminem (1 song), and lots of country
Posted via Mobile Device

Damian
06-05-2010, 01:00 AM
The same J-Pop/Rock and copy of "Jesus Christ Supertar" I put on it a couple of years ago. Some would call me a procastinator, although I have never gotten around to using that term. Maybe tomorrow...

biggziff
06-05-2010, 09:57 AM
I use Shure in-ear headphones which are about equal to on the ear ear protection, then pipe in random play from my iPhone which has 25gb of music ranging from Opera to Public Enemy.

mowisme
06-05-2010, 10:13 AM
Christian..102.5 to be exact. Not thru mp-3 thou but rather thru the yellow type ear protection with built-in radio. (can't think what they are called)

ajslands
06-05-2010, 10:18 AM
Christian..102.5 to be exact. Not thru mp-3 thou but rather thru the yellow type ear protection with built-in radio. (can't think what they are called)

Ao saftey headphones
made by peltor, and the wire for one of the earmuffs break after about 8 months of use.

Those?
Posted via Mobile Device

brucec32
06-06-2010, 12:00 PM
I use a high noise reduction model of Peltors with cheap headphone speakers broken off and shoved inside. The built in stereo version didn't work for me. Bad reception and noise reduction wasn't optimal. I plan on switching to a set of ear buds that have noise reduction qualities, along with the peltors, as I still get too much noise intruding from time to time.

I listen to talk radio, Howard Stern on Sirius/XM, and music you'd never have heard of on a $50 Sansa mp3 player. (still not getting why people pay $200 for an ipod)

biggziff
06-06-2010, 12:14 PM
I use a high noise reduction model of Peltors with cheap headphone speakers broken off and shoved inside. The built in stereo version didn't work for me. Bad reception and noise reduction wasn't optimal. I plan on switching to a set of ear buds that have noise reduction qualities, along with the peltors, as I still get too much noise intruding from time to time.

I listen to talk radio, Howard Stern on Sirius/XM, and music you'd never have heard of on a $50 Sansa mp3 player. (still not getting why people pay $200 for an ipod)

iPods cost $49 and up.

STIHL GUY
06-06-2010, 01:14 PM
i listen to country on the radio

ajslands
06-06-2010, 02:15 PM

Because it's a smart phone and you can run your bussiness from it, and make phone calls and gonon the Internet and text and look at your face book page and play wih the zippo lighter on it and look at the weather and use the gps on it to go places and run muktie apps at once and listen to the radio and watch tv and movies and shows and pod casts and do alot of other cool stuff too! That's why ppl get iPods and iPhones a d I pads.
Posted via Mobile Device

MileHigh
06-06-2010, 02:26 PM
I love music, played guitar for 16 years, and love metal...

But while I'm working, I'm more concerned with safety and hearing the engines and other things.

I wear a bandanna with a hat over it and shindaiwa ear muffs for protection.

I'll rock the hell out when the days over and I'm pounding the pavement with the rig feeling good...

twcw5804
06-06-2010, 02:36 PM
I've loaded my Droid with Jason Aldean, Justin Moore, Rhett Akins, and for fun Rodney Atkins "i got friends with tractors".

I also download from Dave Ramsey website his daily show commercial free. Reminds me why I'm out doing what I do, to be DEBT FREE!

Exact Rototilling
06-06-2010, 03:14 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

93Chevy
06-06-2010, 03:16 PM
I like to rock out to the foreign folk and symphonic metal genres.

Exact Rototilling
06-06-2010, 04:16 PM
Mastodon..? Just pulled them up on Pandora and created a station.....first song pulled up was that band...? Um....will be deleting that station pronto. Think I'd rather listen to the drone of the mower through my Peltor H10A's over that. That is pretty much my least liked genre of music.

I've been a Pandora ONE subscriber for over 5+ months now and now in the last 3+ months a subscriber to Slacker premium since I've owned my Motorola Droid phone. Both music services are well worth the $ for me. I've discovered many genres of music, bands, styles that I really like. Classical is will always be at the core of my favorite.

I currently wear or use Shure SE210 In Ear Monitors that block out roughly -25db of higher frequency noise. Wearing these alone [even at -25db] is frankly not enough to protect you hearing for long periods of noise. You are still going deaf slowly...:nono:..! So to further reduce hearing damage for me I wear an additional layer of the best external hearing protectors on the market [that I know of currently] the Peltor H10A. What this does is block out even more damaging hi frequency noise. Some you will complain and have complained in past threads that external muffs are hot and you don't like those things clamped on your head all day? Fine and dandy then go deaf or use plugs which do help more than nothing. The absolute best protection will be wearing ear plugs plus the additional Peltor H10A's on top of those and forget the music completely. I compromise to some degree and wear the Peltors and Shure IEM's. I just try to not have volume cranked up too high. I just picture some of elderly customers who have hearing aids as a reminder to keep the volume lower.

