PDA

View Full Version : Switch from a rider to a walk behind????

ga sportsman
06-05-2010, 12:51 PM
Ok I have a deal pending where I'm going to swap my ZTR for a hydro walk behind w/ same size deck and it does have a sulky. Just wondering if I am going to be sorry. Here are my scenarios

My ZTR is an older Grasshopper 225 52" cut w/ 25 Horse Kohler w/ a lot of hours. It runs and cuts great and has never given me any problems, but it's old w/ a lot of hours.

90% of my business is foreclosures that are less than 1 acre lots that 2 guys are in and out in LESS than 35 minutes including cut, trim, edge and blow. (Most are even less than 20 minutes total) I do have a couple of properties (including my yard) where I will cut for an hour and a half or so....my yard is even bigger.....usually about 2 hours of mowing. I'm thinking that I will like a walk behind since I spend more time riding to the properties in my vehicle than I do actually spend at the property. The worst property is gonna be mine for the walk behind but......

Also thinking the walk behind will be lighter for towing purposes thus helping out in the long run.

The walk behind is a Lesco pistol grip hydro w/ 52" deck as well that has very low hours and he is giving me some boot, so that is a good deal for me. It does also include a sulky, so it's not like I would actually be walking.....just standing.

I haven't actually sealed the deal yet. Keep going back and forth but I'm really leaning toward trading right now. I would love to have both, but child support on 4 kids won't allow that in the budget. Just wondering if y'all think I'd be making a mistake by trading the older rider for a newer walk behind and some boot.

MnGreen
06-05-2010, 01:17 PM
Don't really see any "benefit" to the deal really.
How old is the Lesco, hrs, and what engine. Sometimes we do things just to be doing things :)
(you feeling a break down in your near future with the G Hop)

ga sportsman
06-05-2010, 02:35 PM
Don't really see any "benefit" to the deal really.
How old is the Lesco, hrs, and what engine. Sometimes we do things just to be doing things :)
(you feeling a break down in your near future with the G Hop)

Not exactly sure of the year on the Lesco, but the hours are about 150. Doesn't look very old. It's the all green model and the paint is still very good. 19 Horse Kaw engine. Not feeling a break down coming, but who knows.....I have been accused of being a swapaholic though.....Thumbs Up.

And, I could certainly use some dough for boot. Any money that child support doesn't know about is always great......:clapping:

ed2hess
06-05-2010, 06:31 PM
If you are mowing properties that has tall grass/weeds and maybe got rock/junk etc. it is hard to deal with that on a WB. On the rider you can see it easier and raise the deck to get over stuff.

93Chevy
06-05-2010, 06:45 PM
I don't know if you bag at all or not...probably not if you're doing foreclosures, but bagging SUCKS with walk behinds.

I hate walk behinds...I mean, they have their place and all (hills, small resi lawns, etc) but if you can already get everything with a Z, then why "downgrade?"

lukemelo216
06-05-2010, 08:29 PM
ya I would look into a used ztr to replace your current with. You cant go as fast with a wb and sulky as you can with a ztr. Its close but you get weighed down becasue of the operator. Also, at the end of the day your knees are going to feel it after running a wb with a sulkey.