I'm truly amazed at all the LCO operator in my area that don't wear plugs, or external muffs nothing.....? :dizzy:
Worse yet there are those of you that are blasting music via non-noise isolation headphones to drown out mower/trimmer noise .....your are going deaf faster this way. :hammerhead:

The public schools teach about safe sex and all but they must not be teaching about how the industrialized world is going deaf and how to protect your hearing.

Did you know that people from primitive tribes far from the industrial world have better hearing at the age of 70-80 range than many people do in the industrialized world do at the age of 25-35. Hearing loss is typically permanent. Once it's gone it's gone.

Lehighlawnpros
06-06-2010, 05:13 PM
Good post Exact,
Regarding the necessary amount of hearing protection.

I've been using the soft silicone ear plugs AND a pair of Bilsom Leightning L3 Earmuffs http://www.amazon.com/Bilsom-Leightning-L3-Telescoping-Non-deforming/dp/B0007X9QKK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1275106115&sr=8-1

Works great and very comfortable, the silicone plugs can be re-used for about a month if you wash them with warm water after each use.

Also, be sure to carefully clean your ears of excess earwax regularly (daily is best), otherwise the use of the plugs can push the earwax buildup further in causing issues.
I use a safe tool called an Ear-wiz (google it).

Also, I keep the sides of my Oakleys up above the pads of the earmuffs, this is more comfortable and seals much better.

An under armour type of heatgear hood worn underneath the earmuffs does a great job of keeping the pads from becoming sweaty, keeps the earplugs clean, and adds a little extra cushioning under the muffs.

Darryl G
06-06-2010, 06:08 PM
Classic rock radio station or Metallica (love Death Magnetic - Suicide & Redemption is my favorite), AC/DC, Led Zepplin, Guns n Roses, Clapton, Hellyeah, Neil Young, Aerosmith, Creed, Nirvan, Ozzy, Nickelback. I'd say I listen to AC/DC, Metallica and GnR the most...I like the tempo....keeps me movin'.

B Gillespie
06-06-2010, 07:15 PM
External ear muff style hearing protectors mounted on hard hat for sun protection and Bailey's -29 db noise cancelling mp3 ear buds for Pandora stations ranging from Iggy Pop to Robert Earl Keen. Mitigates the noise of the Walker HD gear boxes very well.
Posted via Mobile Device

sgrenier24
06-06-2010, 08:39 PM
Sure se310's and a ton of Dream Theater
Posted via Mobile Device

thomask
06-06-2010, 09:43 PM
I'm with twcw5804, I got about 20-30 hours of Dave Ramsey's radio show commercial free always on my player ready to go every time I mow. Listening to him every time I'm out, hour after hour on the podcast, helped me build up my equipment and pay off all my consumer debt (student loans, credit card, vehicle, 2nd mortgage) and now have a fully funded 3-6 month emergency fund. I'd love to have listened to a lot of my 80's hair bands every day, but they wouldn't have motivated me to be where I am now in life like Dave Ramsey has. I'll continue to listen to him every time I'm out mowing, but I do occasionally listen to other stuff too, now.

cgaengineer
06-06-2010, 09:49 PM
Godsmack and Nickelback....

Glenn Lawn Care
06-06-2010, 10:16 PM
country, rock, classic rock, miley cyrus. i plug my ipod into my work tunes.

unit28
06-06-2010, 10:29 PM
I don't have headphones so I leave my truck running with the music cranked like roofers do.

only bad thing is I drive an old ice cream truck so all I get to play is the chicken dance song
over and over.

olde_blue
06-06-2010, 10:39 PM
19th century British novels or any classic literature. Music is boring!

punt66
06-06-2010, 10:39 PM
Mastodon..? Just pulled them up on Pandora and created a station.....first song pulled up was that band...? Um....will be deleting that station pronto. Think I'd rather listen to the drone of the mower through my Peltor H10A's over that. That is pretty much my least liked genre of music.

I've been a Pandora ONE subscriber for over 5+ months now and now in the last 3+ months a subscriber to Slacker premium since I've owned my Motorola Droid phone. Both music services are well worth the $ for me. I've discovered many genres of music, bands, styles that I really like. Classical is will always be at the core of my favorite.

I currently wear or use Shure SE210 In Ear Monitors that block out roughly -25db of higher frequency noise. Wearing these alone [even at -25db] is frankly not enough to protect you hearing for long periods of noise. You are still going deaf slowly...:nono:..! So to further reduce hearing damage for me I wear an additional layer of the best external hearing protectors on the market [that I know of currently] the Peltor H10A. What this does is block out even more damaging hi frequency noise. Some you will complain and have complained in past threads that external muffs are hot and you don't like those things clamped on your head all day? Fine and dandy then go deaf or use plugs which do help more than nothing. The absolute best protection will be wearing ear plugs plus the additional Peltor H10A's on top of those and forget the music completely. I compromise to some degree and wear the Peltors and Shure IEM's. I just try to not have volume cranked up too high. I just picture some of elderly customers who have hearing aids as a reminder to keep the volume lower.

I'm truly amazed at all the LCO operator in my area that don't wear plugs, or external muffs nothing.....? :dizzy:
Worse yet there are those of you that are blasting music via non-noise isolation headphones to drown out mower/trimmer noise .....your are going deaf faster this way. :hammerhead:

The public schools teach about safe sex and all but they must not be teaching about how the industrialized world is going deaf and how to protect your hearing.

Did you know that people from primitive tribes far from the industrial world have better hearing at the age of 70-80 range than many people do in the industrialized world do at the age of 25-35. Hearing loss is typically permanent. Once it's gone it's gone.

i am with you. Classical. Keeps me focused. Keeps down stress and allows me to think clearly. No music running equipment though.

nepatsfan
06-06-2010, 10:40 PM
peter paul and mary's greatest hits

cgaengineer
06-06-2010, 10:50 PM
i am with you. Classical. Keeps me focused. Keeps down stress and allows me to think clearly. No music running equipment though.

What a party pooper, you probably wear a safety vest when in the road, safety glasses when mowing and cones on both sides of your truck when parked in the street. :) Do you have a pocket protector too? :)
Posted via Mobile Device

punt66
06-06-2010, 10:53 PM
What a party pooper, you probably wear a safety vest when in the road, safety glasses when mowing and cones on both sides of your truck when parked in the street. :) Do you have a pocket protector too? :)
Posted via Mobile Device

hahah nope. 3 strikes. I do use 1 cone though. No guard on my trimmer! I even use my cell while driving!!!!!!!

cgaengineer
06-06-2010, 10:55 PM
hahah nope. 3 strikes. I do use 1 cone though. No guard on my trimmer! I even use my cell while driving!!!!!!!

No guard on the trimmer! You bad man you! Do you text when driving?
Posted via Mobile Device

punt66
06-06-2010, 10:57 PM
No guard on the trimmer! You bad man you! Do you text when driving?
Posted via Mobile Device

i am not a texting person, but i have sent pics while driving. Rare though. shh dont tell

cgaengineer
06-06-2010, 11:04 PM
i am not a texting person, but i have sent pics while driving. Rare though. shh dont tell

That's it, I'm calling the police...
Posted via Mobile Device

punt66
06-06-2010, 11:11 PM
shoot!!!!!!

B Gillespie
06-06-2010, 11:28 PM
I don't have headphones so I leave my truck running with the music cranked like roofers do.

only bad thing is I drive an old ice cream truck so all I get to play is the chicken dance song
over and over.

...for the win.
Posted via Mobile Device

BadRancher
06-07-2010, 12:03 AM
I only have one yard thats 3.5 acres that I fell comfortable listening to music. I like Slipknot, Disturbed, 5fdp, Country, a lil rap and etc. I like MP3 books too.

outlaw1960
06-07-2010, 12:07 AM
...for the win.
Posted via Mobile Device

Hahahaha....don't post often, but that made me laugh.......thanks

outlaw1960
06-07-2010, 12:09 AM
Hahahaha....don't post often, but that made me laugh.......thanks.............

over and over.

Butler Landscaping
06-07-2010, 12:12 AM
metallica...metal is the best for working

B-Watt
06-07-2010, 12:19 AM
www.pandora.com, on my iphone. It's amazing.

Edit: Whoa, look at that sig!

Hawg City Lawns
06-07-2010, 12:37 AM
i have the iphone knock off so i load that sucker up with some tunes and just hit random only thing that sucks is having to pull it out of my pocket when theres a song im not wanting to hear right then but the phone also comes with a built in radio tuner so sometimes i just listen to the radio and get this you can take phone calls while on the mower already have the earbuds in so just answer it and the noise canceling microphone on the phone helps out too

T.M. LAWNS
06-07-2010, 12:47 AM
What kind of music do you listen to Hawg City?

gc66
06-07-2010, 01:02 AM
32 gigs worth of random play that consists of stavesacre, waterdeep, derek, webb, lifehouse, rolling stones, five for fighting, matthew perryman jones, snow patrol, p.o.d., johnny q. public, jon foremon and switchfoot. and several books by don miller, tim keller, and john eldredge. those are the favs that come to mind,,, but there are hundreds more. i listen to it through my factory ibuds with ear protection on over from my iphone running a gps app that keeps up with my time and pace and average speed per cut,,, always racing myself!!! i guess if i were listening to ramsey instead i might not still be making payments on my iphone though?

rcslawncare
06-07-2010, 01:58 AM
I use the radio on my work tunes, country where I can get it, then a mix station is all I can pick up in most of my locations.

Lazer_Z
06-07-2010, 09:06 AM
Right now in my MP3 player I have : All That Remains, Disturbed, Sevendust, Shinedown, Slipknot, Shadows Fall, Mudvayne and Drowning Pool

Darryl G
06-07-2010, 09:23 AM
Right now in my MP3 player I have : All That Remains, Disturbed, Sevendust, Shinedown, Slipknot, Shadows Fall, Mudvayne and Drowning Pool

Sounds like my son's music list, lol.

Ozz
06-07-2010, 12:27 PM
GNR, Velvet Revolver,Van Halen,Aerosmith,Metallica,Nightwish,... In the morning I listen to Bob & Tom.

Hawg City Lawns
06-07-2010, 03:07 PM
What kind of music do you listen to Hawg City?

i listen to everything from ozzy to taylor swift so rock and country but no rap for me

local stations 93.3 94.3 98.3 103.9 and 104.9
and of course when the hogs or naturals are playing 92.1

T.M. LAWNS
06-07-2010, 03:20 PM
i listen to everything from ozzy to taylor swift so rock and country but no rap for me

local stations 93.3 94.3 98.3 103.9 and 104.9
and of course when the hogs or naturals are playing 92.1

Ya, I listen to 93.3 - 98.3 - 103.9. I can't handle rap :dizzy: I listen to Led Zeppelin, the mighty Van Halen, just about all the good rock from the '80s. I was shocked to hear about Ronnie James Dio, I did'nt know he was sick.

ProStreetCamaro
06-07-2010, 03:23 PM
HOT 99.5 Kane show

Hawg City Lawns
06-07-2010, 03:34 PM
Ya, I listen to 93.3 - 98.3 - 103.9. I can't handle rap :dizzy: I listen to Led Zeppelin, the mighty Van Halen, just about all the good rock from the '80s. I was shocked to hear about Ronnie James Dio, I did'nt know he was sick.

i know holy diver was one of my favorite songs

im on a zz top binge right now

mwh350
06-07-2010, 03:40 PM
I like listening to audio books on my ipod. Currently re-listening to the harry potter series of books.

T.M. LAWNS
06-07-2010, 03:52 PM
i know holy diver was one of my favorite songs

im on a zz top binge right now

Billy Gibbons is the man. I think I have about all their CDs. Rio Grande Mud is my favorite. Do you like SRV?

unit28
06-07-2010, 04:41 PM
another thing I do is with a portable cd and bose ear buds.
I listen to goose and duck calling cd's
Threinen, Foils, Lynch, Stahl.

Now if I can just get to Arkansas in the fall.:cry:

brucec32
06-07-2010, 04:45 PM
iPods cost $49 and up.

Well you are aware that there are various versions, and some of those versions do cost over $200, right? :hammerhead:

I prefer one with a display and enough memory to hold most of my collection, which puts the $50 ones out of the running. I don't, however, need to watch movies on it like some autistic kid who can't deal if he has to look another human being in the eyes while waiting on line somewhere. The closest equivilent to what I got was a Nano at $162 . I'm failing to see how paying triple makes sense, hence the comment. And given the chance that this player will get dropped, lost, wet, or whatever, I'm saving the $100 for replacements.

PS. It'll be tough, but I'm willing to live without the Nano's built in pedometer. :cry:

brucec32
06-07-2010, 04:58 PM
Because it's a smart phone and you can run your bussiness from it, and make phone calls and gonon the Internet and text and look at your face book page and play wih the zippo lighter on it and look at the weather and use the gps on it to go places and run muktie apps at once and listen to the radio and watch tv and movies and shows and pod casts and do alot of other cool stuff too! That's why ppl get iPods and iPhones a d I pads.
Posted via Mobile Device

I'd consider using an expensive smart phone ( what you paid for it by signing a plan isn't what it costs to replace) that I rely on for my livelihood to replace a $50 item that tends to get dropped, ripped out by branches, wet, dusty, etc to be a bad use of available resources.

Then again, I realize full well that I lose points in the hip metrosexual world for not being trendy enough. I just die inside when I don't have a phone with an "app" to twiddle with the 1.5 minutes a day I'm stuck somewhere where I don't have a phone, a tv, a dvd player, a computer, a laptop, a netbook, or any other toy to ensure that I avoid any human face to face contact whatsoever. Do you know I had to wait in line at the grocery store the other day and couldn't even put my head down to stare at my phone like the cool kids do? I had to actually speak to the cashier! For shame! :laugh:

steve m
06-07-2010, 05:16 PM
me I like all kind of music dean martin, pink, sugarland, jimmy buffet, chili peppers, jethro tull, gary allan, led zepplinn, the guess who,